RSS stuff

This forum is reserved for everything you want to talk about. It could be about programming, opinions, open source programs, development in general, or just cool stuff to share!
upCASE

Post by upCASE »

I'd vote for the standard wxWidgets license. If this really works out, it would be a great showcase for wxWidgets and users should be able to look at the source and use parts of it without restrictions.

Maybe we should add that one can use/modify the source, but if he/she does, they're required to acknowledge that they did so. This would be only to prevent somebody from using parts of the code and simply selling a commercial RSS reader.
wx: svn
Compiler: gcc 4.5.1, VC 2008, eVC 4

"If it was hard to write it should be hard to read..." - the unknown coder
"Try not! Do. Or do not. There is no try." - Yoda
priyank_bolia
wxWorld Domination!
wxWorld Domination!

Post by priyank_bolia »

Does acknowledgement is part of the wxwidgets license. He can even sell after an acknowledgement. Suppose I am working on a similar internet communication thing, and I use the wxRSS framework for my commercial application, then what. If you relase it under GPL, its a different issue, but wxWidgets license is different, which I support.
priyank_bolia
wxWorld Domination!
wxWorld Domination!

Post by priyank_bolia »

Also I read in wxBook there are weakness in wxSocket and use wxCURL. What to say about that.
upCASE

Post by upCASE »

priyank_bolia wrote:Does acknowledgement is part of the wxwidgets license. He can even sell after an acknowledgement. Suppose I am working on a similar internet communication thing, and I use the wxRSS framework for my commercial application, then what. If you relase it under GPL, its a different issue, but wxWidgets license is different, which I support.
I don't see that point in the license. One can distribute binary objects based on the lib without further notice.
Still, I think keeping it the wxWay and contributing this thing would be a good idea. We should write an exception noticed that forces the user to note that he/she used wxWidgets and our code in an "exposed" places (splashcreen, etc.). If they still sell it -> Bad luck for us... It's just like if I hack up a new version of the "forty" demo and sell it for a few bucks...
And then there's another question: If one sells the software, why should a user want to pay for it if he can get almost the same app and functionality for free?
wx: svn
Compiler: gcc 4.5.1, VC 2008, eVC 4

"If it was hard to write it should be hard to read..." - the unknown coder
"Try not! Do. Or do not. There is no try." - Yoda
priyank_bolia
wxWorld Domination!
wxWorld Domination!

Post by priyank_bolia »

And then there's another question: If one sells the software, why should a user want to pay for it if he can get almost the same app and functionality for free?
So then, why you don't want people to use components like splashcreen, when they written for the purpose to use only, in your case modify the wxWidgets license is a bad idea, then should go with the GNU. But I am against the concept of GNU, as a individual developer, what I write is used by big corporation like Red Hat and they earn for the support, but I can't start as an individual a support system.
AkiraDev
Knows some wx things
Knows some wx things

Post by AkiraDev »

Jorg wrote:I'm still all for a RSS reader project. We could use wxMozilla for a browser, and for IE lovers, a frame embedded with IE.
[...]
I personally would like to see a FEED ANYWHERE option where a second destination can be used like a FTP site, which can be synced with the home feed so you know what articles you already read. I read at home and at work, and I always hate to see articles twice.
[...]
All of these features together would make it a strong RSS reader as one of the few that are truely x-platform and extendable
Heheheh... "Feed anywhere" sounds very good Jorg, you really have an eye for the little things which make the difference;)

If you lead the project, count me in, man.
Back, just not as often

Windows Vista SP1, Ubuntu 8.04
MinGW 3.4.5, GCC 4.2.1
Code::Blocks
wxWidgets 2.8.9
Jorg

Post by Jorg »

Hi AkiraDev, would love to but I lack of time for that. Right now I feel I will choke when taking on yet another project to lead. At work I already am project leader, at home I can get around programming, but doing this with some pressure like leading it, would not be a good idea for me at this moment..

I would love to contribute though .. we have so many talented people here, there must be one of them daring to setup a project for it ? ;-)

- Jorgen
Forensic Software Engineer
Netherlands Forensic Insitute
http://english.forensischinstituut.nl/
-------------------------------------
Jorg's WasteBucket
http://www.xs4all.nl/~jorgb/wb
priyank_bolia
wxWorld Domination!
wxWorld Domination!

Post by priyank_bolia »

what will be the need of SQLlite, why have a database, when we already have a xml parser, why not store the data in xml only. XML is the data format most preferred. Rather than installing MySQL also at the user end.

I don't like the wxIFM (soorry for that, but its GUI looks unprofessional), may be we don't need docable things, why not go for custom splitter type of thing as in RSSBandit.
priyank_bolia
wxWorld Domination!
wxWorld Domination!

Post by priyank_bolia »

Also encryption for user accounts and archiving the older feeds and have a backup. THough not a great thing, but cool features.

Also, did any one write some demo decoder for RSS, or what?
Jorg

Post by Jorg »

Well it is nice to have XML, it is most certainly possible to simply merge the new feeds with the old ones. I only want to prevent clogging in mem as I keep a lot of old articles. It makes searching a bit harder as you have to have all of the XML in memory.

But maybe XML is better..

- Jorgen
Jorg's WasteBucket
priyank_bolia
wxWorld Domination!
wxWorld Domination!

Post by priyank_bolia »

for mem clogging I was taking about archiving and encryption.
Jorg

Post by Jorg »

Ryan made a quick RSS feed parser that can parse the contents of what this forum can spew out. That was how we started the discussion in the first place ;-)

http://forums.wxwidgets.org/viewtopic.php?t=2879

Pretty impressive in this small snippet of code. So when we can combine forces I am sure we can come up with something.

Why is wxIFM looking unprofessional? I think splitters are passe, people expect to change the content of their dialog as they see fit. We could use the tabbed possibility of wxIFM very much by opening multiple articles at once ..

I am not advocating it, but I see nothing wrong with wxIFM. It will be a nice showcase

- Jorgen
Jorg's WasteBucket
priyank_bolia
wxWorld Domination!
wxWorld Domination!

Post by priyank_bolia »

I am not against wxIFM, but when you move to dock, the blue arrows needs to be more fancy, also now the fashion is dockable with foldable, as in .NET, used for the tree view in RSS Bandit. I still go for custom splitter like thing, not exactly splitter.
Jorg

Post by Jorg »

Then you are looking at something like wxFoldPanelBar on the side? One panel has the RSS feeds, another panel the search query for example?

- Jorgen
Jorg's WasteBucket
jb_coder
Super wx Problem Solver
Super wx Problem Solver

Post by jb_coder »

One reason to use a database (like SQLite) rather than storing everything in XML is to keep state information such as "has this article been read", and to search based on criteria such as date. XML is great as an exchange format, but processing data is usually easier in other formats. This is probably a highly debated topic, but that's what I've found in my experience.