makefile.gcc:5942: recipe for target 'gcc_mswudll\wxtiff_tif_win32.o' failed (W10)

Do you have a question about makefiles, a compiler or IDE you are using and need to know how to set it up for wxWidgets or why it doesn't compile but other IDE's do ? Post your questions here.
new2wx
In need of some credit
In need of some credit

makefile.gcc:5942: recipe for target 'gcc_mswudll\wxtiff_tif_win32.o' failed (W10)

Post by new2wx »

I downloaded and installed minGW & Code Blocks, and checked it with a basic 'hello, world' C program - OK (except the build wanted to use the c++ compiler). I added the c++ compiler and it worked. I tried a sample Windows graphics program, and that worked, too.
Next I was looking for how to add GUI and found wxWidgets. I downloaded the zip filr (3.0.2) and tried the command-line build using:

mingw32-make -f makefile.gcc SHARED=1 UNICODE=1 BUILD=release

but get an error:

In file included from ../../src/tiff/libtiff/tiffio.h:257:0,
from ../../src/tiff/libtiff/tiffiop.h:59,
from ../../src/tiff/libtiff/tif_win32.c:30:
c:\mingw\include\stdio.h:345:12: error: expected '=', ',', ';', 'asm' or '__attribute__' before '__mingw__snprintf'
extern int __mingw_stdio_redirect__(snprintf)(char*, size_t, const char*, ...);
^
makefile.gcc:5942: recipe for target 'gcc_mswudll\wxtiff_tif_win32.o' failed
mingw32-make: *** [gcc_mswudll\wxtiff_tif_win32.o] Error 1

I opened the stdio.h file, and it doesn't have newlines, so I searched for the text and tried adding a ";", but still get the same error..
stahta01
Ultimate wxWidgets Guru
Ultimate wxWidgets Guru

Re: makefile.gcc:5942: recipe for target 'gcc_mswudll\wxtiff_tif_win32.o' failed (W10)

Post by stahta01 »

Try wxWidget 3.0.3 or patch the 3.0.2 you downloaded.

I am 80% sure this problem was patched between 3.0.2 and 3.0.3.

NOTE: You can also use an older MinGW GCC that works with 3.0.2.

Tim S.
PB
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Re: makefile.gcc:5942: recipe for target 'gcc_mswudll\wxtiff_tif_win32.o' failed (W10)

Post by PB »

I believe the issue was fixed two months ago in the trunk and was not backported to the 3.0.x branch:
https://trac.wxwidgets.org/ticket/17936
ONEEYEMAN
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Post by ONEEYEMAN »

Hi,
On the side note - why do you want to use 3.0.2, when you can get 3.1 version.
Not everything is backported to the stable branch.

Thank you.
new2wx
In need of some credit
In need of some credit

Post by new2wx »

I only downloaded the zip file 10 days ago, from the wxwidgets website.. I didn't see a newer download..
I just tried the 3.0.3 setup.exe (installed into a new directory), and got the same error!
I considered downloading binaries, but I can't tell which version of MinGW I have.. (downloaded from their website)
New Pagodi
Super wx Problem Solver
Super wx Problem Solver

Post by New Pagodi »

new2wx wrote:I only downloaded the zip file 10 days ago, from the wxwidgets website.. I didn't see a newer download..
I just tried the 3.0.3 setup.exe (installed into a new directory), and got the same error!
I considered downloading binaries, but I can't tell which version of MinGW I have.. (downloaded from their website)
3.1.1 should be released either later today or tommorow. It should build fine with MinGW.

I wrote about the problem your having here. As I said there, you can either
1) make a small change to tif_config.h to fix the build issue.
2) use the latest version from git.
3) Use a toolchain from the MinGW64 project. If you go that route, you probably want to use either this for 32 bit development or this for 64 bit development.

I guess now there can be a fourth option: wait for 3.1.1
new2wx
In need of some credit
In need of some credit

Post by new2wx »

I tried the patch on 3.0.3, but got a different error, so I deleted 3.0.2 and 3.0.3 and downloaded 3.1.1 - and got this error:

In file included from ../../src/stc/scintilla/lexers/LexA68k.cxx:13:0:
c:\mingw\include\stdio.h:349:12: error: declaration does not declare anything [-fpermissive]
extern int __mingw_stdio_redirect__(vsnprintf)(char*, size_t, const char*, __VALIST);
^
c:\mingw\include\stdio.h:349:85: error: expected constructor, destructor, or type conversion before ';' token
extern int __mingw_stdio_redirect__(vsnprintf)(char*, size_t, const char*, __VALIST);
^
c:\mingw\include\stdio.h:504:25: error: declaration does not declare anything [-fpermissive]
__cdecl __MINGW_NOTHROW __Wformat_vsnprintf
^
makefile.gcc:6183: recipe for target 'gcc_mswudll\wxscintilla_LexA68k.o' failed
mingw32-make: *** [gcc_mswudll\wxscintilla_LexA68k.o] Error 1
ONEEYEMAN
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Post by ONEEYEMAN »

Hi,
You did use the same command as in the OP, right?
Which version of MinGW do you use? Are you running from the Windows command prompt? Can you run "gcc -v" from the command prompt?

It would also be nice to know where did you get this version of MinGW from.

Thank you.
new2wx
In need of some credit
In need of some credit

Post by new2wx »

I copied the same command as in my original post, which I got from the MinGW website..
https://wiki.wxwidgets.org/Compiling_wx ... with_MinGW

yes, I opened a command prompt window.

This is what I got from gcc -v:

C:\wxWidgets311\build\msw>gcc -v
Using built-in specs.
COLLECT_GCC=gcc
COLLECT_LTO_WRAPPER=c:/mingw/bin/../libexec/gcc/mingw32/6.3.0/lto-wrapper.exe
Target: mingw32
Configured with: ../src/gcc-6.3.0/configure --build=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu --host=mingw32 --target=mingw32 --with-gmp=/mingw --with-mpfr --with-mpc=/mingw --with-isl=/mingw --prefix=/mingw --disable-win32-registry --with-arch=i586 --with-tune=generic --enable-languages=c,c++,objc,obj-c++,fortran,ada --with-pkgversion='MinGW.org GCC-6.3.0-1' --enable-static --enable-shared --enable-threads --with-dwarf2 --disable-sjlj-exceptions --enable-version-specific-runtime-libs --with-libiconv-prefix=/mingw --with-libintl-prefix=/mingw --enable-libstdcxx-debug --enable-libgomp --disable-libvtv --enable-nls
Thread model: win32
gcc version 6.3.0 (MinGW.org GCC-6.3.0-1)

I got minGW from here: https://sourceforge.net/projects/mingw/ ... t/download
new2wx
In need of some credit
In need of some credit

Post by new2wx »

I deleted the MinGW files and started again, and I think the build has completed.. now to try the 'hello, world' example to see if it works..
ONEEYEMAN
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Post by ONEEYEMAN »

Hi,
Don't do any "Hello World" stuff.
Try to build an official "minimal" sample provided with the library. If that works and you can run it - everything is good.

Thank you.