Property sheet ordering

Do you have a question about makefiles, a compiler or IDE you are using and need to know how to set it up for wxWidgets or why it doesn't compile but other IDE's do ? Post your questions here.
Karlovsky120
Knows some wx things
Knows some wx things

Property sheet ordering

Post by Karlovsky120 »

So, I have a project in VS2017, and VS2017 has recently received an update. I have then added all the wxWidgets modules as individual projects to my initial solution and have dealt with build order so they're built in the proper order, my program being built last.

However, I always get this error:

Code: Select all

C:\Programs\Visual Studio 2017\Common7\IDE\VC\VCTargets\Microsoft.Cpp.Common.props(144,5): warning
MSB4211: The property "WindowsTargetPlatformVersion" is being set to a value for the first time, but it was already consumed at
"C:\Programs\Visual Studio 2017\Common7\IDE\VC\VCTargets\Microsoft.Cpp.WindowsSDK.props (29,5)".
I've found this thread and the article linked in it: https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forum ... um=msbuild

but it doesn't tell me how to fix it. From what I can tell, the properties for individual project are not evaluated in an order they should be evaluated.

How do I define the property sheet ordering? What exactly do I need to change?

Also not that I cannot change the project files or anything connected to wxWidgets since it's a submodule in my repository and any changes done to it cannot be saved to the repo.

This question has been posted to stackoverflow (where it belongs) but stackoverflow is being a dick as usual and has declared my question unclear. Since both my project and wxWidgets are running on vc141 toolkit and should be up to date and ordered properly, I don't really know what's going on.

Note that the problem presists even if I unload my own project and leave only wxWidget ones.

I hope I'm not overstepping, since this isn't a strictly wsWidgets question, but I really don't know where else to ask.
PB
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Re: Property sheet ordering

Post by PB »

Karlovsky120 wrote:So, I have a project in VS2017, and VS2017 has recently received an update. I have then added all the wxWidgets modules as individual projects to my initial solution
Sorry, just curious. Why do you do that instead of the usual and recommended way of using a library in C++, i.e., linking them? I can think of disadvantages of doing what you do but cannot really think of any actual long-term benefit?
Karlovsky120
Knows some wx things
Knows some wx things

Post by Karlovsky120 »

In order for me to link anything to my project, I have to compile it.

If I compile it now and use the generated binaries, I'll end up with a problem of compiler version mismatch later down the line, when vs compiler gets an update (which has already happened). in order for me to always have the "freshest" binaries possible, compiled with the compiler I'm using for my own project, the best method is to add wxWidgets to my solution and have all the files available for compilation just one click away. An added benefit is that I don't have to bundle the libraries with my source code which inflates the its size to over a gigabyte. This way, having wxWidgets as a compileable submodule, I don't have to store any wxWidgets code or binaries in my repository, and I always have the compatible binaries.

Added bonus is that anyone who downloads the source code will have binaries compiled with settings adjusted to their system.

Should I approach this another way?

Also, it's important to note that the error appears when I clone the wxWidgets repository and use the provided .sln file (for vs15, which I have). This could indicate that there is a problem with my system setup. not necessarily my solution setup. Any ideas what might have gone wrong?
ONEEYEMAN
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Post by ONEEYEMAN »

Hi,
Are you trying to work with the Git HEAD?
There is a discussion in the wxTrac ticket going on right now about MSVC 2017 proper SDK version.

The best way for you is to clone a fresh copy of the latest release (always) and work with the well known commit based on the latest release.

I just not sure how to achieve that with the sub-modules.

Thank you.
PB
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Post by PB »

Seems like an issue with your setup but unfortunately I do not know how to fix or what can cause it. I even thought that MSVC 2017 is generally binary compatible with MSVC 2015 so I believed there should be no issue just within 2017...

I still believe that doing that like this is very irregular. Imagine doing that in a project that uses several huge toolkits, that would probably be quite impractical if not virtually impossible...