Beaglebone Black with Debian/Jessie, and wxWidgets 3.1.0 ?

Do you have a question about makefiles, a compiler or IDE you are using and need to know how to set it up for wxWidgets or why it doesn't compile but other IDE's do ? Post your questions here.
Parduz
I live to help wx-kind
I live to help wx-kind

Beaglebone Black with Debian/Jessie, and wxWidgets 3.1.0 ?

Post by Parduz »

Premise: i'm an italian Windows developer, and very noob in the linux field...

I tried and failed to compile the wx3.1.0 sources on a BeagleBone Black running his latest debian/jessie image.
I also failed to find any precompiled binary of the 3.1.0 version.
As I have to start developing to show something running to my boss and customer, i've installed the 3.0.2 binaries and i'm going fine, but i'd like to have the 3.1.0 (also 'cause that's what i have in windows).

There's any available compiled library that i can install (using Pacman or Git or whatever)?
Or: there's someone that can guide me step-by-step on compiling the 3.1.0 while keeping the older version functional until i can compile using the 3.1.0?
stahta01
Ultimate wxWidgets Guru
Ultimate wxWidgets Guru

Re: Beaglebone Black with Debian/Jessie, and wxWidgets 3.1.0 ?

Post by stahta01 »

You do know that the wxWidgets 3.1 are development releases and normally are NOT used for production products?

Post your errors you got trying to build wxWidgets 3.1 and you might get some help.

Tim S.
DavidHart
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Beaglebone Black with Debian/Jessie, and wxWidgets 3.1.0 ?

Post by DavidHart »

Hi,
Ive installed the 3.0.2 binaries
That may be your best solution anyway, especially if you will have to support other distros too. On Linux, it's normal to link dynamically to the official packages of a distro version; using a different version means you have to build and maintain that version for each target distro version.
There's any available compiled library that i can install (using Pacman or Git or whatever)?
Yes, for amd/i386, which isn't much help to you. And as I implied above, you can't grab e.g. an Arch version and expect it to work on debian.

If you do decide to use wx3.1.0:
while keeping the older version functional
Configure it (in addition to whatever else you choose) with:
--prefix=$(pwd)
That means it isn't installed, it is used locally in the build directory. So you would do:
mkdir build-dir && cd build-dir
../configure ... --prefix=$(pwd)
make -j
Note the ../ to get the configure script in the parent dir.

You then select that 3.1.0 build by using its wx-config script. Either call it direct by
/full/path/to/build-dir/wx-config
or point to it in the terminal that you use:
PATH=/full/path/to/build-dir/wx-config:$PATH
(You mention that you are new to Linux, so: make sure you use those upper-case letters, and add to PATH with a ':', not a ';'.)
Or: there's someone that can guide me step-by-step on compiling
I've no experience with BeagleBone, but I might be able to help if you post the errors that you get.

Regards,

David