How to add Resources in Code Blocks?

Do you have a question about makefiles, a compiler or IDE you are using and need to know how to set it up for wxWidgets or why it doesn't compile but other IDE's do ? Post your questions here.
Wanderer82
Ultimate wxWidgets Guru
Ultimate wxWidgets Guru

How to add Resources in Code Blocks?

Post by Wanderer82 »

Hello

It happens to me sometimes that Code Blocks crashes. Someties I froget to save the project.

So I added a new wxFrame to the project and when Code Block crashes it won't appear in the project although the files are still available. Also opening the .h or .cpp-file doesn't work.

Can anyone help me how I can add a resource to my project?

Thanks,
Thomas
CJS
Earned a small fee
Earned a small fee

Re: How to add Resources in Code Blocks?

Post by CJS »

To restore a missing wxSmith resource, or port one in from another project:

Make sure you have a copy of the wanted wxSmith file, and the associated source code files, outside of your project, so that Code::Blocks won't affect them, for example you might have:
/wxsmith/MyFrame.wxs
MyFrame.cpp
MyFrame.h
If you are missing your new wxFrame in Resources-->wxsmith in your project you will need to move your wanted files to a completely different directory or another drive. If you are porting the frame or dialog in from another project presumably that is already in a completely different directory.
Now create a new frame in Code::Blocks with the exact same name as your wanted one, e.g. MyFrame. This should create a frame and source code files, and be listed in the project under Resources-->wxsmith. Now close Code::Blocks and if that proceeds normally, replace these newly created wxSmith files with your wanted ones. Check in Code::Blocks that the wanted frame shows up as expected and builds.

Note: When you modify a wxSmith frame or dialog in the editor, Code::Blocks does not save it automatically on a build - make sure you save your changes manually or if there is a crash they will be lost.
CJS
Earned a small fee
Earned a small fee

Post by CJS »

There is a right-click "Add files" that can be used to add wxSmith files to the Projects/Resources/wxsmith branch, and the last time I tried it (in Code::Blocks 16.01) it worked, but I have also found that sometimes the resulting .wxs file in the projects tree only opens up as a text file, showing all the XML stuff instead of opening the dialog visually in wxSmith. I haven't found a systematic explanation for this odd behaviour, which results in having to use the workaround described in my previous post.
ONEEYEMAN
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Post by ONEEYEMAN »

Hi,
For such oddity you might ask the C::B forum/ML.

Thank you.
eranon
Can't get richer than this
Can't get richer than this

Post by eranon »

CJS wrote:There is a right-click "Add files" that can be used to add wxSmith files to the Projects/Resources/wxsmith branch, and the last time I tried it (in Code::Blocks 16.01) it worked, but I have also found that sometimes the resulting .wxs file in the projects tree only opens up as a text file, showing all the XML stuff instead of opening the dialog visually in wxSmith. I haven't found a systematic explanation for this odd behaviour, which results in having to use the workaround described in my previous post.
Already faced this situation in the past... So, I searched and here is the thread in which I finally found a solution (there's maybe better since 2013, but I don't use wxSmith in my current projects in progress): http://forums.codeblocks.org/index.php?topic=9306.0

Where I said:
Solved, but there's maybe a smarter way (so, I'm still interested to know). Here is how I did it :

1) I've created a new dialog from wxSmith ("Add wxDialog" menu item), giving the same class name as the one I want to re-integrate (say "BambiDialog" class).
2) Closed Code::Blocks.
3) Overwritten BambiDialog.wxs, BambiDialog.h and BambiDialog.cpp with my old real files (the ones I want to re-integrate).
4) Re-opened Code::Blocks and all sounds right.
[Ind. dev. - wxWidgets 3.0/3.1 under "Win 7 64-bit, TDM64-GCC" + "OS X 10.9, LLVM Clang"]