What GUI builder for wxPython? wxFormBuilder or another?

This forum can be used to talk about general design strategies, new ideas and questions in general related to wxWidgets. If you feel your questions doesn't fit anywhere, put it here.
eranon
Can't get richer than this

What GUI builder for wxPython? wxFormBuilder or another?

Post by eranon »

Hello all,

This time, I'm on a Python project using wxPython, and I'm looking for the best option about GUI generation. About C++, I was under C::B w/ wxSmith, but for this specific project, my IDE is PyCharm, so I have to find a GUI generator outside of the IDE.

At this time, I tested wxGlade and wxFormBuilder.

wxGlade crashes sometime (too often) on my platform (W7 64-bit), then I eliminated it.

About wxFormBuilder, it sounds nice unless one lack in my opinion : the fact that the inherited classes generation (F6) doesn't preserve my changes (a real problem when you know your GUI will have to progress from time to time ; not planned for sure upfront, I mean). At level of wxFB 3.01.68 RC1, I've yet read it should (changelog says explicitely: "Generation of inherited class preserves all user code changes now (so it can be used more than once) (spedgenius)"), but it didn't preserved anything during my tests (tried with the 3.01.70 and latest 3.5 RC1). I've also find a tool called wxGUp455 (wx Gently Updater) which covers this lack, but it sounds like it's about C++ only.

So, do you use a trick to preserve your own added code (I mean unless copy/paste or a second level of subclassing, of course) to a wxFB-generated class OR do you use another generator which natively take care of this point of the workflow?
[Ind. dev. - wxWidgets 3.0/3.1 under "Win 7 64-bit, TDM64-GCC" + "OS X 10.9, LLVM Clang"]
ONEEYEMAN
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Re: What GUI builder for wxPython? wxFormBuilder or another?

Post by ONEEYEMAN »

Hi, eranon,
Which version of wxGlade did you try? What version?
2 version of the software is provided - one is not very stable on Windows, but the other one works perfectly. Didn't have a single crash or problem.

Thank you.
eranon

Post by eranon »

Hi OneEye, I tried some days ago with wxGlade 0.7.2 on Python 2.7.3 and wxPython 3.0.2.0 under Windows 7 Pro (SP1) 64-bit FR. So, reading your post, I reinstalled it and taken a new try and, this time, no crash w/ a simple frame/sizer/panel/sizer/edit+button sequence :) Well, does wxGlade provides a mechanism to preserve added code (for example, with tagged auto-generated parts like with wxSmith).

About others GUI builders : I read at http://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?ti ... h_features that DialogBlocks and wxDesigner can output Python code... I'm a little surprised. Do you confirm (or not)?
Attachments
snap_0003081.png
snap_0003081.png (11.71 KiB) Viewed 19229 times
[Ind. dev. - wxWidgets 3.0/3.1 under "Win 7 64-bit, TDM64-GCC" + "OS X 10.9, LLVM Clang"]
ONEEYEMAN
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Post by ONEEYEMAN »

eranon,
Couple of things:

1. I'm C++ developer. ;-)
2. I am using wxGlade exclusively, but recently didn't need that - being coding by hand.
3. I didn't try any other RAD tool - started with wxGlade, it satisfied my need, so that's it.

Usually people recommend to get couple, try them and choose one. And so I will follow. ;-)

Everybody have its own taste, preference and specific set of features they are looking for.

Thank you.
eranon

Post by eranon »

Of course, OneEye, I agree with all of that. I thought you were involved in wxGlade ;) Thanks for your feedback anyway.

Well (just for info), I persisted with wxGlade (I like its simplicity), but unfortunately succeded to reproduce the issue I saw some days ago: I opened this bug report https://sourceforge.net/p/wxglade/bugs/185/.

About wxFormBuilder, I opened a report too: https://sourceforge.net/p/wxformbuilder/bugs/173/

About wxDesigner, all the links for download I found seem to go to a blog where I don't see any software. Maybe stopped or hidden, don't know.

About DialogBlocks, I installed the unregistered version and... And unfortunately I only see C++ and XRC.

In case, I also looked at wxCrafter, but no Python too.

Good day or night (4:12 AM in France)
ONEEYEMAN
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Post by ONEEYEMAN »

eranon,
Just for information, you can also ping Carsten (an author of wxGlade on its ML). He is pretty responsive person.

He may ask you to send him the design file where you got the crash and the circumstances of it.

Thank you.
eranon

Post by eranon »

Noted ! Thanks, oneeyeman.
evstevemd
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Post by evstevemd »

eranon wrote: About wxFormBuilder, it sounds nice unless one lack in my opinion : the fact that the inherited classes generation (F6) doesn't preserve my changes
Can you explain what you mean? The last time I used wxFB (long ago BTW) it was perfect.
Can you give an example of your specific case?
Chief Justice: We have trouble dear citizens!
Citizens: What it is his honor?
Chief Justice:Our president is an atheist, who will he swear to?
engineer
Earned a small fee
Earned a small fee

Post by engineer »

I used to work with wxDesigner, but this to be down. What whould be a recent app to create forms and code with today?
J
DavidHart
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DavidHart »

Hi,

Yes, wxDesigner is long gone. You can see what's currently available on this wiki page.

Regards,

David
engineer
Earned a small fee
Earned a small fee

Post by engineer »

hi, ok, I see. A pitty, I liked Robert's tool. We paid for it when I wasusing it in a company. Well the company is also not present anymore at the market, so that is evolution.

I think I ll give codeBlocks a try.
J