Almas Designer Version 0.8 released (not a preview anymore!)

Do you like to promote your wxWidgets based application or component!? Post it here and let's see what the critics have to say. Also, if you found that ONE wx component the world needs to know about, put it here for future reference.
Debster
Knows some wx things
Knows some wx things

Post by Debster »

I'm looking for a GUI Designer which meets the following requirements:

a.) open source
b.) good c++ support
c.) fast and easy too use
d.) plattform independent

So I decided to try your designer. My development plattform is Windows XP and i use mainly the MSVC. The first problem i struggle in was the libxml. I know there is a lib for windows, but so far as i know only for the release version and i like having a debug lib too. Building the libxml under windows was out of the question, because the lib depends on other lib and i want a GUI designer and not spending too much time with the libxml. So i replace it with TinyXML. TinyXML only needs a handfull files so you can easily integrate it in any project. If anybody is interrested in my experience porting Alma to Windows I'm glad to share my thoughts.
heda
Knows some wx things
Knows some wx things

Post by heda »

Hi,
First of all, thanks for trying my app. I'm so glad that you help me with your effort.
I know there is a lib for windows, but so far as i know only for the release version and i like having a debug lib too.
Why a debug lib when you don't want to spend time on libxml?
Building the libxml under windows was out of the question, because the lib depends on other lib and i want a GUI designer and not spending too much time with the libxml.
Yes, you are right. And this is why that I'm interested to release a Windows binary which is statically linked with libxml2. (Is it possible?!)
TinyXML is ok right now; but I have plans which will need writing XML files and AFAIK TinyXML is only a XML parser. Anyway, currently a version with TinyXML is very nice.
If anybody is interrested in my experience porting Almas to Windows I'm glad to share my thoughts.
I am! If you accept, I would like to release a windows binary with your help. I like to know about all of your problems with Almas and your suggestions to make it better.

Finally, looks like that you've built a windows version; how is this app? :wink:

Thanks a lot,
Hedayat Vatankhah
Jorg

Post by Jorg »

Yes, you are right. And this is why that I'm interested to release a Windows binary which is statically linked with libxml2. (Is it possible?!)
TinyXML is ok right now; but I have plans which will need writing XML files and AFAIK TinyXML is only a XML parser. Anyway, currently a version with TinyXML is very nice.
TinyXML can parse and write files. Look at the example, first the guy parses a C++ char array, and writes it to a file, then the file is opened and parsed against the already present contents..

I wanted to switch to LibXML too, but I am put off by the bad compiling and problems i have. The iconv thing, etc.. Whenever I need to really do some heavy duty XML parsing I might consider switching again.

- Jorgen
Forensic Software Engineer
Netherlands Forensic Insitute
http://english.forensischinstituut.nl/
-------------------------------------
Jorg's WasteBucket
http://www.xs4all.nl/~jorgb/wb
heda
Knows some wx things
Knows some wx things

Post by heda »

TinyXML can parse and write files. Look at the example, first the guy parses a C++ char array, and writes it to a file, then the file is opened and parsed against the already present contents..
Thanks! In fact I didn't look at it's examples, but I think I've read that this is a parser only. Well, I may switch to TinyXML in the next version. I don't like the libxml2 dependency too.

Thanks again,
Hedayat
heda
Knows some wx things
Knows some wx things

Post by heda »

Oh, what a mistake! Almas uses xml writing already!!

Anyway, I've removed the libxml2 dependency from my code and now Almas uses tinyXML. So, the next version doesn't need libxml2 and it will come with TinyXML in it. However, if anybody wants the code right now, I can send it for him/her.

Regards,
Hedayat
Debster
Knows some wx things
Knows some wx things

Post by Debster »

Hello heda

i have build a windows version and fixed some problems. i send you the the code as you wish. There are still some bugs and i don't have a clue to support the dynamic plugins under windows.

bye

Debster
heda
Knows some wx things
Knows some wx things

Post by heda »

Hi!
i have build a windows version and fixed some problems. i send you the the code as you wish.
Thanks. Please send your code (more precisely, changed files) for me: [email protected]
Also, it would be nice if you can send me a windows executable (statically linked with wx) and the sample plugin compiled as a dll (again, statically linked with wx!).

Finally, I'm sorry that I didn't said that the executable should be in the same folder as the contents of the data folder. Yes, you know this already!
There are still some bugs and i don't have a clue to support the dynamic plugins under windows.
I don't know why plugins doesn't work under Windows. However, the plugin loader is changed since 0.8 and this one may work!
Please send me the bugs you've found.

Thanks a lot,
Hedayat
heda
Knows some wx things
Knows some wx things

Post by heda »

Hi again,
Almas Designer 0.9 is available here. This version comes with many improvements including:
* Better code generation (the header file is updated when relly needed)
* XRC code generation support
* Much better Windows support (1)
* Many bug fixes
* No libxml2 dependency anymore

(1) After Debster's interest and some bug fixes for Almas, I've decided to spend some time to make it usable under Windows (Thanks Debster).
Notice that it is still a bit buggy under windows (specially menu and toolbar items).

Good Luck
Hedayat Vatankhah