managing graphic and media resources Topic is solved

If you are using the main C++ distribution of wxWidgets, Feel free to ask any question related to wxWidgets development here. This means questions regarding to C++ and wxWidgets, not compile problems.
xargon
Knows some wx things
Knows some wx things

managing graphic and media resources

Post by xargon »

I am getting back into wxWidgets after a long time and quite a newbie with it. The question I have is how to manage my media (AVI files) and graphics resoources (PNG files) in my executable. I am doing all development on linux.

So basically, I have a video that I show at the beginning of my app. I would like to embed the video as some sort of resource into my application and load that into the wxMediaCtrl and show it. I would like to do something similar to all the icons and images that I show on the application front end.

Does anyone know how I might create this using wxWidgets 3.0.2

Many thanks!
doublemax

Re: managing graphic and media resources

Post by doublemax »

Embedding PNGs should be no problem:
https://wiki.wxwidgets.org/Embedding_PNG_Images

But i don't think you can play video files through the memory filesystem. You could embed the video file into the executable like any arbitrary binary data, but you'll probably have to save it do the filesystem in order to play it with wxMediaCtrl.
Use the source, Luke!
xargon
Knows some wx things
Knows some wx things

Re: managing graphic and media resources

Post by xargon »

Thanks so much. Yes, I realized after reading a bit on wxMediaCtrl that this is not possible but I can make do with having a file being distributed with the app as well.