Cannot link from Code::Block. Help?

Do you have a question about makefiles, a compiler or IDE you are using and need to know how to set it up for wxWidgets or why it doesn't compile but other IDE's do ? Post your questions here.
Parduz
Earned some good credits
Earned some good credits

Cannot link from Code::Block. Help?

Post by Parduz » Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:44 pm

I have an already working c++ + wxWidgets app built in Eclipse, with wxWidgets built using MSYS.

Now i'd like to try different IDEs, like CodeLite and Code::Blocks, but when i tried them they did'nt work 'cause i was lacking a build.cfg file they wants.
So i tried a "clean" way, backupped the wxWidgets and build them again using MinGW32-make instead of MSYS.

Trying Code:Block now, i get a lot of "undefined reference" errors, and i can't understand what i've done or set wrong.
I'll try to give here all the related info:
Path to wxWidgets:

Code: Select all

C:\SVILUPPO\TOOLS\wxWidgets
Path variable (the related part)

PATH=C:\SVILUPPO\TOOLS\MinGW\bin;C:\SVILUPPO\TOOLS\MinGW\libexec\gcc\mingw32\4.8.1;
Mingw v4.8.1, make version

C:\SVILUPPO\TOOLS\wxWidgets>mingw32-make -v
    GNU Make 3.82.90
    Built for i686-pc-mingw32
wxWidgets build command:

C:\SVILUPPO\TOOLS\wxWidgets\build\msw>mingw32-make -f makefile.gcc BUILD=debug UNICODE=1 SHARED=0 MONOLITHIC=1
Code::Block build log:

-------------- Build: Debug in MyProject (compiler: GNU GCC Compiler)---------------

mingw32-g++.exe -pipe -mthreads -D__GNUWIN32__ -D__WXMSW__ -DwxUSE_UNICODE -Wall -g -D__WXDEBUG__ -IC:\SVILUPPO\TOOLS\wxWidgets\lib\gcc_lib\mswud -IC:\SVILUPPO\TOOLS\wxWidgets\include -c C:\Source\Codeblocks\Progetti\MyProject\MyProject\src\CustomControls\TAntiAliasedGauge\TAntiAliasedGauge.cpp -o obj\Debug\src\CustomControls\TAntiAliasedGauge\TAntiAliasedGauge.o
    mingw32-g++.exe -pipe -mthreads -D__GNUWIN32__ -D__WXMSW__ -DwxUSE_UNICODE -Wall -g -D__WXDEBUG__ -IC:\SVILUPPO\TOOLS\wxWidgets\lib\gcc_lib\mswud -IC:\SVILUPPO\TOOLS\wxWidgets\include -c C:\Source\Codeblocks\Progetti\MyProject\MyProject\src\fMainForm.cpp -o obj\Debug\src\fMainForm.o
    mingw32-g++.exe -pipe -mthreads -D__GNUWIN32__ -D__WXMSW__ -DwxUSE_UNICODE -Wall -g -D__WXDEBUG__ -IC:\SVILUPPO\TOOLS\wxWidgets\lib\gcc_lib\mswud -IC:\SVILUPPO\TOOLS\wxWidgets\include -c C:\Source\Codeblocks\Progetti\MyProject\MyProject\src\GUI_MainForm.cpp -o obj\Debug\src\GUI_MainForm.o
    mingw32-g++.exe -pipe -mthreads -D__GNUWIN32__ -D__WXMSW__ -DwxUSE_UNICODE -Wall -g -D__WXDEBUG__ -IC:\SVILUPPO\TOOLS\wxWidgets\lib\gcc_lib\mswud -IC:\SVILUPPO\TOOLS\wxWidgets\include -c C:\Source\Codeblocks\Progetti\MyProject\MyProject\src\My_Project.cpp -o obj\Debug\src\My_Project.o
    mingw32-g++.exe -pipe -mthreads -D__GNUWIN32__ -D__WXMSW__ -DwxUSE_UNICODE -Wall -g -D__WXDEBUG__ -IC:\SVILUPPO\TOOLS\wxWidgets\lib\gcc_lib\mswud -IC:\SVILUPPO\TOOLS\wxWidgets\include -c C:\Source\Codeblocks\Progetti\MyProject\MyProject\src\Prova_wxcrafter_bitmaps.cpp -o obj\Debug\src\Prova_wxcrafter_bitmaps.o
    mingw32-g++.exe -pipe -mthreads -D__GNUWIN32__ -D__WXMSW__ -DwxUSE_UNICODE -Wall -g -D__WXDEBUG__ -IC:\SVILUPPO\TOOLS\wxWidgets\lib\gcc_lib\mswud -IC:\SVILUPPO\TOOLS\wxWidgets\include -c C:\Source\Codeblocks\Progetti\MyProject\MyProject\src\Utilities\Utilities.cpp 

mingw32-g++.exe -LC:\SVILUPPO\TOOLS\wxWidgets\lib\gcc_lib -o bin\Debug\MyProject.exe obj\Debug\src\CustomControls\TAntiAliasedGauge\TAntiAliasedGauge.o obj\Debug\src\fMainForm.o obj\Debug\src\GUI_MainForm.o obj\Debug\src\My_Project.o obj\Debug\src\Prova_wxcrafter_bitmaps.o obj\Debug\src\Utilities\Utilities.o  -mthreads  -lwxmsw30ud -lwxpngd -lwxjpegd -lwxtiffd -lwxzlibd -lkernel32 -luser32 -lgdi32 -lwinspool -lcomdlg32 -ladvapi32 -lshell32 -lole32 -loleaut32 -luuid -lcomctl32 -lwsock32 -lodbc32 -mwindows
    C:\SVILUPPO\TOOLS\wxWidgets\lib\gcc_lib/libwxmsw30ud.a(monolib_xml.o): In function `StartElementHnd':
    C:\SVILUPPO\TOOLS\wxWidgets\build\msw/../../src/xml/xml.cpp:637: undefined reference to `XML_GetCurrentLineNumber'
    C:\SVILUPPO\TOOLS\wxWidgets\lib\gcc_lib/libwxmsw30ud.a(monolib_xml.o): In function `TextHnd':
    C:\SVILUPPO\TOOLS\wxWidgets\build\msw/../../src/xml/xml.cpp:687: undefined reference to `XML_GetCurrentLineNumber'
    C:\SVILUPPO\TOOLS\wxWidgets\lib\gcc_lib/libwxmsw30ud.a(monolib_xml.o): In function `StartCdataHnd':
    C:\SVILUPPO\TOOLS\wxWidgets\build\msw/../../src/xml/xml.cpp:702: undefined reference to `XML_GetCurrentLineNumber'
    C:\SVILUPPO\TOOLS\wxWidgets\lib\gcc_lib/libwxmsw30ud.a(monolib_xml.o): In function `CommentHnd':
    C:\SVILUPPO\TOOLS\wxWidgets\build\msw/../../src/xml/xml.cpp:727: undefined reference to `XML_GetCurrentLineNumber'
    C:\SVILUPPO\TOOLS\wxWidgets\lib\gcc_lib/libwxmsw30ud.a(monolib_xml.o): In function `PIHnd':
    C:\SVILUPPO\TOOLS\wxWidgets\build\msw/../../src/xml/xml.cpp:742: undefined reference to `XML_GetCurrentLineNumber'
    C:\SVILUPPO\TOOLS\wxWidgets\lib\gcc_lib/libwxmsw30ud.a(monolib_xml.o): In function `ZN13wxXmlDocument4LoadER13wxInputStreamRK8wxStringi':
    C:\SVILUPPO\TOOLS\wxWidgets\build\msw/../../src/xml/xml.cpp:813: undefined reference to `XML_ParserCreate'
    C:\SVILUPPO\TOOLS\wxWidgets\build\msw/../../src/xml/xml.cpp:826: undefined reference to `XML_SetUserData'
    C:\SVILUPPO\TOOLS\wxWidgets\build\msw/../../src/xml/xml.cpp:827: undefined reference to `XML_SetElementHandler'
    C:\SVILUPPO\TOOLS\wxWidgets\build\msw/../../src/xml/xml.cpp:828: undefined reference to `XML_SetCharacterDataHandler'
    C:\SVILUPPO\TOOLS\wxWidgets\build\msw/../../src/xml/xml.cpp:829: undefined reference to `XML_SetCdataSectionHandler'
    C:\SVILUPPO\TOOLS\wxWidgets\build\msw/../../src/xml/xml.cpp:830: undefined reference to `XML_SetCommentHandler'
    C:\SVILUPPO\TOOLS\wxWidgets\build\msw/../../src/xml/xml.cpp:831: undefined reference to `XML_SetProcessingInstructionHandler'
    C:\SVILUPPO\TOOLS\wxWidgets\build\msw/../../src/xml/xml.cpp:832: undefined reference to `XML_SetDefaultHandler'
    C:\SVILUPPO\TOOLS\wxWidgets\build\msw/../../src/xml/xml.cpp:833: undefined reference to `XML_SetUnknownEncodingHandler'
    C:\SVILUPPO\TOOLS\wxWidgets\build\msw/../../src/xml/xml.cpp:840: undefined reference to `XML_Parse'
    C:\SVILUPPO\TOOLS\wxWidgets\build\msw/../../src/xml/xml.cpp:843: undefined reference to `XML_GetErrorCode'
    C:\SVILUPPO\TOOLS\wxWidgets\build\msw/../../src/xml/xml.cpp:843: undefined reference to `XML_ErrorString'
    C:\SVILUPPO\TOOLS\wxWidgets\build\msw/../../src/xml/xml.cpp:846: undefined reference to `XML_GetCurrentLineNumber'
    C:\SVILUPPO\TOOLS\wxWidgets\build\msw/../../src/xml/xml.cpp:865: undefined reference to `XML_ParserFree'
    collect2.exe: error: ld returned 1 exit status
    Process terminated with status 1 (0 minute(s), 29 second(s))
    19 error(s), 2 warning(s) (0 minute(s), 29 second(s))

I also tried adding other libs i had to add when i built this code under arm-linux) in the linker settings, but these libraries files are not existing (i guess 'cause the MONOLITHIC option):

libwxmsw30ud_core.a
    libwxmsw30ud_html.a
    libwxmsw30ud_adv.a
    libwxbase30ud_xml.a
    libwxmsw30ud_richtext.a

In the end, i don't know what i should to finally link and debug my sources from Code::Block.

doublemax

Re: Cannot link from Code::Block. Help?

Post by doublemax » Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:51 pm

The missing references should all be in the "expat" library. I don't know its exact name in your environment, but you should be able to find it with this information.
Use the source, Luke!

Parduz
Earned some good credits
Earned some good credits

Post by Parduz » Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:17 pm

... thanks!
It is "gcc_lib\libwxexpatd.a".

Now, to learn a bit.... how should i have know this? Where should have i looked for?
Basically..... how do you know it? :)

doublemax

Post by doublemax » Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:39 pm

Basically..... how do you know it?
From experience ;)

However, if you create a new wxWidgets project from scratch with Code:Blocks (or any similar IDE), i think these standard libraries are always added automatically. You only have to deal with this if you create a new project from scratch.

One way that often helps is to put one relevant error message into Google, e.g. ""undefined reference to `XML_GetCurrentLineNumber'"".
Use the source, Luke!

Parduz
Earned some good credits
Earned some good credits

Post by Parduz » Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:44 pm

doublemax wrote:
Basically..... how do you know it?
From experience ;)
:)
doublemax wrote:However, if you create a new wxWidgets project from scratch with Code:Blocks (or any similar IDE), i think these standard libraries are always added automatically. You only have to deal with this if you create a new project from scratch.
Nope. Code::Blocks added everything was already there, but not that one.
I then imported my existing sources.
doublemax wrote:One way that often helps is to put one relevant error message into Google, e.g. ""undefined reference to `XML_GetCurrentLineNumber'"".
Yep. That leaded me to recompile wxWidgets using MinGW32-make instead of the MSYS-based procedure i used for Eclipse, and a bunch of other unsuccesful tries. That's why today i wrote this question to StackOverflow and then here.

Thanks a lot.