wxFreeChart Updates

Talk here about issues with one of the components hosted at wxCode, or suggest features for it.
iwbnwif
Super wx Problem Solver
Super wx Problem Solver

wxFreeChart Updates

Post by iwbnwif »

Hello, I have decided to do some work on wxFreeChart.

As a starting point have been making some tidy ups to allow the code to build error free. At the moment I am working on Linux and the current trunk of wxWidgets.

I would like to ask if anyone else is working on this code and whether there is any interest in me sharing my changes?
wxWidgets 3.1.2, MinGW64 8.1.0, g++ 8.1.0, Ubuntu 19.04, Windows 10, CodeLite + wxCrafter
Some people, when confronted with a GUI problem, think "I know, I'll use Eclipse RCP". Now they have two problems.
evstevemd
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Re: wxFreeChart Updates

Post by evstevemd »

Putting changes in github or somehwere else have benefit of attracting users/devs
Chief Justice: We have trouble dear citizens!
Citizens: What it is his honor?
Chief Justice:Our president is an atheist, who will he swear to?
PB
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Post by PB »

I was wondering about two things:
1. Is the original author of the code (MAB) still available somewhat and if so what did he say about wxFreeChart future?
2. Are the bugs I described fixed in the code you have?
jaxsin
Earned a small fee
Earned a small fee

Post by jaxsin »

I'd be interested in helping with this on the windows side under vs2013.

Send me a PM on here if you or anyone else is interested in doing this. The first thing we need done is to get this under GIT instead of SVN. Somewhere on these forums I read the owner of freechart had no intentions of updating this to wxWidgets 3.0. Would be nice to have one charting library up to date and working.
iwbnwif
Super wx Problem Solver
Super wx Problem Solver

Post by iwbnwif »

Hi,

Thanks to everyone for the replies.

I have only used Git once so if you know how to set this up that would be a good start. I would be interested to follow along and learn.

At the moment I have a version that compiles cleanly (no errors or warnings) on Linux and Windows/Mingw with the latest trunk of wxWidgets. I have also played around a bit with the XY area plots to get an effect similar to Windows TaskManager graphs.

Mostly the library has the functionality I need so my main interests are in:
  • Improving the presentation options, colors, shading, alpha/transparency, fonts, curve smoothing, anti-aliasing etc.
  • Improving the documentation
  • Improving the performance to allow for real time plots
wxWidgets 3.1.2, MinGW64 8.1.0, g++ 8.1.0, Ubuntu 19.04, Windows 10, CodeLite + wxCrafter
Some people, when confronted with a GUI problem, think "I know, I'll use Eclipse RCP". Now they have two problems.
jaxsin
Earned a small fee
Earned a small fee

Post by jaxsin »

https://github.com/jasin/freechart

I pulled it into github and you can clone the repo. If you want go ahead and setup git in an empty directory on your PC and do a git pull request. Then you can go ahead and apply your code changes. Then you can set up a merge request and we can start from there.

I am not that great with Git, but I can get around. Basic tutorial should get you going with git

create an empty dir. then run git clone https://github.com/jasin/freechart.git from inside the new dir and you should be good to go to make your changes on the code. Let me know
jaxsin
Earned a small fee
Earned a small fee

Post by jaxsin »

PB wrote:I was wondering about two things:
2. Are the bugs I described fixed in the code you have?
from what I can tell, the axis labels are still not centered on the chart, but rather seem to be centered to the wxFrame size. The other bugs you posted seem to be fixed. Can you post your code that fixed the labels?
jaxsin
Earned a small fee
Earned a small fee

Post by jaxsin »

Well I managed to fix the axis labels so they center on the chart. I still have not managed to fix the combined axis demo. I'm afraid I do not understand enough about the code to implement a proper fix. As each plot is a separate object I don't know how to properly tell the other plot objects to use the largest minimum labelextent for all plots in a multiplot object.

If anyone has any bright ideas on how this can be done, let me know so I can look into it.