wxSQLitePlus source code on Github

Do you like to promote your wxWidgets based application or component!? Post it here and let's see what the critics have to say. Also, if you found that ONE wx component the world needs to know about, put it here for future reference.
guanlisheng
Earned a small fee
Earned a small fee

wxSQLitePlus source code on Github

Post by guanlisheng »

https://github.com/moneymanagerex/wxsqliteplus

As well known, https://github.com/moneymanagerex/wxSqlitePlus is a GUI client for SQLite3 and great example for both wxWidgets and wxSQLite3.
The most important one is that its encryption method is compatible with https://github.com/moneymanagerex/moneymanagerex
Last edited by guanlisheng on Thu Dec 04, 2014 2:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
utelle

Re: wxSQLitePlus source code on Github

Post by utelle »

guanlisheng wrote:https://github.com/moneymanagerex/wxsqliteplus

As well known, ithttps://github.com/moneymanagerex/wxSqlitePlus is a GUI client for SQLite3 and great example for both wxWidgets and wxSQLite3.
The most important one is that its encryption method is compatible Money Manager EXhttps://github.com/moneymanagerex/moneymanagerex
Of course you are free to clone/fork wxSQLitePlus and wxSQLite3 in your own repository on github. That's what open source is all about.

However, what is definitely NOT ok, is, that you removed the copyright notice of the original author of wxSQLitePlus, Fred Cailleau-Lepetit, from all wxSQLitePlus source files. This is clearly a violation of the GPL, by which the source of wxSQLitePlus is covered.

Regards,

Ulrich
guanlisheng
Earned a small fee
Earned a small fee

Post by guanlisheng »

I keep the original information here and just remove them from the source file header. Anyway, i can add it back if you still have concern.

Code: Select all

src/change.txt:wxSQLite+ (c) F.Cailleau-Lepetit 2007-2009
src/wxsqliteplusapp.cpp:    tmp = ("Copyright (c) 2007-2009, Fred Cailleau-Lepetit")
guanlisheng
Earned a small fee
Earned a small fee

Post by guanlisheng »

Now i have added these GPL & author statement back.
tierra
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by tierra »

I believe that legally speaking, copyright law in many countries would expect you to leave those in the individual files for what it's worth, and especially if that's where they were placed on the code distributed to you.

Besides that though, I generally find that it's a pain in the neck to maintain upstream updates from the original author for code you don't personally maintain if you modify the upstream sources by hand. Anytime I use a 3rd party library, I don't make any modifications if at all possible unless I'm ready to maintain custom patches against upstream updates. Even when I cut out entire sections of the distribution (like unit tests, documentation, etc) for my own redistribution with my own application, I still try to keep what's left in it's original directory and filename hierarchy.

In both cases, you're really just creating more of a headache for yourself in the future making changes like this.
guanlisheng
Earned a small fee
Earned a small fee

Post by guanlisheng »

So what's the correct approach here giving that i want to continue the development of this project by bug fix, wxWidgets 3.0 adoption, adding new features ? i was trying to contact the author but failed.
Lisheng Guan (guanlisheng.com)

Developer of Money Manager Ex
utelle

Post by utelle »

guanlisheng wrote:Now i have added these GPL & author statement back.
I think this is the right step. In the end those few comment lines do no harm, and you are legally clean. In fact, if you add modifications to the source code, the GPL requires you to add a prominent note (i.e. your own copyright) that you modified the code.

Regards,

Ulrich
utelle

Post by utelle »

guanlisheng wrote:So what's the correct approach here giving that i want to continue the development of this project by bug fix, wxWidgets 3.0 adoption, adding new features ? i was trying to contact the author but failed.
GPL allows you to create a fork of the original sources (as you did), however, it requires that you add appropriate notes to conform to the following:
GPL § 5a) The work must carry prominent notices stating that you modified it, and giving a relevant date.
You are not forced to actively contact the original author. The last time I had contact to him was in 2009 (5 years ago), and it seems he isn't maintaining wxSQLitePlus anymore.

The main problem with GPL is that you can't change the license of your derived work. The whole work has to stay under GPL.

I put my own work (for example wxSQLite3 and its SQLite encryption extension) under the more permissive wxWidgets (aka wxWindows) license.

Regards,

Ulrich
guanlisheng
Earned a small fee
Earned a small fee

Post by guanlisheng »

Any workaround that i can modify the code more freely?
unlike a 3rd party lib, I would like to abandon the derived code and compose one from scratch which would be more easier.
Lisheng Guan (guanlisheng.com)

Developer of Money Manager Ex
utelle

Post by utelle »

guanlisheng wrote:Any workaround that i can modify the code more freely?
Well, you can modify GPL code just as you like. The GPL only prevents you to put the resulting code under a different, less restrictive license. Only the original creator can change the license for a subsequent version of his code.
guanlisheng wrote:unlike a 3rd party lib, I would like to abandon the derived code and compose one from scratch which would be more easier.
Of course you can start to implement something from scratch (and maybe just reusing some design ideas). However, as soon as you (re)use parts of the code being under GPL you are bound to the GPL.

Regards,

Ulrich
guanlisheng
Earned a small fee
Earned a small fee

Post by guanlisheng »

FYI:
with a little bit of polish, wxSQLitePlus has some basic cipher auto-detect to read an encrypted SQLite3 database file (upon wxSQLite3).

https://github.com/guanlisheng/wxsqlite ... tag/v0.3.8