Cannot build with "system" jpeg lib Topic is solved

Do you have a question about makefiles, a compiler or IDE you are using and need to know how to set it up for wxWidgets or why it doesn't compile but other IDE's do ? Post your questions here.
Warepire
In need of some credit
In need of some credit

Cannot build with "system" jpeg lib

Post by Warepire »

Hi

First off, forgive me if this is supposed to be somewhere else, this section looked more appropriate. Please move it to the correct place otherwise.

I am trying to add wxWidgets to a project, since the project already depends on libjpeg v9 I thought I could link with only that instead of the wxjpeg library that is older.
I replaced the include directories in the project files with the ones to my libjpeg v9 include directory, but the compilation is failing with "error LNK1104: cannot open file 'wxjpegd.lib'" (debug build).
I have dug through the project files and the wxWidgets code for 2 days, I cannot find where it specifically defines that it wants this lib. Usually when a library is missing I get swamped with "Unresolved symbol" errors from the linker.

I am building the non-monolithic static lib variant of wxWidgets. The error comes up when I am trying to link it all with my program.
I am building on Windows Vista using Visual Studio 2010 SP1.
The wxWidgets version is 3.0.0 (stable, not nightly)

Thanks in advance for the assistance! If anything is unclear I will try my best to provide the information required.

// Warepire
eranon
Can't get richer than this

Re: Cannot build with "system" jpeg lib

Post by eranon »

Why do you want to short circuit wxWidgets ? Maybe the underlying lib is a special/custom one with a lot of subtle arrangements to works with wxWidgets (or at least a specific version). Also, I guess (nothing verified, I just react as it comes) all calls about jpeg format are done toward 'wxjpegd.lib' which does the bridge and certainly wraps the underlying libjpeg. So you'll have to modify wxWidgets everywhere (this being maybe against the wxWidget's licensing policy)... What the advantage to get ride of this specific wxWidgets part (and not about zlib, png, etc) ?
[Ind. dev. - wxWidgets 3.0/3.1 under "Win 7 64-bit, TDM64-GCC" + "OS X 10.9, LLVM Clang"]
Warepire
In need of some credit
In need of some credit

Post by Warepire »

The linux version allows to use the system lib of libjpeg instead of the included one, why would it be against the license to do this on Windows? Isn't it the same license for all platforms? Seemed like it was when I read it. The project is supposed to be cross-platform in the future, it's the purpose of the wxWidgets addition.

Looking at the jpeg source folder it to me looks like it's simply an older version of libjpeg. wxjpeg as I understand it is simply the older libjpeg library with a wx-prefix. Or did I miss anything entirely? (It's a lot of code)
The advantage for me would be to only have to look after one libjpeg, and not 2. Also there is a risk of linker problems when linking 2 versions of the same library into the same code.
No code was ever replaced, I just switched the include dir from the jpeg source folder to the jpeg v9 folder.
The other image libraries are not used and disabled in setup, they are not replaced or removed physically.
stahta01
Ultimate wxWidgets Guru
Ultimate wxWidgets Guru

Post by stahta01 »

How are you building wxWidgets? (wx makefile or MSVC Project?)

If using one or the other you likely need to fix the makefile or the project to try to use the system jpeg lib.

Tim S.
bishop.gis
Earned a small fee
Earned a small fee

Post by bishop.gis »

I build wxWidgets 32bit and 64bit on windows using external libjpeg with this cmake scripts: http://forums.wxwidgets.org/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=35122
I plan to add new scripts for version 3.0.

I would like to note, that not all wxWidgets cmponents build with such scripts :(
Warepire
In need of some credit
In need of some credit

Post by Warepire »

I am building wxWidgets through Visual Studio 2010 (using the solution). I did replace the include directory for the jpeg source, that's all there is to do when building static libs.

I looked some at those CMake scripts, but I did not see anything that could help me with my problem. Appreciate the attempt though.
eranon

Post by eranon »

Warepire wrote:The linux version allows to use the system lib of libjpeg instead of the included one, why would it be against the license to do this on Windows?
I didn't use wxWidgets under Linux until now (MSW and OSX only), so I can't tell you the difference. What I said (but if you don't, it's different) is that modification of the wxWidgets code (so, inside its source, not about project file and build options arrangements) could be against the wxWidgets license... But it sounds you can manage what you want without this : so, it's perfect ;)
[Ind. dev. - wxWidgets 3.0/3.1 under "Win 7 64-bit, TDM64-GCC" + "OS X 10.9, LLVM Clang"]
Warepire
In need of some credit
In need of some credit

Post by Warepire »

After spending the weekend digging some more, I found the file responsible for defining the use of wxjpegd.lib over my newer jpeg.lib.
It's defined in the setup-wrapper for Vistual Studio compilers.

More specifically, these 3 lines of code in "wxWidgets-3.0.0/include/msvc/wx/setup.h":

Code: Select all

#if wxUSE_LIBJPEG && !defined(wxNO_JPEG_LIB) && !defined(WXUSINGDLL)
        #pragma comment(lib, wx3RD_PARTY_LIB_NAME("jpeg"))
    #endif
Nothing changes if I define wxNO_JPEG_LIB in my preprocessor defines list for each and every one of the wxWidgets projects.
However, if I define it right above that piece of code, or if I comment those lines out it works like I want to, but I would much rather just define wxNO_JPEG_LIB somewhere outside of wxWidgets code for this to work.

Any suggestions to where I shall define wxNO_JPEG_LIB?
stahta01
Ultimate wxWidgets Guru
Ultimate wxWidgets Guru

Post by stahta01 »

Me I would try this to see if it works.

I would define wxSYSTEM_JPEG_LIB in the project defines.

defining wxNO_JPEG_LIB implies no jpeg lib will be used.

I believe wxSYSTEM_JPEG_LIB is currently unused by wxWidgets.

Code: Select all

#if wxUSE_LIBJPEG && !defined(wxNO_JPEG_LIB) && !defined(WXUSINGDLL) && !defined(wxSYSTEM_JPEG_LIB)
        #pragma comment(lib, wx3RD_PARTY_LIB_NAME("jpeg"))
    #endif
Tim S.
Warepire
In need of some credit
In need of some credit

Post by Warepire »

That works. I was hoping to do it without editing the setup.h file but I guess that isn't possible in this case.

I think this should be added to the codebase so that this functionality becomes available for all who build on Windows using VS so that it becomes as easy to use external libs for this case as all the others. This should possibly work also for png, zip, tiff etc. But I have nothing to test that with.

Thanks for all the assistance!