Basic wx questions

This forum is reserved for everything you want to talk about. It could be about programming, opinions, open source programs, development in general, or just cool stuff to share!
TEDSON
In need of some credit
In need of some credit

Basic wx questions

Post by TEDSON »

Hi all.

I'm wondering if someone can answer some questions before I start with wxwidgets.

I'm specifically asking about version 3.0.0 +

1) Does it need .Net?
2) Does it compile to native code?
3) Is there a header only method?
4) If 3 is false, can it be statically linked so there are no external wx* dependencies to a release binary?
5) If 4 is true, are there any legal restrictions regarding same?

Appreciate any time and info offered.
PB
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Re: Basic wx questions

Post by PB »

TEDSON wrote: 1) Does it need .Net?
2) Does it compile to native code?
3) Is there a header only method?
4) If 3 is false, can it be statically linked so there are no external wx* dependencies to a release binary?
5) If 4 is true, are there any legal restrictions regarding same?
1. No.
2. Yes
3. Not sure what you mean.
4. Yes, wxWidgets (at least on MS Windows) can be completely linked in statically.
5. I don't think there are any really limiting legal restrictions on using wxWidgets.
TEDSON
In need of some credit
In need of some credit

Post by TEDSON »

Thank you very much for concise answers.

3) Is there are way to just add the source .h and .cpp files to my project without linking against compiled libraries (.lib) (.dll) for example?
PB
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Post by PB »

No, there is not. Are there any comparable toolkits that work like that - e.g. neither MFC nor Qt support it. Given the size of the libraries, it probably wouldn't be feasible anyway (unlike with e.g. some Boost classes or SQLite amalgam C code).

I am just curious, why would you want to do that and what issues you have with linking libraries?
TEDSON
In need of some credit
In need of some credit

Post by TEDSON »

I've tried Qt and never really took to it, I'm quite new to using external libraries, in fact Qt was the first I ever tried.

My issues with that were that it was a nightmare trying to figure out how to statically link, then only to find I'd need a commercial paid licence to do so anyway.
Don't get me wrong, I was impressed with it, but I'm still looking for something similar, which is why I'm here.

Thanks once more for your kind reply and time.
xaviou
Super wx Problem Solver
Super wx Problem Solver

Post by xaviou »

Hi
TEDSON wrote:Thank you very much for concise answers.

3) Is there are way to just add the source .h and .cpp files to my project without linking against compiled libraries (.lib) (.dll) for example?
If your are using Ms Visual C++, an include file contains all the pragma commands for automatic linking with the libs files.

Regards
Xav'
My wxWidgets stuff web page : X@v's wxStuff
TEDSON
In need of some credit
In need of some credit

Post by TEDSON »

That's good to know as I normally use VS2010 IDE.

Thank you for all pre download/install advice and answers, I'm going to go ahead and give it a go ASAP.