Any good wxWidgets books out there?

This forum is reserved for everything you want to talk about. It could be about programming, opinions, open source programs, development in general, or just cool stuff to share!
wx_n00b
In need of some credit
In need of some credit

Any good wxWidgets books out there?

Post by wx_n00b »

Hi, recently I started reading this book on the subject:
http://www.amazon.com/Cross-Platform-Pr ... =wxwidgets

The problems that I have with this book is this:
1 - It's a tad dated and I'm sure wxWidgets have advanced since it was published.
2 - I can't find the complete source code.
3 - The explanations in that book could be better and it seems like the author started out with a few assumptions (at least that's my impresion so far.)

I like wxWidgets because I don't want to get stuck with a specific framework that works _only_ on one OS and not others.

Would anyone know of better alternatives? How did you get started and become more proficient working with wxWidgets?
DavidHart
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Any good wxWidgets books out there?

Post by DavidHart »

Hi,

Much of that book's contents were taken from the wxWidgets' documentation, and from the samples that come with the wx source packages. Unlike the book, the samples and docs have been regularly updated.

I suggest you work through some of the current samples (starting with 'minimal'), examining their source-code. Together with the book and the docs, that should quickly get you to the point where you can start writing your own code; perhaps adapting the most relevant sample, as that gives you a known-to-work starting point.

Regards,

David
doublemax

Post by doublemax »

In addition to what David said, maybe this tutorial helps:
http://zetcode.com/gui/wxwidgets/

First you should try to understand the general structure of a wxWidgets application. The above tutorial and analyzing the "minimal" sample should help. Then i'd suggest to run the "dialogs" and "widgets" sample, so you get an overview of how the standard controls are named in wxWidgets.
Use the source, Luke!
evstevemd
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Post by evstevemd »

I also have a series on wxWidgets Here
Chief Justice: We have trouble dear citizens!
Citizens: What it is his honor?
Chief Justice:Our president is an atheist, who will he swear to?