new wx-devcpp 6.3 beta

Do you like to promote your wxWidgets based application or component!? Post it here and let's see what the critics have to say. Also, if you found that ONE wx component the world needs to know about, put it here for future reference.
gururamnath
Super wx Problem Solver
Super wx Problem Solver

new wx-devcpp 6.3 beta

Post by gururamnath »

Hello all,
I have released the wx-devcpp beta 6.3 beta today.
Please visit
http://wxdsgn.sourceforge.net/ for more details.

Please report your bugs at
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_ ... tid=611982
(I know no one uses this , but please, this helps in fixing the current bugs and add some notable developer productivity features that can match VC++)

Download the file from :
http://wxdsgn.sourceforge.net/wxdevcpp-full-setup.exe

Following are the features/bugfixes you can see in this version.
Version History - List of changes/additions
1)Full support for Color and Font properties.
2)Full support for Bitmap(XPM) supports for TStaticBitmap and Icons in dialog.
3)Added full support for context sensitive help for wxWidgets classes(Hit F1 on a wxWidgets class and see how it works !).
4)Added partial support for wxGrid and wxBitmapButton controls.
5)Fixed an installer issue where the wx-devcpp ignores the wx include directories.
6)Fixed the issue in creating XPM from certain bitmaps.
7)Added couple of developer productivity enhancing tools - (like kings tools for VS.NET 2003)
8)Support for running dev-cpp in single instance mode(very usefull when combined with VC++ (with wx-devcpp used just as form designer)).
9)Changing a widget name will automatically update it ID.
10)Fixed an issue in the View widgets ID option.
11)Added stretch factor property for all the widgets.
12)Styles for all widgets are generated properly.
13)Fixed a bug where Source and Designer are not synced when changing certain properties like bitmap, listcolumns etc.
14)Fixed a bug where StaticLine when placed in the sizers is placed in the wrong location.

-thanks,
Guru Kathiresan
eros
I live to help wx-kind
I live to help wx-kind

Post by eros »

will wxdevcpp merge with devcpp at one point or is it going to be a separate project?
gururamnath
Super wx Problem Solver
Super wx Problem Solver

Post by gururamnath »

eros wrote:will wxdevcpp merge with devcpp at one point or is it going to be a separate project?
I guess there are lot of complications with that trend. When I talked to Colin about the merge, he was not happy with the current state of the designer. He was not comfortable with the bugs in the current code base. So i decided to proceed in an independent path of working on new features(single instance feature is one among them) and bug fixes (until the designer is in good state).

This doesnt mean that wx-devcpp and devcpp will be completly different projects. Every couple of months I'll be doing a merge of the dev-cpp codebase, so that all the bug fixes for the basic IDE will be incorporated in wx-devcpp. I know it will be very hard to have 2 set of IDEs but working this way gives more freedom to me and not to worry about alienating the dev-cpp project leads.

-Guru Kathiresan
geon
I live to help wx-kind
I live to help wx-kind

Post by geon »

Of course Colin don't want to merge his almost-bug-free-and-functional IDE with another (as far as I can tell) still-quite-buggy-and-under-heavy-development project.

When wxdevcpp AND Dev-C++ works without any major bugs, I am pretty shure Colin won't mind a merge. Especially since the wxWidgets and Dev-C++ communities seems to overlap pretty much.

My comment: YAY! A complete, free IDE for wx avaiable within the near future!
gururamnath
Super wx Problem Solver
Super wx Problem Solver

Post by gururamnath »

geon wrote:Of course Colin don't want to merge his almost-bug-free-and-functional IDE with another (as far as I can tell) still-quite-buggy-and-under-heavy-development project.
Can you please list out the major show stopper bugs you still have with wx-devcpp ? Giving a plain statement as "still quite buggy software" without giving any specifics wont help any one. I have been working with the current designer code base for the past 2 weeks and I'm very much pleased with the improvements that has come along(particularly in the current beta 6.3).

Thanks,
Guru Kathiresan
msdobrescu
Knows some wx things
Knows some wx things

wx+devcpp suggestion

Post by msdobrescu »

What if the wx visual design (made by wxdevcpp) is implemented as an additional package for devcpp?

Mike
geon
I live to help wx-kind
I live to help wx-kind

Post by geon »

Can you please list out the major show stopper bugs you still have with wx-devcpp ?
I do not intent to insult anyone. And I have never actually tried the software. The point is that quite a few bugs have been fixed in a relatively short period, indicating that there are still a lot of them left in there.

I don't say that this particular software is worse than anythig else, or have any particular, serious bugs. But it is after all a Beta, and should not be considered a "finnished" product. (OK, a software project is never finnished, just improved. But you get the point.)