Please ask questions related to the wx book only here

Do you like to promote your wxWidgets based application or component!? Post it here and let's see what the critics have to say. Also, if you found that ONE wx component the world needs to know about, put it here for future reference.
KevinHock
Filthy Rich wx Solver
Filthy Rich wx Solver

Post by KevinHock »

If you refer to the Sept/Oct. release dates on Amazon.com or Amazon UK, these are a mistake. Please see the other recent thread in this forum "Book news."
KevinHock
Filthy Rich wx Solver
Filthy Rich wx Solver

Post by KevinHock »

As recently posted in another thread:

"Amazon.com and affiliates received some bad information from their distributors; I have already informed the editor and he indicated that he would take care of it. Rest assured that Prentice Hall has received the printed books at their warehouse and all that remains now is for the books to be sent out to the various stores' warehouses. This process can takes about a week (give or take a few days) so we should see the book available online and in stores within the first 10 days of August. Non-US locations may take a few additional weeks beyond that, unfortunately, but nowhere near the end of September or October."

Originally, the book was scheduled to be at the Publisher's warehouse July 10th. That date slipped to July 27th. Why Amazon ever showed July 4th is a big mystery. In any event, the book has been printed and is being moved as quickly as possible to the retail outlets.

I did post just the other day that I had a copy of the book and that the books were being distributed now, so I don't understand why everyone believed Amazon's very wrong release date. :(

Thanks for the interest in the book, we hope you find it both informative and fun!
theWolf
Knows some wx things
Knows some wx things

Mine is on the way.

Post by theWolf »

That's why I bought the first one from the publisher.

I received an email from the publisher on Friday stating that my order was on the UPS truck. :D
Filthy Rich wx Solver
Filthy Rich wx Solver

Post by KevinHock »

Someone on wx-users reported that Barnes & Noble has them in their warehouse, and would have them at the local store on Monday. I would assume similarly for Amazon, Borders and others, so it looks like the books will be flowing very soon indeed!
theWolf
Knows some wx things
Knows some wx things

Reply to chr

Post by theWolf »

chr,

I used Visa no spaces and no dashes.

Regards

Price difference?

Post by NinjaNL »

I checked the availability of the book on the American Book Centres http://www.abc.nl web site and it claims that there are two versions of the book, US and UK.

The difference is that the US version costs EUR 58.49 and the UK version costs EUR 72.93. Since I am assuming that this is EXACTLY the same book, I was wondering if anyone has an explanation.
Follow the development of my screenplay authoring program at http://wxscreenplaywriter.blogspot.com/
KevinHock
Filthy Rich wx Solver
Filthy Rich wx Solver

Post by KevinHock »

Yes, the explanation is that the retail price is cheaper in Euros for the US version than the UK version.
NinjaNL

Book on Bol.Com in...

Post by NinjaNL »

I asked the Bol.com client service when the book will be available, and their answer was that it should make its appearance on the site "probably" the third week of August.

Just as a thought, couldn't the book authors become "partners" of Bol.com, so that those of us in europe could also order the book through the wxWidgets website but place our orders through Bol.com? In such a case the wxWidgets authors could also receive a "kickback" for book purchases with Bol.com.

This would surely benefit both yourselves the authors and those of us who live in "United Kingdom, Germany, Netherlands, Switzerland, Italy and China" (all countries with their 'own' Bol.com)

Another advantage of Bol (in the Netherlands in any case) is that they ship the book with a bill (what is called here an acceptgiro) which you take to the bank to pay for the goods received. This is great since you don't pay anything until you actually get the goods, no more paying and waiting to see if you've been scammed.
Follow the development of my screenplay authoring program at http://wxscreenplaywriter.blogspot.com/
tiwag
Earned some good credits
Earned some good credits

Post by tiwag »

also available from amazon.de for 46EUR,
and all the same advantages as you described for bol.com
(free shipment also, at least to Germany and Austria)
C_Bastian
Earned some good credits
Earned some good credits

German translation of wxWidgets book?

Post by C_Bastian »

Hello,

will the wxWidgets book be translated into other languages in the near future? I'm interested in buying a german copy of the book.

sebastian
KevinHock
Filthy Rich wx Solver
Filthy Rich wx Solver

Post by KevinHock »

I don't believe so, no.
priyank_bolia
wxWorld Domination!
wxWorld Domination!

Post by priyank_bolia »

I found some websites providing pirated e-book. Don't know whether the authors know about it or not, but a lot of people are downloading it. By the number of sites providing this ebook, I think wxWidgets is getting great popularity [Kidding]. :D
ding
Experienced Solver
Experienced Solver

Post by ding »

The bookstore from my country actually needed the ISBN number for the book, anyone who have the book can provide me with that number. I have call up to ask them purchase the book, but they say they needed the ISBN number. Every book have a unique ISBN number at the back. Please reply asap. thanks!
leio
Can't get richer than this
Can't get richer than this

Post by leio »

The ISBN number is once noted in this very same thread on first page. It is also noted on every online book store, including amazon, for which direct book links are available at http://wxwidgets.org/book/ (Buy the book link on wxwidgets homepage).
Compilers: gcc-3.3.6, gcc-3.4.5, gcc-4.0.2, gcc-4.1.0 and MSVC6
OS's: Gentoo Linux, WinXP; WX: CVS HEAD

Project Manager of wxMUD - http://wxmud.sf.net/
Developer of wxGTK;
gtk+ port maintainer of OMGUI - http://www.omgui.org/