We have the Answered Post Mod!

Forum announcements are posted here. New cool features, scheduled backups and maintenance, you name it.
tierra
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by tierra »

Just thought I'd note that the Question posts probably shouldn't come before Sticky posts... (check the C++ board)
Jorg

Post by Jorg »

I already discussed this with UpCase. Still standing issues are;

- Sorting of answered posts where they come before stickies
- Not being able to see new post being posted at answered / question posts
- Notify the original poster that he/she needs to press accept or assist answer when the question is satisfying
- The questions / answered posts should not be sorted as such but just chronically
- Icons will be updated by Tyler

Yes we should have tested it more, the next board beta will be public, as soon as UpCase sends me the stripped down SQL code I will set up a shadow board

- Jorgen
Forensic Software Engineer
Netherlands Forensic Insitute
http://english.forensischinstituut.nl/
-------------------------------------
Jorg's WasteBucket
http://www.xs4all.nl/~jorgb/wb
lowjoel
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Post by lowjoel »

i can try to help upCase with this mod... i wrote a few so far.... so u wanna send the code to me n lemmesee?
tierra
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by tierra »

Also, when going to view all unanswered posts, there's a bug with the number of results returned versus actual results. Note this brings up 5 results correctly, but post count and page counts are wrong:

upCASE

Post by upCASE »

Morning guys!

For me there is only one question open: Why did I ever start this? :D:D:D

Again: Sorry for all the errors and bugs that are still in the code. I allready had a little talk with Jorgen yesterday and I guess we're pretty much decided, that a proper test forum is the way to go next time.

I do confess that I am no professional PHP coder, so please forgive me if some things just don't work for the time being. I'm on it and still have a good feeling about this. So, back to coding...
wx: svn
Compiler: gcc 4.5.1, VC 2008, eVC 4

"If it was hard to write it should be hard to read..." - the unknown coder
"Try not! Do. Or do not. There is no try." - Yoda
lowjoel
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Post by lowjoel »

feel free to approach me if u need help ;) i use msn btw :P im on 24/7
upCASE

Post by upCASE »

Hi again!
Jorg wrote: - Sorting of answered posts where they come before stickies
- Not being able to see new post being posted at answered / question posts
- Notify the original poster that he/she needs to press accept or assist answer when the question is satisfying
- The questions / answered posts should not be sorted as such but just chronically
- Icons will be updated by Tyler
Ok.
1. Now they get shown like "Announcements" , "Stickies", "Evereything else" sorted by date of the last post.
2. I've done that, but I need the icons for that to embed them in the code
3. Next on my list
4. Not really sure what this means...
5. Great!

For 4:
What do you mean exactly? When searching unanswered or unsolved posts they are sorted by the last posting...

For 3: Jorg, I liked your proposal, so I'll do it that way and maybe add a mor desciptive text underneath the red line.

Jorg

Post by Jorg »

Goodmorning UpCase,

Don't know the time there but my workday just started here ;-)

1. Great, it is more intuitive as people expect the newest posts to be on top and do not have to search for them. Ofcourse the newest posts come after the stickies :-)

2. The icons are at;
http://megelan.com/images/sample.html

4. I think that one was double, it kind of means the 1st thing (happens to me often that I know I had something else to mention, and forget what it was, start thinking back and forget wat I already wrote down)

5. See 2. :-)

Good work! If you don't mind I want to take a look at the forum code too. I do not want to burden you everytime with new questions and I am sure some of the small issues I can fix myself.

For example, we have to emphasize that a user still has "open issues". This can be shown in the left corner as: "You have still 'x' open issues". Clicking that shows the query of all his open issues.

He can either "accept" answers and awards points with them, or close them. The last is maybe a bit more tricky, but I can imagine when a poster has solved his own problem, the question can also be closed.

When people are not marking posts as answered, we might even go that far to allow them 10 open questions at the time, and close them first before asking a next.

The reason I am telling you this is because I have the feeling people do not pay attention to their old open issues, and some of them are not even so polite to at least let the poster know it is solved. So what to do with all those "vaguely answered" posts ? Can some moderator decide it was sufficient?

Maybe to tackle this is to bring it more to the user's attention ;-)

- Jorgen
Jorg's WasteBucket
upCASE

Post by upCASE »

Hi!
Jorg wrote: Good work! If you don't mind I want to take a look at the forum code too. I do not want to burden you everytime with new questions and I am sure some of the small issues I can fix myself.

For example, we have to emphasize that a user still has "open issues". This can be shown in the left corner as: "You have still 'x' open issues". Clicking that shows the query of all his open issues.

He can either "accept" answers and awards points with them, or close them. The last is maybe a bit more tricky, but I can imagine when a poster has solved his own problem, the question can also be closed.

When people are not marking posts as answered, we might even go that far to allow them 10 open questions at the time, and close them first before asking a next.

The reason I am telling you this is because I have the feeling people do not pay attention to their old open issues, and some of them are not even so polite to at least let the poster know it is solved. So what to do with all those "vaguely answered" posts ? Can some moderator decide it was sufficient?
No problem!
When I find the time (work started here too) I'll send you the SQL dump and all the code with the new icons included. Then let's play with it at the shadow forum first.

The features you mention sound pretty good. Maybe lowjoel can jump in there and implement some of this stuff. He could even try and clean up my messy "hackerish" code :D as he seems to have more insight to phpBB and PHP as well.

All points on the list are implemented now. You can play with it at the old location I posted to the mods. But I guess it would be better to have a fully working test forum, like the one you'll set up :D
Also it would be easier for me and lowjoel to coordinate the work that has to be done with the forum as we then have a common base to work on.

BTW: The new icons look really good!

lowjoel
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Post by lowjoel »

i dont wanna complain.. but no matter how i click mark forum as read, the ones with new posts never get done so
upCASE

Post by upCASE »

Hi!
Kind of weird... It works for me and I didn't touch any code for that..

Jorg

Post by Jorg »

Hi UpCase,

And others, please post bugs and inconsistencies at http://bugs.solidsteel.nl I added a project for wxForum there, where bugs can be reported.

I have a similar thing here. I did upload the forum code twice, I see a (i) (info) icon for a new post, when I read it, it becomes a grey one, after someone posts to it, it becomes yellow, and after I read it, it stays yellow.

The relation between grey and yellow icons is undetermined, as some stay grey, and some stay orange, it does not matter how often I visit those posts.

Here is a pic of how it looks;

This is after I done a "mark forum read" so the statuses are not updated. Mind you that the search results do seem to be ok. So are there maybe two methods that produce the same post list?

- Jorgen
Jorg's WasteBucket
lowjoel
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Post by lowjoel »

jorg u wanna shrink the image? its messing my screen coz ur screen is huge lol... and it takes time to d/l... and when it is downloading.... its nasty to read.... yep thanks.
upCASE

Post by upCASE »

Ok, ok...
It's just another "upCASE too stupid" error. I know what I did wrong and thinking about it now I don't know why I ever tried it that way...

Let me fix that and I'll send you a copy.

lowjoel
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Post by lowjoel »

naa ur not stupid... i know how hard it is to make a mod like this... i know u almost had to turn phpbb upside down... so just give urself a pat on the back.

well i wont mind helping you in any way if you need me, but just want to let you know - its a good mod so far - dont kill urself because of these small little techinical screwups