wxFreeChart project need contributors

Do you like to promote your wxWidgets based application or component!? Post it here and let's see what the critics have to say. Also, if you found that ONE wx component the world needs to know about, put it here for future reference.
evstevemd
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Re: wxFreeChart project need contributors

Post by evstevemd »

MAB wrote: One thing, that wrong with wxCode website is that, when user wants to download component, it will be shown all components, instead that he/she selected to download..
I don't know much about how SF wxCode operates but what About providing a link to component files directly something like
<a href="http://sourceforge.net/projects/wxcode/ ... z/download"> Download Tar File</a>
Chief Justice: We have trouble dear citizens!
Citizens: What it is his honor?
Chief Justice:Our president is an atheist, who will he swear to?
utelle

Post by utelle »

MAB wrote:One thing, that wrong with wxCode website is that, when user wants to download component, it will be shown all components, instead that he/she selected to download.
Do you know it's possible to fix it?
Well, wxCode evolved over years - it started back in 2002. Today we have the situation that the components have names which differ quite often from the name of their respective SVN subfolder and which differ also almost always from the names of the file release folders. The database holding the components' information just lists the names of the components and their SVN folders, but not of their release folders. And there are many components not even having a file release folder. So it's not a simple task to fix it. It would at least be necessary to add a field for the name of the file release folder to the database, but one component could have more than one file release folder (at least for my own component wxPdfDocument this is the case).

I'll see what I can do about it. Fixing the issue is certainly possible, but there won't be a quick fix, sorry.

Regards,

Ulrich
utelle

Post by utelle »

evstevemd wrote:I don't know much about how SF wxCode operates but what About providing a link to component files directly something like
<a href="http://sourceforge.net/projects/wxcode/ ... z/download"> Download Tar File</a>
This sounds simple enough and can be certainly done on the individual website of a component (which is completely under control of the component's maintainer). But it's not that easy for the components overview lists which are generated automatically.

Regards,

Ulrich
MAB
Earned a small fee
Earned a small fee

Post by MAB »

The database holding the components' information just lists the names of the components and their SVN folders, but not of their release folders. And there are many components not even having a file release folder. So it's not a simple task to fix it.
I know about it, i seen php-scripts.
I'll see what I can do about it. Fixing the issue is certainly possible, but there won't be a quick fix, sorry.
It's not problem for me, but a ordinary user see a lot of components, instead of one, that he wants to download.
PB
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Post by PB »

MAB wrote:It's not problem for me, but a ordinary user see a lot of components, instead of one, that he wants to download.
The issue is certainly there, but do not forget that those ordinary users of wxFreeChart are C++ programmers, I believe they will manage just fine, just like I did. :wink:
MAB
Earned a small fee
Earned a small fee

Post by MAB »

The issue is certainly there, but do not forget that those ordinary users of wxFreeChart are C++ programmers, I believe they will manage just fine, just like I did.
Many people asked me about this issue. Ok, i'll try to fix it on wxFreeChart webpage.
utelle

Post by utelle »

MAB wrote:
The issue is certainly there, but do not forget that those ordinary users of wxFreeChart are C++ programmers, I believe they will manage just fine, just like I did.
Many people asked me about this issue.
How many? Since I became wxCode administrator at least no one asked me.
MAB wrote:Ok, i'll try to fix it on wxFreeChart webpage.
Definitely a good idea.

The download links on the wxCode components lists should now work as expected for those wxCode components which have file releases. I added a download location field as a quick and dirty hack. There is more to do in the long run, but that hasn't the highest priority on my to-do list.

Regards,

Ulrich
kso
In need of some credit
In need of some credit

Post by kso »

Hi MAB and friends!

Thanks for creating a great library! I have just started using wxFreeChart.

I am not sure if my post is at the right place, so please direct me if I and apologies if it is wrong as this message is mostly directed to MAB but others please feel free to reply to my questions if you know the answers.

I have tried to contact you (MAB) using your email from your website. I took the "NOSPAM!@" portion out and I got a failed send.

I am attempting to make a package for your wxFreeChart on Arch Linux for the Arch User Repository (AUR). I did a search on
https://aur.archlinux.org/packages

... and currently could not find a package for wxFreeChart on Arch Linux.

I have downloaded freechart-1.6.tar.gz from
https://sourceforge.net/projects/wxcode ... xFreeChart

May I plaase ask some questions.

1. I am asking for your permission to make a package from your wxFreeChart. Are you happy with this? Or did you wanted to plan to do this yourself?

If you (MAB) are happy with me doing this, then I have further questions to ask:

2. Is the package more correctly called wxFreeChart or FreeChart?

3. For making a package is it better to get the latest stable release from sourceforge or SVN (I am not sure if the SVN ones are stable)?

4. After I run the ./configure command I get this at the end:

----------------------------------------------------------------
Configuration for WXFREECHART 1.4 successfully completed.
Summary of main configuration settings for WXFREECHART:
- RELEASE build
- UNICODE mode
- SHARED mode

The wxWidgets build which will be used by WXFREECHART 1.4
has the following settings:
- RELEASE build
- UNICODE mode
- SHARED mode
- VERSION: 3.0.2
- PORT: gtk2

Now, just run make.
----------------------------------------------------------------

... therefore I am assuming this is version 1.6 but the configure script was not updated to reflect this change? Please correct me if I am wrong.

Many Thanks
gunterkoenigsmann
Earned a small fee
Earned a small fee

Post by gunterkoenigsmann »

Is development on this package still ongoing? It actually works great and seems to be quite fast.

If yes we would need one modification for wxWidgets 3.x: The minimum size of a wxChartPanel needs to be set to >1 pixel. Or more precisely: Older versions of wxWidgets would allow to create empty bitmaps by setting their size to wxSize(0,0). In wxWidgets >=3.0 this makes an assert fail => The minimum size of the bitmap generated has to be set to 1 pixel x 1 pixel.

...and does anybody know how to reduce the distance between y axis and the plot? The example does do this but I don't seem to be able to find out how.

Thanks a lot,
and kind regards,

Gunter.
PB
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Post by PB »

It appears that the author has abandoned the project in 2012.

The most up-to-date version I know of is here: https://github.com/iwbnwif/wxFreeChart

I fixed the invalid bitmap size assert issue, replaced some deprecated drawing-related constants and made few more changes; iwbnwif also made some changes, but that's all. See the post 2012 commit history: https://github.com/iwbnwif/wxFreeChart/commits/master
iwbnwif
Super wx Problem Solver
Super wx Problem Solver

Post by iwbnwif »

Hi,

As pointed out by PB, we have both done some small work on the library since it was abandoned in 2012.

The most significant change that I made was this one https://github.com/iwbnwif/wxFreeChart/ ... d26e546b21

Which basically saves redrawing the grid and axis each time. This is only really applicable to dynamic charts where it makes quite an improvement.

I would hope to spend more time on this library at some point, but unfortunately can't make any promises at the moment.

Please feel free to add any issues that you think need addressing.
wxWidgets 3.1.2, MinGW64 8.1.0, g++ 8.1.0, Ubuntu 19.04, Windows 10, CodeLite + wxCrafter
Some people, when confronted with a GUI problem, think "I know, I'll use Eclipse RCP". Now they have two problems.
psychegr
Knows some wx things
Knows some wx things

Post by psychegr »

Hi,

anyone knows how i can use mouse events on a chart panel? I would like to be able to drag a data point up and down(y axis) and also zoom/pan.
I have the wxFreeChart 1.7 compiled with wxWidgets 3.0.2 on win10 machine.
Any help would be highly appreciated because i am looking at the source files and the mouse event handlers are empty.
Also i got an assertion in wxBitmap::GetRawData. I thought that this was corrected on 1.7 version.

Regards
PB
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Post by PB »

I'm just curious, where did you get version 1.7 from? AFAIK the last official (by Andrey) version available is 1.6? There is also a version where iwnbf and I made few cosmetic changes at github.

From what I remember 1.6 had some code related to events but I do not think it was ever finished/functional.
psychegr
Knows some wx things
Knows some wx things

Post by psychegr »

PB wrote:I'm just curious, where did you get version 1.7 from? AFAIK the last official (by Andrey) version available is 1.6? There is also a version where iwnbf and I made few cosmetic changes at github.

From what I remember 1.6 had some code related to events but I do not think it was ever finished/functional.
I did download the version from iwnbf's github and at the ReadMe.txt it clearly says version 1.7 and a couple lines later on the changelog under the 1.7 version is says "... was added" next to many features but probably that never happened. :(
So now i am thinking because all i want from wxFreeChart is the XY charts function. Should i try and "finish" some of these features, or should i go on and start from scratch to develop my own chart widget? I have been using the wxFreeChart for a couple years now but now it is time to mess with it because i really need the zoom/pan and mouse events. Is there any kind of documentation about the code besides the doxygen files? It will take me a while to understand how the code works on this.

Regards
psychegr
Knows some wx things
Knows some wx things

Post by psychegr »

Hi,

well i decided to start working on adding some mouse event handling on the xy plot line charts.
Bellow you can see the mouse event handler but still it needs lots of work because it lags quite a bit when dragging the lines.

Code: Select all

void wxChartPanel::OnMouseEvents(wxMouseEvent &ev)
{
	//wxClientDC dc(this);
	wxMemoryDC dc(m_backBitmap);
	XYPlot* plot = (XYPlot*)m_chart->GetPlot();

VectorDataset *dataset = (VectorDataset*)plot->GetDataset(0);
	Axis* axis = plot->GetDatasetAxis(dataset, false);

if (m_mode == NULL) {
        //return ;
    }

if (ev.LeftDown())
	{
		wxLogMessage("left down X : %g\tY : %g", (double)ev.GetX(), (double)ev.GetY());
	}
	else if (ev.LeftUp())
	{
		wxLogMessage("left up");
	}
	else if (ev.Dragging())
	{
		double x=0;
		double y=0;
		if (plot->ToDataCoords(0, dc, GetClientRect(), ev.GetX(), ev.GetY(), &x, &y))
		{
			dataset->BeginUpdate();
			dataset->Replace((int)x, y);
			dataset->EndUpdate();
			Refresh();
		}
	}
	else if (ev.Moving())
	{
	}
}
I would really appreciate any suggestions from you guys. This code needs lots of improvement. One is to get the wxRect of the plot area as currently it gives me the wxRect of the whole chart panel. Also another thing is that i need to make this work on the square symbols that the XYLineRenderer draws. Now i can left click and drag and it will change all the points of the graph as i move the mouse in the plot. I found out that the square symbols are 10x10 pixels, so the user will have to click in that specific area and drag in order to change the value. Also there must be a way to update the drawing, maybe wxBufferedPaintDC or something. Now it is slow and laggy.