Release candidate of version 7.4

If you are using wxDev-C++ for your wxWidgets design, please ask your questions here instead of in IDE Related.
tbreina

Release candidate of version 7.4

Post by tbreina »

Robert Wall and the usual suspects have been working on an update to wxDev-C++. Thanks to Robert, the gdb debugger interface is (hopefully) once again usable.

We've also fixed quite a few bugs and added some minor enhancements.

Please let me know if you've downloaded the RC even if you can't figure out how to crash it.

Hopefully, we can post a full release with wxWidgets 2.9.2 devpaks in the next week or so.

-Tony

[EDIT 12 OCT 2011 - 1615 PST]
Looks like more people downloaded the RC than I expected. SF has asked me to move the RC to their file release system. Hopefully, I'll get access again tonight to move the package.

[EDIT 12 OCT 2011 - 1900 PST]
I've put the RC onto the SourceForge file system at http://sourceforge.net/projects/wxdsgn/ ... z/download
Everybody's got something to hide except for me and my monkey.
Muddobbers
In need of some credit
In need of some credit

Re: Release candidate of version 7.4

Post by Muddobbers »

I've downloaded it and put it into a copied folder to test it out with a few of my programs. I'm really impressed with the stability so far.

So far I've come across one little thing with a WxTreeCtrl, when you go to edit the properties of the "Items" row and "Edit Nodes" it comes up with a dialog box: TJvInspectorTreeNodesItem.Edit

Good job so far!
tbreina

Post by tbreina »

Muddobbers wrote: So far I've come across one little thing with a WxTreeCtrl, when you go to edit the properties of the "Items" row and "Edit Nodes" it comes up with a dialog box: TJvInspectorTreeNodesItem.Edit
Thanks. I'll check out the wxTreeCtrl bug. Please keep up the testing. I definitely need to know where the bugs lay and how to crash it.

-Tony
Tony0945
Earned some good credits
Earned some good credits

Post by Tony0945 »

Downloaded it and used 7-zip to extract it to C:\Program Files/Dev-Cpp. When I ran the program, it was still showing v 7.3. So then I extracted it to a new folder on a different partition, E:\Dev-Cpp. Then I used Windows Cut-and-Paste from My Computer to cut E:\Dev-Cpp and paste it into C:\Program Files. I clicked "Yes to All" on the Message Box and all went well. Upon reloading the program it displayed 7.4.0.66

I have an app with a memory leak. Perhaps now, the debugger will help me find it.
tbreina

Post by tbreina »

Tony0945 wrote:Downloaded it and used 7-zip to extract it to C:\Program Files/Dev-Cpp. When I ran the program, it was still showing v 7.3. So then I extracted it to a new folder on a different partition, E:\Dev-Cpp. Then I used Windows Cut-and-Paste from My Computer to cut E:\Dev-Cpp and paste it into C:\Program Files. I clicked "Yes to All" on the Message Box and all went well. Upon reloading the program it displayed 7.4.0.66

I have an app with a memory leak. Perhaps now, the debugger will help me find it.
Yes, the first time you tried it with C:, you probably didn't elevate your permissions. We had similar problems in the past with getting the WebUpdate to work in Vista (and I assume it continues with Windows 7). Basically, you need to run 7-zip as Administrator (right click on the 7-zip icon and select "Run as Administrator"). Otherwise, it will pretend it is writing to the c:\Program Files\Dev-Cpp directory but it really is writing to a protected cache directory.

-Tony
jgrzybowski
Earned some good credits
Earned some good credits

Post by jgrzybowski »

I have unzipped and run and I have version 7.4.0.66. I have found two things which could be some bug:
1)Before new wxDevCpp start a compilation it is showing a message box for each XPM file included into a project. So, if I have total 10 bitmap buttons I have to see 10 messages with XPM file path and push OK. After that is showing compilation progress dialog as usual.
2)In one application I have got wxListBook with 3 pages (wxNotebookPage). In a RAD (myframe.wxform) I can see only first two pages. Last added third page I could edit in a RAD only just after it was added. When I have changed page I can not see third page any more (I edit components on this page via Properties window and manual code). But I can see some panel around pages which has tool-tip: “: TPageControl”

Next release it is great news! Thanks a lot.
Regards
Jarek
Tony0945
Earned some good credits
Earned some good credits

Post by Tony0945 »

Same as comment 1 by jgrzybowski . I have one project with an XPM file. I get that message box he describes on compile, compile and run, and rebuild all.
I'm sure if you have a test app and you just add an XPM file, it can be reproduced.

Second comment. When I try to run from the debug menu, I get an error message that the debugger cannot run, no symbol table, use File command.

I have no idea how to use the File command to load a symbol table. I went over the project options and I didn't see anything related to debugging. The menu seems to be rather sparse on options also.
tbreina

Post by tbreina »

Tony0945 wrote:Same as comment 1 by jgrzybowski . I have one project with an XPM file. I get that message box he describes on compile, compile and run, and rebuild all.
I'm sure if you have a test app and you just add an XPM file, it can be reproduced.

Second comment. When I try to run from the debug menu, I get an error message that the debugger cannot run, no symbol table, use File command.

I have no idea how to use the File command to load a symbol table. I went over the project options and I didn't see anything related to debugging. The menu seems to be rather sparse on options also.

Ooops. Yes, the message box was clearly some part of the code that I had been testing. I'm still having some trouble with the XPM generation occurring correctly. I'll be sure to remove the box ASAP.

As far as the symbol table goes, it sounds like you might not have compiled the program with the debugging symbols on. For the MingW gcc compiler set, go to Project->Project Options->Compiler->Linker: and select yes for "Generate debugging information". Note that you should also turn off any compiler optimization when debugging (Project->Project Options->Compiler->Optimization. Otherwise, the source code lines that gdb sees might not be the same line numbers in your source code.

-Tony

p.s. Mal has started to upload the new wxWidgets and MingW devpaks. We're testing whether the gcc 4.5 and wxWidgets 2.8.12 devpaks are ok. We'll also have the 2.9.2 devpaks, but the contrib and extra devpaks are still a work in progress (the wxCode sources are out of date for 2.9).
tbreina

Post by tbreina »

I've updated the 7-zip file again. It (hopefully) removes the message box that pops up with the XPM file name. I've been having some sporadic cases where changing the bitmap for a control doesn't write a new XPM file. So that's why I had the popup window for testing. If someone could help me pin down those errors, I'd be grateful.

mudrobbers: I've also fixed the 'wxBITMAP_TYPE_JPEG' issue. Please check it. Still working on the wxTreeCtrl interface.

Thanks to everyone for the testing. Hopefully I can figure out these remaining few bugs before anyone finds more.

-Tony
jgrzybowski
Earned some good credits
Earned some good credits

Post by jgrzybowski »

In my current application XPM files looks as following (compiled by 7.3.1.3):

Code: Select all

////Header Include Start
#include "Images/Chrome_CalcFrm_ID_MNU_PRODUKTYCHROMOWANE_1040_XPM.xpm"
#include "Images/Chrome_CalcFrm_ID_MNU_KALKULACJA_1041_XPM.xpm"
#include "Images/Chrome_CalcFrm_ID_MNU_RAPORTY_1042_XPM.xpm"
#include "Images/Chrome_CalcFrm_ID_MNU_USTAWIENIA_1043_XPM.xpm"
#include "Images/Chrome_CalcFrm_ID_MNU_INFORMACJA_1044_XPM.xpm"
#include "Images/Chrome_CalcFrm_ID_MNU_ZAMKNIJ_1045_XPM.xpm"

#include "Images/Chrome_CalcFrm_bitmapbuttonDrukujProdukty_XPM.xpm"
#include "Images/Chrome_CalcFrm_bitmapbuttonUsunProdukt_XPM.xpm"
#include "Images/Chrome_CalcFrm_bitmapbuttonEdycjaProduktu_XPM.xpm"
#include "Images/Chrome_CalcFrm_bitmapbuttonKopiowanieProduktu_XPM.xpm"
#include "Images/Chrome_CalcFrm_bitmapbuttonDodajProdukt_XPM.xpm"
#include "Images/Chrome_CalcFrm_bitmapbuttonDrukujMaszyny_XPM.xpm"
#include "Images/Chrome_CalcFrm_bitmapbuttonUsunMaszyne_XPM.xpm"
#include "Images/Chrome_CalcFrm_bitmapbuttonEdycjaMaszyny_XPM.xpm"
#include "Images/Chrome_CalcFrm_bitmapbuttonKopiujMaszyne_XPM.xpm"
#include "Images/Chrome_CalcFrm_bitmapbuttonDodajMaszyne_XPM.xpm"
#include "Images/Chrome_CalcFrm_toolbuttonZamknij_XPM.xpm"
#include "Images/Chrome_CalcFrm_toolbuttonInfo_XPM.xpm"
////Header Include End
I have opened the same project DEV in new version 7.4.0.70 and just compiled (no changes) successfully without any errors. Than I have removed bitmap file from bitmap-button (bitmapbuttonDodajProdukt: Properties window->Edit Picture->Delete) and load the same bitmap file again (it is PNG). This time DevCpp has created new additional empty sub folder “Images” (inside previous folder “Images” created by 7.3.1.3) and other bitmap-buttons from the same boxsizer has got included not XPM files but source bitmap files like PNG (those files I was loading for each button in 7.3.1.3). Of course compilation took some errors on first PNG file:

////Header Include Start

#include "D:/Narzedzia_IPC/Chrome_Calc/Images/Images/Chrome_CalcFrm_bitmapbuttonDodajProdukt_XPM.xpm"
#include "D:\Narzedzia_IPC\Chrome_Calc\Images\print.xpm"
#include "D:\Narzedzia_IPC\Chrome_Calc\Images\delete.png"
#include "D:\Narzedzia_IPC\Chrome_Calc\Images\pencil.png"
#include "D:\Narzedzia_IPC\Chrome_Calc\Images\copy.PNG"
#include "D:\Narzedzia_IPC\Chrome_Calc\Images\add.png"
#include "D:\Narzedzia_IPC\Chrome_Calc\Images\Close.xpm"
#include "D:\Narzedzia_IPC\Chrome_Calc\Images\Info.xpm"
////Header Include End
Regards
Jarek
tbreina

Post by tbreina »

jgrzybowski wrote:

////Header Include Start
Regards
Jarek
Yes, I wasn't sure of the best way to do this. I thought it was best to place all of the XPM files in one subdirectory (aka Images) to make large projects more organized. Of course, if you are migrating from a previous version, you'll need to copy those XPM files into the Images directory. Ideally, I should also copy the native graphic files to the Output subdirectory (since they'll be needed during execution). However, moving them seemed a little overkill.

To be honest, the XPM stuff is still a little broken. It appears that the XPM file save is recurring whenever the project is saved or compiled. So that's obviously an unnecessary drag on speed. Also, I've found that if you change the graphic file the XPM file is sometimes not overwritten (although my tests now indicate that it has to due with the size of the bitmap).

If you've got suggestions on the best way to do this, please let me know. I'm open to suggestions.

-Tony
Tony0945
Earned some good credits
Earned some good credits

Post by Tony0945 »

7.4.0.66 Seems to have solved the XPM problem. Debugger seems to work good too, at least run to breakpoint, run to cursor, step over and step into. Watching variables seems more difficult, but I last used a debugger over seven years ago. I remember that one (Intel? Microsoft?) would display all the local variables automatically in a window on entry to the function, but heck, what does one want for free?

Will continue to report problems as I find them.
BarrRobot
Knows some wx things
Knows some wx things

Post by BarrRobot »

Tony0945 wrote:7.4.0.66 Seems to have solved the XPM problem. Debugger seems to work good too, at least run to breakpoint, run to cursor, step over and step into. Watching variables seems more difficult, but I last used a debugger over seven years ago. I remember that one (Intel? Microsoft?) would display all the local variables automatically in a window on entry to the function, but heck, what does one want for free?

Will continue to report problems as I find them.
If you have the Debug tab selected and under that the Local Variables tab also selected, then it does display the local variables as soon as it stops, either single-stepping or at a breakpoint.

Watched variables are updated at the same time as well.
But note: if you think you have set watches on two variables with the same name but in different scopes, both will be shown having the value of the one that is in scope (Say you have a counter "count" in a loop, inside the loop is a call to a function that also has a loop counter "count", and you set a watch - you think - on each "count", then on the first iteration of the outer loop and the third of the inner loop, both watched variables "count" will show the value "2" even though the value of the outer is really "0").

PM me if you really want to know why this is so.
If, 6 months later, you can't understand what you coded, it was too complicated to begin with.