OpenGL canvas behavior with 2.9.1, OSX 10.6/cocoa 64bit Topic is solved

Do you have a typical platform dependent issue you're battling with ? Ask it here. Make sure you mention your platform, compiler, and wxWidgets version.
tedzini
Knows some wx things
Knows some wx things

OpenGL canvas behavior with 2.9.1, OSX 10.6/cocoa 64bit

Post by tedzini »

Greetings,

I am in the midst of porting my Win32-based app to MAC OSX 10.6.x. There are a couple of glitches that I need to track down. The app uses a canvas with OpenGL context. The viewport is now shifted by a few pixels that appear to be equivalent to the 3D boarder width around the canvas. To be more clear, the viewport is shifted a few pixels downward, and to the left.

I compiled an x86,64bit cocoa build for 10.6.

Has anyone experienced anything like that? Should I build on-top of carbon instead?

thanks,
Ted
Auria
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Auria »

Hi,

I guess it depends on whether you need 64-bits support. If you don't need 64 bits (and remember, 32 bits binaries run just fine on 64-bits macs), then carbon is recommended for now simply because wxOSX/Carbon is rather stable, while wxOSX/Cocoa is in its fancy and is not quite complete yet
"Keyboard not detected. Press F1 to continue"
-- Windows
tedzini
Knows some wx things
Knows some wx things

Post by tedzini »

OK, in that case I decided to try supporting 10.5. I need to enable openGL support. I tried this:

arch_flags = "arch i386"
./configure -with-osx_carbon --disable-shared --disable-compat24 --enable-unicode --enable-universal-binary --with-opengl --with-macosx-sdk=/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.5.sdk --with-macosx-version-min=10.5 CFLAGS="$arch_flags" CXXFLAGS="$arch_flags" CPPFLAGS="$arch_flags" LDFLAGS="$arch_flags" OBJCFLAGS="$arch_flags" OBJCXXFLAGS="$arch_flags"

and this:

./configure -with-osx_carbon --disable-shared --disable-compat24 --enable-unicode --enable-universal-binary --enable-opengl --with-macosx-sdk=/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.5.sdk --with-macosx-version-min=10.5 CFLAGS="$arch_flags" CXXFLAGS="$arch_flags" CPPFLAGS="$arch_flags" LDFLAGS="$arch_flags" OBJCFLAGS="$arch_flags" OBJCXXFLAGS="$arch_flags"

Neither configs indicate OpenGL support = no in both cases. Can someone supply me with the correct ./configure parameters?

thanks,

t
Auria
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Auria »

The flag is named "--with-opengl", not "--enable-opengl"

Also, it is recommended to create a build dir, and invoke ../configure from there - this is cleaner since each build has its files separated. Invoking configure several times in the same directory can result in confused build files
-- Windows
tedzini
Knows some wx things
Knows some wx things

Post by tedzini »

..In the first config I did try "--with-opengl" and openGL support was still disabled. I'll create a new dir and see if that makes a difference.

thanks very much for the quick reply!

t
tedzini
Knows some wx things
Knows some wx things

Post by tedzini »

Well, I built it anyway, and the samples OpenGL apps compiled linked and ran normally (with OSX 10.5 SDK/gcc 4.2).

However, with my own app (through Xcode 3.2) I'm getting unresolved OpenGL functions when linking. Here's the ld command, followed by the external errors in build output. I don't want to hijack my own thread-- but is this a linker error or still something that I could have overlooked in the ../configure script (by the way, I started with a clean wx2.9.1 build directory-- just to make sure nothing was getting crossed up) ??:

Xcode 3.2 generated link line:

<snip>
setenv MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET 10.5
/Developer/usr/bin/g++-4.2 -arch i386 -isysroot /Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.5.sdk -L/Users/tmorris/TruckWatch/build/Release -L/Users/tmorris/TruckWatch/../wxWidgets-2.9.1-orig/librelease -F/Users/tmorris/TruckWatch/build/Release "-F/Users/tmorris/TruckWatch/../OpenSceneGraph-2.8.3/Xcode/OpenSceneGraph/build/Release 32bit Carbon" -filelist /Users/tmorris/TruckWatch/build/TruckWatch.build/Release/TruckWatch.build/Objects-normal/i386/TruckWatch.LinkFileList -mmacosx-version-min=10.5 -framework OpenThreads -framework osg -framework osgAnimation -framework osgDB -framework osgFX -framework osgGA -framework osgIntrospection -framework osgManipulator -framework osgParticle -framework osgShadow -framework osgSim -framework osgTerrain -framework osgText -framework osgUtil -framework osgViewer -framework osgVolume -lwx_baseu_net-2.9 -lwx_baseu_xml-2.9 -lwx_baseu-2.9 -lwx_osx_carbonu_adv-2.9 -lwx_osx_carbonu_aui-2.9 -lwx_osx_carbonu_core-2.9 -lwx_osx_carbonu_gl-2.9 -lwx_osx_carbonu_html-2.9 -lwx_osx_carbonu_media-2.9 -lwx_osx_carbonu_propgrid-2.9 -lwx_osx_carbonu_qa-2.9 -lwx_osx_carbonu_ribbon-2.9 -lwx_osx_carbonu_richtext-2.9 -lwx_osx_carbonu_stc-2.9 -lwx_osx_carbonu_xrc-2.9 -lwxjpeg-2.9 -lwxpng-2.9 -lwxregexu-2.9 -lwxscintilla-2.9 -lwxtiff-2.9 -framework AudioToolbox -framework Carbon -framework IOKit -framework OpenGL -framework QuickTime -framework WebKit -liconv -lm -lz -framework Cocoa -o /Users/tmorris/TruckWatch/build/Release/TruckWatch.app/Contents/MacOS/TruckWatch

<snip>

AND THE BUILD RESULT OUTPUT FROM LD (note that OpenGL.framework included in linker above):

<snip>
"_aglSetCurrentContext", referenced from:
WXGLSetCurrentContext(__AGLContextRec*) in libwx_osx_carbonu_gl-2.9.a(gllib_carbon_glcanvas.o)

"_aglCreateContext", referenced from:
WXGLCreateContext(__AGLPixelFormatRec*, __AGLContextRec*) in libwx_osx_carbonu_gl-2.9.a(gllib_carbon_glcanvas.o)

"_aglEnable", referenced from:
wxGLCanvas::SetViewport() in libwx_osx_carbonu_gl-2.9.a(gllib_carbon_glcanvas.o)

"_aglDestroyContext", referenced from:
WXGLDestroyContext(__AGLContextRec*) in libwx_osx_carbonu_gl-2.9.a(gllib_carbon_glcanvas.o)

"_aglSetDrawable", referenced from:
wxGLContext::SetCurrent(wxGLCanvas const&) constin libwx_osx_carbonu_gl-2.9.a(gllib_carbon_glcanvas.o)

wxGLCanvas::Create(wxWindow*, int, wxPoint const&, wxSize const&, long, wxString const&, int const*, wxPalette const&)in libwx_osx_carbonu_gl-2.9.a(gllib_carbon_glcanvas.o)

"_aglSwapBuffers", referenced from:
wxGLCanvas::SwapBuffers() in libwx_osx_carbonu_gl-2.9.a(gllib_carbon_glcanvas.o)

"_aglGetError", referenced from:
wxLogAGLError(char const*)in libwx_osx_carbonu_gl-2.9.a(gllib_carbon_glcanvas.o)

"_aglGetCurrentContext", referenced from:
WXGLGetCurrentContext() in libwx_osx_carbonu_gl-2.9.a(gllib_carbon_glcanvas.o)

"_aglUpdateContext", referenced from:
wxGLCanvas::SetViewport() in libwx_osx_carbonu_gl-2.9.a(gllib_carbon_glcanvas.o)

"_aglErrorString", referenced from:
wxLogAGLError(char const*)in libwx_osx_carbonu_gl-2.9.a(gllib_carbon_glcanvas.o)

"_aglSetInteger", referenced from:

wxGLContext::SetCurrent(wxGLCanvas const&) constin libwx_osx_carbonu_gl-2.9.a(gllib_carbon_glcanvas.o)

wxGLCanvas::Create(wxWindow*, int, wxPoint const&, wxSize const&, long, wxString const&, int const*, wxPalette const&)in libwx_osx_carbonu_gl-2.9.a(gllib_carbon_glcanvas.o)

"_aglDestroyPixelFormat", referenced from:
WXGLDestroyPixelFormat(__AGLPixelFormatRec*) in libwx_osx_carbonu_gl-2.9.a(gllib_carbon_glcanvas.o)

"_aglChoosePixelFormat", referenced from:
WXGLChoosePixelFormat(int const*)in libwx_osx_carbonu_gl-2.9.a(gllib_carbon_glcanvas.o)

ld: symbol(s) not found

collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
Auria
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Auria »

Add the framework "AGL" to your link flags.
-- Windows
tedzini
Knows some wx things
Knows some wx things

Post by tedzini »

greetings --

well that fixed those bugs -- thanks! just curious why I didn't need that one for cocoa 64bit , but maybe that is a 'long answer'.

I will accept the post as 'solved'

thnx,
T