[solved] wxHtmlHelpController Topic is solved

If you are using the main C++ distribution of wxWidgets, Feel free to ask any question related to wxWidgets development here. This means questions regarding to C++ and wxWidgets, not compile problems.
Tony0945
Earned some good credits
Earned some good credits

[solved] wxHtmlHelpController

Post by Tony0945 »

What tool, preferably free, can I use to turn an ordinary .htm file into an .htb file for use with wxHtmlController?
Last edited by Tony0945 on Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
jfouche
Super wx Problem Solver
Super wx Problem Solver

Post by jfouche »

Probably HTML Help Workshop is what you need.
Jérémie
tierra
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by tierra »

The HTB file format is just simply a ZIP file of all your HTML files. That's it. There's nothing more to it. It's much easier to built an HTB file than a CHM file.
Tony0945
Earned some good credits
Earned some good credits

Post by Tony0945 »

HTML Help Workshop did indeed work for wxCHMHelpController. I would have liked to use the more sophisticated wxHTMLController but when I tried zipping up the HTML file, no data displayed in the Help Box, i.e. the box displayed but there were no contents.

For now, the .chm file built by the Microsoft Tool worked, so I can at least distribute a help file, but I think I lost cross-platform capability.

Thanks for the prompt help from all.
evstevemd
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Post by evstevemd »

Tony0945 wrote:HTML Help Workshop did indeed work for wxCHMHelpController. I would have liked to use the more sophisticated wxHTMLController but when I tried zipping up the HTML file, no data displayed in the Help Box, i.e. the box displayed but there were no contents.

For now, the .chm file built by the Microsoft Tool worked, so I can at least distribute a help file, but I think I lost cross-platform capability.

Thanks for the prompt help from all.
Create your html files and zip them (let say to help.zip) then rename it to htb extension (that is, help.htb)
There you go!
Chief Justice: We have trouble dear citizens!
Citizens: What it is his honor?
Chief Justice:Our president is an atheist, who will he swear to?
recobb
Knows some wx things
Knows some wx things

Post by recobb »

According to my notes, there is one more step you need to take when you used the zipped file approach, and that is to add a handler for the archive:

Code: Select all

/* for zipped help file: need to #include <wx/fs_arc.h>
    and AddHandler below */
    wxFileSystem::AddHandler(new wxArchiveFSHandler);
I forget where I found that info, but the zipped file would not work for me until I added that.

Richard