wxWidgets install in Linux Topic is solved

Do you have a typical platform dependent issue you're battling with ? Ask it here. Make sure you mention your platform, compiler, and wxWidgets version.
GordonAkst
Earned a small fee
Earned a small fee

wxWidgets install in Linux

Post by GordonAkst » Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:07 pm

Trying to install wxWidgets in Linux.
Get an error message saying GTK+ not installed properly, probably pkg-config install.
I did a pkg-config that appeared OK.
A rpm query for pkgconfig shows an installed version, but for pkg-config shows not installed.
Two folders exist: /usr/lib/pkgconfig and /usr/bin/pkgconfig.
Questions:
What is difference between pkgconfig and pkg-config?
What is wrong and how do I correctly install pkg-config?
Thanks.

DavidHart
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DavidHart » Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:41 am

Hi,

I could have been more specific if you'd mentioned which distro you're using, and how you're trying to install (the wx distro package, or from a tarball). However, in general, that error message doesn't mean that there's anything wrong with pkg-config, but is caused by a missing -devel package; often gtk2-devel (that's the fedora name; it may differ in other distros).

Regards,

David

AUser
Knows some wx things
Knows some wx things

Post by AUser » Fri Sep 03, 2010 4:21 pm

It sounds like you are trying to build wxWidgets from the source code.

Unless you are sure this is what you should be doing, use your package manager instead, building from source can be complicated. The required development files (headers) are, as the previous poster said, contained in RPMs using the -devel notation.

For fedora/RHEL/centos:
====
As administrator:
yum install wxGTK-devel
==

For opensuse
====
type into a terminal:
sudo zypper install wxWidgets-devel
====

You should then be able to compile a basic hello world program against wx. You can check for the headers being installed by doing an rpm file query for wx.h. Under opensuse, this is located in /usr/include/wx-2.8/wx/wx.h

Edit: (wait, you said RPM, so you are running a RH/Suse derived dist..)