why wxWidgets have no "official" support for datab Topic is solved

This forum is reserved for everything you want to talk about. It could be about programming, opinions, open source programs, development in general, or just cool stuff to share!
evstevemd
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

why wxWidgets have no "official" support for datab

Post by evstevemd »

Please don't tell me to ask developers, as it is just question not request :)
Why doesn't wx Have its own JDBC? Many app these days are DB driven but no official for wxWidgets. Is it inherited flaw from C++ itself?

I would like to hear your opinions
Chief Justice: We have trouble dear citizens!
Citizens: What it is his honor?
Chief Justice:Our president is an atheist, who will he swear to?
Auria
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Auria »

I think the main rationale is that wxWidgets is a GUI toolkit, not an all-encompassing framework. So it has to make choices and concentrate on where to spend its limited resources
"Keyboard not detected. Press F1 to continue"
-- Windows
Frank
Filthy Rich wx Solver
Filthy Rich wx Solver

Post by Frank »

Also, there are toolkits that specialize in DB-Access. So why would you roll your own, when it could never be of the same quality as the specialized?
evstevemd
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Post by evstevemd »

Frank wrote:Also, there are toolkits that specialize in DB-Access. So why would you roll your own, when it could never be of the same quality as the specialized?
would you point those ones for C++? I know JDBC for Java and MySQL Connector C++ but this one has no way to compile with my favorite MinGW. Not everybody wants to switch to MSVC :o
Chief Justice: We have trouble dear citizens!
Citizens: What it is his honor?
Chief Justice:Our president is an atheist, who will he swear to?
Frank
Filthy Rich wx Solver
Filthy Rich wx Solver

Post by Frank »

JDBC is Java's couterpart of ODBC in C. It's a generic, database independet API.

But there are C++ APIs too (don't know any, it's been some years since I looked. I rolled my own for DB2, because I wanted to use every trick to get the best performance out of DB2. No generic API for me, thanks). I remember one API, where the resultset is just another STL-Like-Container, very elegant. Don't remember it's name though...
Mojo
Super wx Problem Solver
Super wx Problem Solver

Post by Mojo »

Auria wrote:I think the main rationale is that wxWidgets is a GUI toolkit, not an all-encompassing framework. So it has to make choices and concentrate on where to spend its limited resources
Of course, first of all wxWidgets is a GUI toolkit, but minimal database support probably should be has, as well as it has XML support...
Win XP HE SP3, Vista
Xubuntu 12.04 LTS
wxWidgets-2.9.5
wxWidgets-3.0.0
Auria
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Auria »

Mojo: if someone steps in and writes a great, solid, stable database layer for wx, and is ready to maintain it, I'm sure it will be welcome. Meanwhile, wx does not have enough developers for that :)
"Keyboard not detected. Press F1 to continue"
-- Windows
Mojo
Super wx Problem Solver
Super wx Problem Solver

Post by Mojo »

Auria wrote:Mojo: if someone steps in and writes a great, solid, stable database layer for wx, and is ready to maintain it, I'm sure it will be welcome. Meanwhile, wx does not have enough developers for that :)
Sure :D I would make it with pleasure, but I'm afraid I don't have enough experience in database field :D hope in someday I'll get it and write a great, solid, stable database layer for wx. :D
Win XP HE SP3, Vista
Xubuntu 12.04 LTS
wxWidgets-2.9.5
wxWidgets-3.0.0
utelle

Post by utelle »

Auria wrote:if someone steps in and writes a great, solid, stable database layer for wx, and is ready to maintain it, I'm sure it will be welcome.
There is the wxCode component DatabaseLayer developed by Joseph Blough providing a JDBC-like interface and supporting several database systems (i.e. FireBird, MySQL, ODBC, Oracle, OTL, Postgres, SQLite, and TDS).

Regards,

Ulrich
lollisoft
Earned some good credits
Earned some good credits

Re:

Post by lollisoft »

utelle wrote:
Auria wrote:if someone steps in and writes a great, solid, stable database layer for wx, and is ready to maintain it, I'm sure it will be welcome.
There is the wxCode component DatabaseLayer developed by Joseph Blough providing a JDBC-like interface and supporting several database systems (i.e. FireBird, MySQL, ODBC, Oracle, OTL, Postgres, SQLite, and TDS).

Regards,

Ulrich
I think of DatabaseLayer as a definition how to adapt database systems to wxWidgets. I think about using interfaces (pure abstract classes) instead of a layer between wxWidgets and database backends. But then you are responsible to do much more than writing the backend.

I would argue that DatabaseLayer IS the one to be used for wxWidgets based applications. The library has a stable interface - in my view - as there are many backends, and thus it would be my choice if I write a plain wxWidgets database app.

Regards,

Lothar
OS: Windows 7, Mac OS X (Panther/Leopard/Snow Leopard), SuSE Linux, Debian (PPC), OpenMoko FreeRunner
Compiler: OpenWatcom, GCC
wxWidgets 2.8.x
IDE Makefile based.
RAD My own brewed, Code generation with XSLT and DialogBlocks