wxDev-C++ is slow

If you are using wxDev-C++ for your wxWidgets design, please ask your questions here instead of in IDE Related.
Erni
Knows some wx things
Knows some wx things

wxDev-C++ is slow

Post by Erni »

i have lastest version a wxDev-C++ and it's very very slow why?
and what can i do but he was foaster

:P
GianT
Earned some good credits
Earned some good credits

Post by GianT »

wxDev-C++ is slow when compiling, I agree...But notice that the more files you have in your project, the more time it will take to compile. If you want a suggestion to make it be faster, try overclocking your processor or just buy a more powerful one! :lol:
tiwag
Earned some good credits
Earned some good credits

Post by tiwag »

GianT wrote:... If you want a suggestion to make it be faster, try overclocking your processor or just buy a more powerful one! :lol:
usually the M$ approach :shock:
GianT
Earned some good credits
Earned some good credits

Post by GianT »

The M what?
tiwag
Earned some good credits
Earned some good credits

Post by tiwag »

GianT wrote:The M what?
Micro$oft
lowjoel
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Post by lowjoel »

maybe you want to put that in the wxdev-cpp bugtracker?
upCASE

Post by upCASE »

Hi!
It's not wxDev-C++ in general, but the underlying compiler (see here http://wxwidgets.solidsteel.nl/viewtopic.php?t=2074).

Maybe try unsing precompiled headers could help a little. See here http://wxwidgets.solidsteel.nl/viewtopic.php?t=2107
wx: svn
Compiler: gcc 4.5.1, VC 2008, eVC 4

"If it was hard to write it should be hard to read..." - the unknown coder
"Try not! Do. Or do not. There is no try." - Yoda
buildere
Super wx Problem Solver
Super wx Problem Solver

Use another compiler?

Post by buildere »

Maybe the best way to improve speed is use another compiler. In this thread there's some talk about using a free compiler from MS, but at the end is not clear to me wheter that option was feasible or not:

http://forums.wxwidgets.org/viewtopic.php?t=2213
ddaeschl
Knows some wx things
Knows some wx things

Post by ddaeschl »

upCASE wrote:Hi!

Maybe try unsing precompiled headers could help a little. See here http://wxwidgets.solidsteel.nl/viewtopic.php?t=2107
We used precompiled headers here for a while, and they did speed up compilation by say 50%. However we ditched them because:

1) They took a very long time to build
2) If one of the headers that was referenced in the file you were precompiling changed and you forgot to recompile your PCH it can cause the compiler to spit out errors that won't make sense because it is still looking at the old version of the header.

However, if it is the wx includes that are lagging the compiler out, it may be helpful to precompile just those and use them. In our case we had many template libraries that tended to change so PCH actually ended up costing us more time.
j_pilborough
Knows some wx things
Knows some wx things

Post by j_pilborough »

On my machine it takes a long time doing 'dependency checking' before compiling. DEV-C++ 4.9.9.2 never used to do that, so I don't know whether its a DEV-C++ 5 thing or a wxdev-c++ thing. Often it generates a makefile like this:

Code: Select all

myapp.exe: myfile.o
myfile.o: myfile.cpp In file included from myfile.cpp:10
Naturally make can't understand it. So if 'dependency checking' is your problem, use bakefiles instead since its quicker and more portable.
upCASE

Post by upCASE »

Hi!
j_pilborough wrote:On my machine it takes a long time doing 'dependency checking' before compiling. DEV-C++ 4.9.9.2 never used to do that, so I don't know whether its a DEV-C++ 5 thing or a wxdev-c++ thing. Often it generates a makefile like this:

Code: Select all

myapp.exe: myfile.o
myfile.o: myfile.cpp In file included from myfile.cpp:10
Naturally make can't understand it. So if 'dependency checking' is your problem, use bakefiles instead since its quicker and more portable.
The "dependency checking" is a Dev-C++ feature, but I guess it was disabled in Dev-C++, while wxDev-C++ enables it by default. Although it takes longer when compiling, it's a good idea to leave it on. Otherwise "quick makefile generation" will be used, which in turn leads to trouble when modifying a header file in a way, so that the source should be recompiled. Doing it the quick way won't recompile and compilation will fail. Leaving the option on will check what files have to be recompiled before each build step, resulting in longer times but better compilation.
wx: svn
Compiler: gcc 4.5.1, VC 2008, eVC 4

"If it was hard to write it should be hard to read..." - the unknown coder
"Try not! Do. Or do not. There is no try." - Yoda