Has anyone attempted to build MacOS apps from Linux? Topic is solved

Do you have a typical platform dependent issue you're battling with ? Ask it here. Make sure you mention your platform, compiler, and wxWidgets version.
Kenneth Camargo
Experienced Solver
Experienced Solver

Has anyone attempted to build MacOS apps from Linux?

Post by Kenneth Camargo »

See subject. I'd like to be able to create MacOS binaries from within Linux, wonder if someone already attempted that.

Thanks for any info,
Ken
Using gcc 4.7.2 (mainly), wxWidgets 2.8.12 & 2.9.4, Ubuntu 12.10 (32 bits and 64 bits), win xp (32 bits), win 7 (64 bits), trying to get a hand on Mac OSX Mountain Lion, code::blocks
tierra
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by tierra »

It's been attempted and successfully done with at least one project, but the project in question had no relation to wxWidgets.

I'm going to link that project's guide here, but I am in absolutely no way advocating that you do this. In fact, I strongly advise against it. Besides not being able to properly test builds, you're going to have little help from this community with maintaining any issues that come up because your cross-build stops working (and it will). Additionally, this guide involves coping over the Mac OS X SDK to your linux system from a Mac OS X system, which is diving into a legal gray area (IANAL). And with the amount of hours you are going to spend just getting this setup, and the hours spent maintaining it, if you're doing this on any company time, you could just save yourself more money by buying a Mac.

DO NOT DO THIS IF YOU ARE NOT INTIMATELY FAMILIAR WITH GCC COMPILER FEATURES, LINKING, GENERAL C/C++ DEVELOPMENT, AND THE WXWIDGETS BUILD SYSTEM. NEWBIES SHOULD TURN AROUND NOW.

With that out of the way, here's the guide: http://devs.openttd.org/~truebrain/comp ... arwin9.txt
Kenneth Camargo
Experienced Solver
Experienced Solver

Post by Kenneth Camargo »

Thanks for the information, but what do you really think? :)

(Just kidding)

Buying a Mac is beyond considerations. I develop FOSS on my spare time to be distributed freely, and don't make a penny out of it. And even if it weren't, I've had enough of closed systems, not going to get another one just for the pretty face.

Thanks a lot,
Ken
tierra wrote: I'm going to link that project's guide here, but I am in absolutely no way advocating that you do this. In fact, I strongly advise against it. Besides not being able to properly test builds, you're going to have little help from this community with maintaining any issues that come up because your cross-build stops working (and it will). Additionally, this guide involves coping over the Mac OS X SDK to your linux system from a Mac OS X system, which is diving into a legal gray area (IANAL). And with the amount of hours you are going to spend just getting this setup, and the hours spent maintaining it, if you're doing this on any company time, you could just save yourself more money by buying a Mac.
Using gcc 4.7.2 (mainly), wxWidgets 2.8.12 & 2.9.4, Ubuntu 12.10 (32 bits and 64 bits), win xp (32 bits), win 7 (64 bits), trying to get a hand on Mac OSX Mountain Lion, code::blocks
tierra
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by tierra »

Sorry, I needed to put the disclaimer in there. You're not the only one that asks this, and this thread will be read by several people other than yourself. I'm sure you agree that my statements are things that everyone should consider before attempting this. Hopefully I've saved some newbies from a massive headache because they really should not be attempting this.

Just dealing with the dependencies on things like libjpeg, zlib, libpng, and family can really screw with your head when the build system detects and links in the native linux libs instead of the ones built for Mac OS X (which the guide linked doesn't address in full) or using the ones included in wxWidgets.

In the six years I've been using wxWidgets, I have never once heard of someone successfully getting this setup with a wxWidgets-based application.

P.S. I'd be interested in hearing if you're successful.
Auria
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Auria »

Generally, it's just easier to find a mac person willing to do builds for you ;) ( note that i didn't say it's easy, just easier :P )
"Keyboard not detected. Press F1 to continue"
-- Windows
doublemax

Post by doublemax »

and talking about gray areas:

*cough* OSX runs on standard PCs and in virtual machines, Google is your friend...
Use the source, Luke!
qgranfor
Experienced Solver
Experienced Solver

Post by qgranfor »

http://www.sandroid.org/imcross/ might do what you're looking for. I've not tried the MacOSX part, but have had luck with the win32.