New wxFormBuilder development snapshot

Do you like to promote your wxWidgets based application or component!? Post it here and let's see what the critics have to say. Also, if you found that ONE wx component the world needs to know about, put it here for future reference.
jhurtado
Experienced Solver
Experienced Solver

New wxFormBuilder development snapshot

Post by jhurtado »

A new version of wxFormBuilder, a RAD Tool for wxWidgets with plugin extensions for custom widgets, is out!

wxFormBuilder is now very usable and there are important improvements on this version.

Features and changes:

- User interface is more practical and easy to use.
- Replacement of object properties window with wxPropertyGrid component.
- Undo/Redo
- Cut/Copy/Paste
- Xrc Import/Export customizable from the plugin interface.
- C++ code generation based on templates.
- MenuBar support for frames (not finished)
- Work on Linux

You can download sources and an installer for win32 on
http://software-libre.org/project/showf ... roup_id=71
https://sourceforge.net/project/showfil ... _id=135521

See screenshots on:
http://wxformbuilder.software-libre.org ... l#capturas
http://wxformbuilder.sourceforge.net/in ... l#capturas

Best regards,

Jose A. Hurtado
Last edited by jhurtado on Sat Jun 11, 2005 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
upCASE

Post by upCASE »

Hi!
Impresive I must say!

Maybe I should have spend more time on sizer code for wxRapid then on implementing all widgets :D
Seriously: It works charming and seems to be extensible through XML, a feature I've planned for wxRapid too, but that didn't make it too far. Cut and paste is really cool and the change to wxPropertyGrid was perfect.
As for the code: One can really tell that you spend quite some time on it. It's clean and tidy. Compared, mine is a real mess :D

Keep up the greate work! So far I'd say that we're surely no rivals, as wxRapid isn't that mature and it's power is more like "free hand editing" than sizer based code.

Again: Great work!
wx: svn
Compiler: gcc 4.5.1, VC 2008, eVC 4

"If it was hard to write it should be hard to read..." - the unknown coder
"Try not! Do. Or do not. There is no try." - Yoda
jhurtado
Experienced Solver
Experienced Solver

Post by jhurtado »

upCASE wrote: Again: Great work!
Thanks UpCase for your comments, we still work for more features.

"Free hand editing" is quite attractive and more easy for many people that work with others RADs such VB or Borland C++Builder. But I suggest you that remove the MDI frame and use normal Frames in order to Linux support.

Regards.
jhurtado
Experienced Solver
Experienced Solver

Post by jhurtado »

A new snapshot has been released on:

https://software-libre.org/project/show ... roup_id=71

Notes:
- Some Components don't support XRC import/export.
- Menubar only can be created on wxFrame but wxFB doesn't make this restriction.
- Use absolute path on property values.

ChangeLog:
- Bugfix on Undo/Redo with Cut&Paste operations.
- Bugfix on C++ code generation (#define ID_ on header file)
- A preliminary code generation with relative path.
- Shortcuts for common operations.
- More components.
- improvements on Menu editor.
- Toolbar/Statusbar support.
- Improvements on Designer (wxFrame emulation and better resizing).
Ric
Knows some wx things
Knows some wx things

Post by Ric »

This has great potential, but I couldn't find any documentation expaining how to use it. Are there any instructions elsewhere?
I'm hooked.
I love wxDev.
But I can't wait 'till I stop being a NooB ...;)
jhurtado
Experienced Solver
Experienced Solver

Post by jhurtado »

Ric wrote:This has great potential, but I couldn't find any documentation expaining how to use it. Are there any instructions elsewhere?
There are no user manual :(
But you can try to use it with examples, it's not dificult once you understand the sizer philosophy.

Regards
daddydave
Filthy Rich wx Solver
Filthy Rich wx Solver

Post by daddydave »

I'll definitely install this, the screenshots look nice. After piddling around with DialogBlocks, it seems that a tree control is a necessity for sizer manipulation. Hard to see the sizer relationships otherwise.
jhurtado
Experienced Solver
Experienced Solver

Post by jhurtado »

tbreina

Post by tbreina »

There are no user manual Sad
But you can try to use it with examples, it's not dificult once you understand the sizer philosophy.
Jose,

Where are the examples? Do you mean wxWidgets examples?

I tried using it tonight, but can't seem to add anything at all. It just seems to show a tiny gray square. Perhaps someone could create a simple "Hello world!" tutorial to help out. I think once I know how to add components, the rest will be more intuitive.

Thanks.
-Tony
Everybody's got something to hide except for me and my monkey.
jhurtado
Experienced Solver
Experienced Solver

Post by jhurtado »

tbreina wrote: Where are the examples? Do you mean wxWidgets examples?
On %INSTALLDIR%\wxFormBuilder\projects\examples\

example1.xml
example2.xml
tbreina wrote: I tried using it tonight, but can't seem to add anything at all. It just seems to show a tiny gray square. Perhaps someone could create a simple "Hello world!" tutorial to help out. I think once I know how to add components, the rest will be more intuitive.
Try this sequence:

- Create a Dialog (Palette forms : Dialog)
- Create a BoxSizer (Palette layout: wxBoxSizer)
- Create a Button (Palette common: wxButton)
- Edit label property with "Hello World!" :-)

Regards
tbreina

Post by tbreina »

Try this sequence:

- Create a Dialog (Palette forms : Dialog)
- Create a BoxSizer (Palette layout: wxBoxSizer)
- Create a Button (Palette common: wxButton)
- Edit label property with "Hello World!" Smile
Awesome! That's easy and worked just fine for me.

Thanks.
-Tony
Everybody's got something to hide except for me and my monkey.
daddydave
Filthy Rich wx Solver
Filthy Rich wx Solver

Post by daddydave »

I like a lot of things about wxFormBuilder. A few quirks I noticed:

It's interesting that I get the message "You must set a path for files" even though code is actually generated. But I wouldn't know that until clicking the C++ tab. Maybe setting the path could be deferred until I do a save from the C++ tab.

If a control doesn't do anything until I create a form/dialog/ or panel, maybe those controls should be grayed out or invisible? Or do they do something?

The controls on the tabs seem a little odd to me, because I am accustomed to seeing all the controls at the same time. I do appreciate the separation of sizer controls from the other ones. Probably something I could get used to.

Things I like about wxFormBuilder:

Properties are grouped by function.

You can work on multiple forms at one time. I suggest that you enhance this by adding Copy in addition to Cut and Paste, so the user could use a second form as a "sandbox" or testbed.

Property names that match the wxWidgets documentation as closely as possible. It can be frustrating to try to follow sizer tutorials or documentation when this isn't the case.

Good support for sizers (similar to Dialog Blocks visually), including setting growable columns on the FlexGridSizer (a tooltip saying to enter zero-based sizer columns separated by commas would be nice.)
jhurtado
Experienced Solver
Experienced Solver

Post by jhurtado »

daddydave wrote:It's interesting that I get the message "You must set a path for files" even though code is actually generated. But I wouldn't know that until clicking the C++ tab. Maybe setting the path could be deferred until I do a save from the C++ tab.
wxFB needs a path, if path property (of project object) is empty, file won't be generated. Also, you need set the path for bitmaps properties because they are store with a relative path to the path property.
daddydave wrote:If a control doesn't do anything until I create a form/dialog/ or panel, maybe those controls should be grayed out or invisible? Or do they do something?
The number of controls can be so big, checking every palette button could be inefficient. Perhaps it would be enough with a message on status bar to let you know that you can add (or not) a particular control.
daddydave wrote:The controls on the tabs seem a little odd to me, because I am accustomed to seeing all the controls at the same time.
We don't like the component's palette at all. I don't like to go from one tab to another (form -> sizer -> common -> sizer -> ...) we are thinking about it.
daddydave wrote: You can work on multiple forms at one time. I suggest that you enhance this by adding Copy in addition to Cut and Paste, so the user could use a second form as a "sandbox" or testbed.
It's done on CVS, it will be on next release.
Note: You already can copy&paste objects although it doesn't appear on popup menu.

Thank you very much for your feedbacks.

Regards.