InterlockedIncrement?

If you are using the main C++ distribution of wxWidgets, Feel free to ask any question related to wxWidgets development here. This means questions regarding to C++ and wxWidgets, not compile problems.
priyank_bolia
wxWorld Domination!
wxWorld Domination!

InterlockedIncrement?

Post by priyank_bolia »

Any such thing in wxWidgets?
SnakeChomp
Filthy Rich wx Solver
Filthy Rich wx Solver

Post by SnakeChomp »

What are you expecting wxWidgets to be? A port of the win32 api that works on all platforms?

Even though thats basically what it is, there is absolutely no way you can expect an arbitrary win32 function to appear in a cross platform toolkit. If you want to use it on windonws go right ahead. If not, wrap up your counters and provide mutators which increment them using mutex locks.
priyank_bolia
wxWorld Domination!
wxWorld Domination!

Post by priyank_bolia »

Hi SnakeChomp, why are you so angry, I always worked on windows and will continue to be. Also my applications are being developed for the windows only. But I just wanted to know that, is there something that do that, or have to write my own function everytime.
ddaeschl
Knows some wx things
Knows some wx things

Post by ddaeschl »

Hello,

SnakeChomp, all that he probably wanted to know was is there a wxWidgets function for atomic increment and decrement, which is not windows specific by any means, he just wasn't asking the question in a non windows specific manner.

Atomic operations are defined at the processor level, so the functions would have to be written once for each processor type that your application will be running on (x86, POWER, SPARC, etc...)

If your project is open source you should take a look at mono's atomic.h

http://svn.myrealbox.com/viewcvs/trunk/ ... iew=markup

They have source there for multiple interlocked increment operations on many different platforms.
priyank_bolia
wxWorld Domination!
wxWorld Domination!

Post by priyank_bolia »

SnakeChomp, all that he probably wanted to know was is there a wxWidgets function for atomic increment and decrement, which is not windows specific by any means, he just wasn't asking the question in a non windows specific manner.

Atomic operations are defined at the processor level, so the functions would have to be written once for each processor type that your application will be running on (x86, POWER, SPARC, etc...)
I am looking for single statement atomic increment and decrement.
If your project is open source you should take a look at mono's atomic.h

http://svn.myrealbox.com/viewcvs/trunk/ ... iew=markup

They have source there for multiple interlocked increment operations on many different platforms.
But how to use them with wxWidgets.
ssigala
Earned some good credits
Earned some good credits

Post by ssigala »

priyank_bolia wrote: I am looking for single statement atomic increment and decrement.
I assume you are using threads.

The current solution I use is the class wxCriticalSectionLocker:

Code: Select all

static wxCriticalSection gs_critical;
int my_shared_obj;
// ...
void MyClass::Mumble()
{
    if (i_have_to_increment_object) {
       wxCriticalSectionLocker locker(gs_critical);
       ++my_shared_obj;
    }

if (i_have_to_decrement_object) {
       wxCriticalSectionLocker locker(gs_critical);
       --my_shared_obj;
    }
}
Or do you really need to call the processor intrinsic instruction to increment/decrement?
Sandro Sigala - Kynosoft, Brescia
ddaeschl
Knows some wx things
Knows some wx things

Post by ddaeschl »

The only thing I would have against the critical section solution is that it could be a lot more expensive than an atomic increment.

This may not seem like a big deal, but if he is using the operation for something like reference counting of many objects, the extra time can add up very quickly.
priyank_bolia
wxWorld Domination!
wxWorld Domination!

Post by priyank_bolia »

I go with ddaeschl, also for such a simple thing, just to increment a variable like:

Code: Select all

a++;
that much code is ..............
Ryan Norton
wxWorld Domination!
wxWorld Domination!

Post by Ryan Norton »

ddaeschl wrote:The only thing I would have against the critical section solution is that it could be a lot more expensive than an atomic increment.

This may not seem like a big deal, but if he is using the operation for something like reference counting of many objects, the extra time can add up very quickly.
Yes - what he wants is an atomic operation, or spinlock. On MSW it's the InterlockedXXX methods and on linux/unix it's the kernel spin_lock (including OSX, as that's what CF uses for reference counting). Mono's atomic.h is an OK solution but it's processor-specific (mostly assembly) and missing some things.

Other than that you'll have to use a critical section.

There are disadvantages to both - atomic operations steal cpu time while critical sections are slower.
[Mostly retired moderator, still check in to clean up some stuff]
priyank_bolia
wxWorld Domination!
wxWorld Domination!

Post by priyank_bolia »

Old Post, but today I found some interesting blog, which had the answer: __sync_fetch_and_add

http://www.alexonlinux.com/multithreade ... -variables

You should also read the post:
http://www.alexonlinux.com/how-inherita ... rk-in-cpp/
Kraymer
Earned a small fee
Earned a small fee

Post by Kraymer »

I think there's an AtomicIncement method in the development branch and trunk of wxwidgets, but I'm not sure. Also, I don't know it's exact name but it shouldn't be too hard to find it out. AFAIK there's no such thing in the stable versions (<2.9)