How to release source code? Topic is solved

If you are using wxDev-C++ for your wxWidgets design, please ask your questions here instead of in IDE Related.
Louigi Verona
Earned some good credits
Earned some good credits

How to release source code?

Post by Louigi Verona » Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:15 pm

Hey guys )

Say I've written an app with wxDev-C++ and I want to release it under GPL. That means supplying source code. But source code here would require a person to install wxDev-C++ (or wxWidgets) to compile. Which is okay, since it is also free software. But is there a way to get the code which would not rely on wxDev-C++? Or really it is okay and I should just make a package of my project folder available with all the source files in it?

protocol

Post by protocol » Sat Apr 04, 2009 7:24 am

You should try to de-couple it from wxDev, if possible.

But, it should be fine as long as you specify the requirements.
/* UIKit && wxWidgets 2.8 && Cocoa && .Net */
QuRegExmm
wxPCRE & ObjPCRE - Regex It!

Louigi Verona
Earned some good credits
Earned some good credits

Post by Louigi Verona » Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:58 am

I zipped project files, but when tried to open them with wxDev-C++ on another computer, it couldn't include several files.
How to export a project that would be guaranteed to open on a machine that has wxDev-C++?

Auria
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Auria » Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:42 pm

Moving to wxDev-C++ forum :)

Louigi Verona
Earned some good credits
Earned some good credits

Post by Louigi Verona » Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:56 am

Yep, thanks, I think it fits here better...

So - guys! Any advice? Please, please, please!

NinjaNL

Post by NinjaNL » Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:01 am

If you zip up your project folder (assuming that this folder includes all files needed to build your project - images etc.) then this should suffice.

If any user wishes to build your project in a development environment other that wxDevC++ then he should create a suitable project in his own development environment.

If he needs a library to correctly build and run the program then this should be mentioned, but simply listing all used libraries should be sufficient.

I have sucessfully taken source from other environments and built them in wxDev and vice versa.

The only caveat I have is that it is possible for code that successfully builds in one environment to fail in another, but this is due to differences in the compiler mostly (and how standards compatible it is).

One other caution, is to remove all intermediate files and executables before you zip up the project folder, in order to make the archive as small as possible.
Follow the development of my screenplay authoring program at http://wxscreenplaywriter.blogspot.com/

Louigi Verona
Earned some good credits
Earned some good credits

Post by Louigi Verona » Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:22 am

can you then please try to open a project from here? I couldn't do it on another computer - during compilation it issued errors saying it couldn't find files from wx/ folder, although the machine had wxDev-C++ same version installed.

https://sourceforge.net/project/downloa ... a=59108580

NinjaNL

Post by NinjaNL » Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:21 pm

Works for me.

Forgetting form import errors, just creating an empty wxWidgets project, adding source files to project and then compile and run.
Attachments
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (35.69 KiB) Viewed 1985 times
Follow the development of my screenplay authoring program at http://wxscreenplaywriter.blogspot.com/

Louigi Verona
Earned some good credits
Earned some good credits

Post by Louigi Verona » Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:42 pm

Ah! Create an empty project.... I see! Thank you very much for your help =)