Monolithic is a bloated beast.

Talk here about issues with one of the components hosted at wxCode, or suggest features for it.
bdiscoe
In need of some credit
In need of some credit

Monolithic is a bloated beast.

Post by bdiscoe » Fri Jan 06, 2006 8:14 am

I cannot imagine anyone using the monolithic build unless they really don't care about application bloat. Monolithic is a really massive DLL full of stuff almost never needed. I hope nobody is using it for any program which people will have to download.

Jorg

Post by Jorg » Fri Jan 06, 2006 8:33 am

Monolithic should not be used unless you are a lazy developer and want to make it easy for yourself at linker time. The monolithic build is there for backwards compatibility, since 2.5 (I think) they introduced seperate libs, wxadv, wxbase etc which significantly reduced the size.

So, my question to you is, is this simply a rant or do you have a problem with something ?

- Jorgen
Forensic Software Engineer
Netherlands Forensic Insitute
http://english.forensischinstituut.nl/
-------------------------------------
Jorg's WasteBucket
http://www.xs4all.nl/~jorgb/wb

upCASE
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by upCASE » Fri Jan 06, 2006 8:36 am

Hmmm...
So you are refering to the DLL release, right?
I never use wxWidgets as a DLL for releases in the first place. I don't like the idea to ship another DLL with the release.

For a monolithic library, I guess it depends on how good your compiler is in optimizing. With VC there's no real "bloat" when comparing the multilib builds to the monolithic ones. Anyway: It's just another option to do it...
wx: svn
Compiler: gcc 4.5.1, VC 2008, eVC 4

"If it was hard to write it should be hard to read..." - the unknown coder
"Try not! Do. Or do not. There is no try." - Yoda

mispunt
Experienced Solver
Experienced Solver

Post by mispunt » Mon Jan 09, 2006 3:53 pm

When you need a dll to distribute it with youre application, the monolithic build is the best way IMO. as less as dll's as possible.

But when do you need to distribute a dll?
I am working on a project which uses plugins (the same idea as Code::Blocks does.) seperate plugins and an sdk. I think it is easier to use a dll than using "normal" libs. (please give you're opinion about this ;))
btw. when I don't use monolithic build, i have to link to all libraries and I can't find an other way to do it...
Compiler: MingW
wxWidgets version: 2.6.2