Problem Printing From Adobe

Talk here about issues with one of the components hosted at wxCode, or suggest features for it.
rsb
I live to help wx-kind
I live to help wx-kind

Problem Printing From Adobe

Post by rsb »

Hello,

We have a PDF file, attached, that was created from version 0.96 of wxPdfDocument using wxWidgets 3.1.0 on Windows 10.
Compiler is Visual Studio VS14.

When we try to print to an HP printer we get a message box with a message "Flattening". It times out after some
time with a message that it can't print.

This is a fairly large design with thick lines but I'm wondering if this is something that you might have seen before.
Is there any way around this problem. Could this be a problem in wxPdfDocument?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Best Regards,
Bob Bachman
Attachments
BOARD.7z
(327.62 KiB) Downloaded 207 times
utelle

Re: Problem Printing From Adobe

Post by utelle »

Hi Bob,
rsb wrote:We have a PDF file, attached, that was created from version 0.96 of wxPdfDocument using wxWidgets 3.1.0 on Windows 10.
Compiler is Visual Studio VS14.

When we try to print to an HP printer we get a message box with a message "Flattening". It times out after some
time with a message that it can't print.

This is a fairly large design with thick lines but I'm wondering if this is something that you might have seen before.
Is there any way around this problem. Could this be a problem in wxPdfDocument?
From the properties of the PDF document I see that it was created via wxPdfDC. I'm not so sure that that is really the best way to create such complex documents. Nevertheless I don't think that this is a problem specific to wxPdfDocument. IMHO the problem is related to the complexity of the PDF document itself and memory constraints of the printer (or printer driver).

After some searching for reports about PDF printing problems due to "flattening" I found the following article (although not related to wxPdfDocument): Slow Printing from Adobe due to Flattening. Following the advice of item 2 from the "solutions" section of this article (selecting the option "Print as image" from the printing dialog) allowed me to successfully print the document on my HP inkjet printer. (Without using this option I experienced the same problem as you.) Maybe selecting "Print as image" is an operational option for you, too.

Regards,

Ulrich