Using wxPDFDocument in a library Topic is solved

Talk here about issues with one of the components hosted at wxCode, or suggest features for it.
iwbnwif
Super wx Problem Solver
Super wx Problem Solver

Using wxPDFDocument in a library

Post by iwbnwif »

My environment is wxWidgets 2.9.5, MSW 8.1, mingw, CodeLite.

I am trying to modularise my application and would like to include wxPDFDocument in my own DLL (lets call it myCoreDLL) along with a few other core classes. I can build this DLL fine, following the instructions posted here http://forums.wxwidgets.org/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=29473 (at the entry where it is marked solved).

The problem is that when I try to use wxPDFDocument (embedded in myCoreDLL) from my main application I run into problems because the header file wxpdfdoc.h wants to pull in several other header files from a subdirectory of the myCoreDLL source tree (which is not in the include path).

Is there another header file designed for this purpose that I have missed?

Many thanks :)
wxWidgets 3.1.2, MinGW64 8.1.0, g++ 8.1.0, Ubuntu 19.04, Windows 10, CodeLite + wxCrafter
Some people, when confronted with a GUI problem, think "I know, I'll use Eclipse RCP". Now they have two problems.
utelle

Re: Using wxPDFDocument in a library

Post by utelle »

iwbnwif wrote:I am trying to modularise my application and would like to include wxPDFDocument in my own DLL (lets call it myCoreDLL) along with a few other core classes. I can build this DLL fine, following the instructions posted here http://forums.wxwidgets.org/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=29473 (at the entry where it is marked solved).

The problem is that when I try to use wxPDFDocument (embedded in myCoreDLL) from my main application I run into problems because the header file wxpdfdoc.h wants to pull in several other header files from a subdirectory of the myCoreDLL source tree (which is not in the include path).
So why don't you just add the relevant subdirectory (where the wxPdfDocument related header files reside) to the include path of your main application? It's not uncommon that a header file depends on other header files.
iwbnwif wrote:Is there another header file designed for this purpose that I have missed?
Simple answer: No. If you want to hide the wxPdfDocument dependency you have to introduce your own facade class (residing in myCoreDLL and having a single header file) similar to the following code fragment:

Code: Select all

class wxPdfDocument; // No header file required for this forward declaration

class PdfDocumentFacade
{
public:
  // Put here all methods required in your main application
  // ...
private:
  wxPdfDocument* m_pdfDocument;
};
Regards,

Ulrich
iwbnwif
Super wx Problem Solver
Super wx Problem Solver

Post by iwbnwif »

Thank you for such a fast reply!
So why don't you just add the relevant subdirectory (where the wxPdfDocument related header files reside) to the include path of your main application?
Yes, I can do this, I just thought it would be tidier to have just one .h.

I think your facade example will do exactly what I want, however did you mean that I should inherit the facade from wxPdfDocument, i.e. something like

class PdfDocumentFacade : public wxPdfDocument
{
public:
  // ...
private:
};
If I try this then I get compiler errors (mingw gcc) for invalid use of incomplete type 'class wxPdfDocument' and forward declaration of 'class wxPdfDocument'
wxWidgets 3.1.2, MinGW64 8.1.0, g++ 8.1.0, Ubuntu 19.04, Windows 10, CodeLite + wxCrafter
Some people, when confronted with a GUI problem, think "I know, I'll use Eclipse RCP". Now they have two problems.
utelle

Post by utelle »

iwbnwif wrote:
So why don't you just add the relevant subdirectory (where the wxPdfDocument related header files reside) to the include path of your main application?
Yes, I can do this, I just thought it would be tidier to have just one .h.
Well, the wxPdfDocument headers could possibly be redesigned to reduce dependencies. However, you will almost always need to include more than one header file when using wxPdfDocument. Therefore you should either add the path to wxPdfDocument to the include path of your main application or encapsulate the use of wxPdfDocument in your own class.
iwbnwif wrote:I think your facade example will do exactly what I want, however did you mean that I should inherit the facade from wxPdfDocument, i.e. something like

class PdfDocumentFacade : public wxPdfDocument
{
public:
  // ...
private:
};
If I try this then I get compiler errors (mingw gcc) for invalid use of incomplete type 'class wxPdfDocument' and forward declaration of 'class wxPdfDocument'
As you observed yourself, inheriting from wxPdfDocument doesn't solve your problem. For inheriting the compiler needs to know the full specification of the super class. That is, you would have to include "pdfdocument.h".

Using the facade pattern is the only way to avoid to have to include "pdfdocument.h" (and all of its dependencies). That is, as in my code fragment you have only a pointer to a wxPdfDocument instance and you have to declare methods for all operations you want to perform on that wxPdfDocument instance.

It's difficult to tell whether this is worth the effort for just removing the header file dependency. Personally I would probably add the path to wxPdfDocument to the include path. However, it depends on the type of application you are building.

Regards,

Ulrich
iwbnwif
Super wx Problem Solver
Super wx Problem Solver

Post by iwbnwif »

Thank you for the clear and detailed response.

For now I will probably take the simple route and have the path to the include files available for both the application and the plugin projects.