Will the components of wxCode be a part of wxWidgets one day

Talk here about issues with one of the components hosted at wxCode, or suggest features for it.
ccnyou
Knows some wx things
Knows some wx things

Will the components of wxCode be a part of wxWidgets one day

Post by ccnyou »

I'd like to code with wxCurl to support https in my project. I use the wx 2.9.4(svn version). There are some error in wxCurl when I compile wxCurl. How I wish wxCurl could be one part of wxWidgets so that I can use it directly.
utelle

Re: Will the components of wxCode be a part of wxWidgets one

Post by utelle »

ccnyou wrote:I'd like to code with wxCurl to support https in my project. I use the wx 2.9.4(svn version). There are some error in wxCurl when I compile wxCurl.
Unfortunately wxCurl wasn't maintained for about 3 years now. Last changes were made in March 2010. And there are several open bug reports. It's a pity.

That is, you are in fact on your own to fix any issues with wxCurl if you want to use it in your project.
ccnyou wrote:How I wish wxCurl could be one part of wxWidgets so that I can use it directly.
It is very unlikely that any of the wxCode components will ever be integrated into wxWidgets itself. The wxWidgets core developers do not have sufficient capacities to maintain lots of components and code they are not familiar with. Several components that were part of the wxWidgets contrib section were dumped to wxCode years ago for this reason. Not that it did any good to wxCode ... :(

Regards,

Ulrich
tierra
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by tierra »

On the other hand, this is one of the main reasons why they are in wxCode instead of bundled with wxWidgets. They often could use more work and polish, and it's easier for anyone to jump in and contribute to them this way.
utelle

Post by utelle »

tierra wrote:On the other hand, this is one of the main reasons why they are in wxCode instead of bundled with wxWidgets. They often could use more work and polish, and it's easier for anyone to jump in and contribute to them this way.
In principle you are absolutely right. However, almost no one jumped in to take over one of these contributed components.

The situation today is that wxCode is cluttered with unmaintained and/or outdated components not usable with recent wxWidgets releases 2.8.12 resp 2.9.4. Only about 25 % of the wxCode components are actively maintained. This unfortunately makes it difficult to convince new developers to join the wxCode developer team.

Regards,

Ulrich