Some new versions of WebUpdate component  [SOLVED]

Talk here about issues with one of the components hosted at wxCode, or suggest features for it.
Muetdhiver
Super wx Problem Solver
Super wx Problem Solver
Posts: 323
Joined: Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:59 am
Location: Bordeaux, France
Contact:

Some new versions of WebUpdate component

Postby Muetdhiver » Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:14 pm

Hi all,

I'm really interested by the work done by Fransesco Montersi for WebUpdate that is available here:
http://wxcode.sourceforge.net/components/webupdate/

But this application is not maintained anymore since 5 years.
It seems a very powerful component, so i'm very surprised that no one ask question about it or try to get it evolved.

I think it does not build since wxWidgets 2.8 (see this post viewtopic.php?t=25417&highlight=webupdate).

Since I really need such a component, I'm thinking about take the sources and make it build with wx2.8, or maybe wx2.9.x...
I'm also thinking about a major improvement that is a new option for the WebUpdate to automatically get the ability of launching itself if there is a new version available on the remote server.

So my question: Can I develop a new version of WebUpdate and post it to wxCode ?
How can I achieve this ? I tried to contact F. Montorsi but he does not answer me.
For a project that is not maintained anymore on wxCode, can I easily replace the old version (built on wx2.5 / 2.6 ....) with my new version ?

Who must I contact ?

Thanks for your help.

Bye.
OS: Ubuntu 11.10
Compiler: g++ 4.6.1 (Eclipse CDT Indigo)
wxWidgets: 2.9.3

briceandre
Ultimate wxWidgets Guru
Ultimate wxWidgets Guru
Posts: 667
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:22 am
Location: Belgium

Postby briceandre » Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:31 pm

Hello,

You should post a mail on the wxCode-users mailing list:
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/wxcode-users

Fransesco Montersi has just resigned a few days ago from his role as admin of wxCode. Ulrich Telle, which is also active on this forum, is the new admin. I am pretty sure you will get an answer if you post on this mailing list.

Regards,
Brice

Muetdhiver
Super wx Problem Solver
Super wx Problem Solver
Posts: 323
Joined: Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:59 am
Location: Bordeaux, France
Contact:

Postby Muetdhiver » Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:59 pm

Hello and thanks for your answer !

That was exactly what I was doing ! I subscribed to the mailing list few minutes ago !!! lol.

Hope I will get answers.

Thanks and bye. I let this post open and will close it when i'll be able to put a new version of WebUpdate on sourceforge !

Bye
OS: Ubuntu 11.10
Compiler: g++ 4.6.1 (Eclipse CDT Indigo)
wxWidgets: 2.9.3

utelle
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 767
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2005 10:00 pm
Location: Cologne, Germany
Contact:

Re: Some new versions of WebUpdate component

Postby utelle » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:31 pm

Muetdhiver wrote:I'm really interested by the work done by Fransesco Montersi for WebUpdate that is available here:
http://wxcode.sourceforge.net/components/webupdate/

What a coincidence! Just a few days ago on thinking about a web update feature for my current project I remembered Francesco's component.

Muetdhiver wrote:But this application is not maintained anymore since 5 years.

That's not completely true. There was no file release since 2005, that's true, but in the wxCode SVN changes were committed about 8 months ago adapting the component to wxWidgets 2.9.x trunk version.

Muetdhiver wrote:It seems a very powerful component, so i'm very surprised that no one ask question about it or try to get it evolved.

It certainly is a component with good potentials, although I would need to integrate it with another component, wxHTTPEngine, to get a feature which is essential for my own project, namely connecting to the Internet through a proxy server which needs authentication. This is not supported neither by wxWidgets nor by WebUpdate, but as far as I can remember wxHTTPEngine does.

Muetdhiver wrote:I think it does not build since wxWidgets 2.8 (see this post viewtopic.php?t=25417&highlight=webupdate).

I haven't tried recently, but the SVN version should compile with wxWidgets 2.8 and 2.9.

Muetdhiver wrote:Since I really need such a component, I'm thinking about take the sources and make it build with wx2.8, or maybe wx2.9.x...

Just download the code from wxCode SVN and give it a try.

Muetdhiver wrote:I'm also thinking about a major improvement that is a new option for the WebUpdate to automatically get the ability of launching itself if there is a new version available on the remote server.

Sounds nice.

Muetdhiver wrote:So my question: Can I develop a new version of WebUpdate and post it to wxCode ?
How can I achieve this ? I tried to contact F. Montorsi but he does not answer me.

Francesco Montorsi is currently very busy. It might take up to 1 or 2 weeks until he responds, but usually he answers inquiries.

Muetdhiver wrote:For a project that is not maintained anymore on wxCode, can I easily replace the old version (built on wx2.5 / 2.6 ....) with my new version ?

As Brice already told you Francesco resigned recently from his role as wxCode administrator (and I stepped in as his replacement), but WebUpdate is still his component. So we should be polite and ask him whether it's ok if you take over the maintainership of WebUpdate from him. I'll try to contact him.

It's certainly possible to add a new component to wxCode, but let's first try to convince Francesco to hand over the maintainership of his component to you.

Regards,

Ulrich

Muetdhiver
Super wx Problem Solver
Super wx Problem Solver
Posts: 323
Joined: Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:59 am
Location: Bordeaux, France
Contact:

Postby Muetdhiver » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:03 pm

Hi Ulrich and thanks for your answer.
I also saw what you wrote on the mailing list but I answer here !

Francesco wrote me. Normally he should see with you for WebUpdate update.

You are right, I hadn't seen that SVN repository has been modified 8 months ago !
But I didn't used this version, I made few modifications of WebUpdate delivered sources (the old version !) to build with wx 2.8 for now.

My next task is to try to make the patch for the auto updated notification as I mentionned. In this case, i'll simply give you the source code or I will update the SVN if you agree. I think about doing this in the next 2 weeks.

Maybe we can stay in contact by private mail ? In this case, use the forum private message to send me your email address.

Bye and again thanks.
Alexandre.
OS: Ubuntu 11.10
Compiler: g++ 4.6.1 (Eclipse CDT Indigo)
wxWidgets: 2.9.3

utelle
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 767
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2005 10:00 pm
Location: Cologne, Germany
Contact:

  [SOLVED]

Postby utelle » Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:18 pm

Muetdhiver wrote:Francesco wrote me. Normally he should see with you for WebUpdate update.

I got mail from Francesco, too. He agreed to hand over maintainership of his component WebUpdate to you.

Muetdhiver wrote:My next task is to try to make the patch for the auto updated notification as I mentionned. In this case, i'll simply give you the source code or I will update the SVN if you agree. I think about doing this in the next 2 weeks.

There is no hurry.

Muetdhiver wrote:Maybe we can stay in contact by private mail ? In this case, use the forum private message to send me your email address

I send a PM with further information.

Regards,

Ulrich

DaveMurphy
In need of some credit
In need of some credit
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:27 pm
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: Some new versions of WebUpdate component

Postby DaveMurphy » Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:33 pm

Did anything ever happen with this?

I've been trying to build WebUpdate using wxwidgets 2.8.12 for OSX without much success so far. There's a mismatch in the bakefiles which I hacked around for now but even then there seem to be quite a few problems with the source.

This looks like it might be a great base for a new installer I want to put together for the devkitPro toolchains. Any help would be much appreciated.

DaveMurphy
In need of some credit
In need of some credit
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:27 pm
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: Some new versions of WebUpdate component

Postby DaveMurphy » Sat Oct 29, 2011 1:46 pm

I recently got a private message about this but unfortunately I can't reply yet, guess I'm still in some kind of moderation queue.

I had a look through the commit logs and noticed the code had been updated for 2.9.x at some point so it looks like it may no longer be compatible with 2.8.x - I might have another look with a 2.9.x build when I get some time. Is anyone else working on this at all?


Return to “wxCode”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests