DatabaseLayer: difficulty compiling under 64-bit Ubuntu 9.10

Talk here about issues with one of the components hosted at wxCode, or suggest features for it.
awake
In need of some credit
In need of some credit

DatabaseLayer: difficulty compiling under 64-bit Ubuntu 9.10

Post by awake »

I am in the process of searching for a way to connect to SQL Server in a cross-platform program (Windows and Linux primarily; maybe Mac down the road) based on wxWidgets. I have previously used wxSQLite3 with excellent results, but now need to connect to SQL Server. From what I have been able to learn here and elsewhere, DatabaseLayer looks like the way to go.

Except for one problem: I can't seem to get it to compile successfully. I was able to get the SQLite version to compile, but the ODBC version hits an error: cannot convert SQLLEN* to SQLINTEGER*. I'm wondering if this is due to running on 64-bit Linux?? It looked like I might be able to set a flag to make it compile correctly, but I thought I would ask first before going to much further with the trial and error approach.

While I'm asking questions, here are a few more:

1) I am currently using wxWidgets 2.8.10, but would like to upgrade to 2.9 -- will that cause any compatibility problems with DatabaseLayer?

2) Can I substitute the latest SQLite amalgamation in with the DatabaseLayer source code to update to the latest version?

3) There appears to be a TDS backend -- can I compile that to connect to SQL Server without having to go through ODBC?

4) I read a post from jb-coder (March 2009) about a version that dynamically loads the database back end -- but I'm not seeing how that works with the source code that I downloaded?

Basically, the bottom line is that I am a reasonably competent programmer with a good bit of experience using Borland C++ platforms (VCL, etc.). I switched over to Linux a year ago, and have gained some experience and competence in using wxWidgets, but I'm still new enough to Linux that sometimes I am not entirely sure if I'm on the right track. Any help would be most appreciated!