Concerned about the future of WxWidgets

This forum is reserved for everything you want to talk about. It could be about programming, opinions, open source programs, development in general, or just cool stuff to share!
teh_junkie
In need of some credit
In need of some credit

Concerned about the future of WxWidgets

Post by teh_junkie » Thu Mar 23, 2006 1:55 pm

Hi.
Recently, I kind of got into the world of Wxwidgets, adviced by a friend of mine who has been using it for some time now, but Im concerned about one thing: WinFX (or Windows Presentation Foundation) and WinForms.
The problem is, I know wxwidgets is implemented as a wrapper for the underlying OS API, so in win32 its the WinAPI, in Linux its GTK, and so on...
But whats gonna happen on windows? Right now seems like everyone is into the mood for some C# coffee with WinForms, and WinFX is just around the corner, so whats the status with the development of WxWidgets on the win64 platform, maybe porting existing code to WinForms or something?

While Im feeling tempted as well to go the C# way, and I'd like to use WxNET, well, its obvious WxNET is alive because of WxWidgets...

phlox81
wxWorld Domination!
wxWorld Domination!

Post by phlox81 » Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:42 pm

hm, so what...

Win Api is gonna run long time on Windows, even if its probably hasn't a bright future now...

On the other hand, there is C++/CLI, which adds C++ a Interface to .Net.
And there is already a wxNet which covers some aspects.
So, wx has the choice, to go partial under wxNet, or create a wxCLI interface
for Windows Vista.

phlox

ABX
Can't get richer than this
Can't get richer than this

Re: Concerned about the future of WxWidgets

Post by ABX » Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:42 pm

teh_junkie wrote:whats the status with the development of WxWidgets on the win64 platform
AFAIK wxWidgets works fine on 64bit Windows, so... :?:

ABX
CVS Head, 2.8.X
wxMSW, wxWinCE, wxPalmOS, wxOS2, wxMGL, bakefile
gcc 3.2.3, bcc 5.51, dmc 8.48, ow 1.6, vc 7.1, evc 3/4, pods 1.2