Why I don't like wxWidgets.

This forum is reserved for everything you want to talk about. It could be about programming, opinions, open source programs, development in general, or just cool stuff to share!
jb_coder
Super wx Problem Solver
Super wx Problem Solver

Post by jb_coder »

You could always write the UI through wxHTML and have the "skin" be the html page and images in the page.

The QT, GTK, and Java toolkits are skinnable/themable I believe. You could also use the Mozilla framework via XUL.
evendine
Experienced Solver
Experienced Solver

Post by evendine »

I'd say that since you don't have to pay as a user or as a developer of the framework (:wink:) and therefore you can think about what you want, rather than what you must do (because of commercial considerations), we shouldn't complain too much.

This is a community effort through which we are expressing out ideas and dreams, so expect variance (at least at the beginning)...

I think it would really help if there was a structurally standard approach to base class writing and especially if there was a set of worked 'hello world' examples combined with documentation for each class.

Quality assurance seems limited - how about setting up a test group which verifies and certifies new base classes against agreed specifications?
wxLib 3.0.3
MSVS 2010 Ultimate RTMRel v10.0.30319.1
MSVC++ 2010
Windows 7 Ultimate x64 v6.1.7601 SP1
evendine
Experienced Solver
Experienced Solver

Post by evendine »

wxLib 3.0.3
MSVS 2010 Ultimate RTMRel v10.0.30319.1
MSVC++ 2010
Windows 7 Ultimate x64 v6.1.7601 SP1
priyank_bolia
wxWorld Domination!
wxWorld Domination!

Post by priyank_bolia »

What is this, my physics is very poor. How does it relate to wxWidgets.
timw4mail
Experienced Solver
Experienced Solver

Post by timw4mail »

I know I'm relatively new to wxWidgets, but I've already noticed unneeded complexity. I'm trying to write a cross-platform text editor. My previous programming experiences were with VB6, but I got fed up with Microsoft.

Visual Basic does this well, it keeps things simple.

I can only hope that wxWidgets has that goal in mind.
My wxWidgets Program:Snaga

Platforms:Windows, Linux, Solaris, Mac
IDE/Compiler:Netbeans with MinGW/GCC, Sun Compilers for Solaris, Xcode for Mac
wxWidgets Version:2.8.7
priyank_bolia
wxWorld Domination!
wxWorld Domination!

Post by priyank_bolia »

@timw4mail
Simple applications can be always written fast in C# or VB as compared to C++. C++ has always little negative side when it comes to building GUI applications. But assume as your text editor grows, you might be needing fast file reading, ftp support, fancy tabs and so on... then only C++ real power comes to spotlight.
Again that doesn't mean C#/Vb is not suitable for big applications. I am currently busy writing a TTS application and I choose C#, reason better support for SAPI. wxWidgets don't provide me much feature, also the application will be mainly Windows only as Mono might also not provide Speech API.
At the end of the day, you need to understand there is no clear winner, depending on your application and expertise/requirement you have to choose the right tools, rather than using needle everywhere. wxWidgets is a great tool, but there is no silver bullet.
timw4mail
Experienced Solver
Experienced Solver

Post by timw4mail »

Cross-platform has been a major goal, and I realized that C++ and wxWidgets would be the simplest way to go.
My wxWidgets Program:Snaga

Platforms:Windows, Linux, Solaris, Mac
IDE/Compiler:Netbeans with MinGW/GCC, Sun Compilers for Solaris, Xcode for Mac
wxWidgets Version:2.8.7