Free Visual C++ 2005 Express!

This forum is reserved for everything you want to talk about. It could be about programming, opinions, open source programs, development in general, or just cool stuff to share!
priyank_bolia
wxWorld Domination!
wxWorld Domination!

Post by priyank_bolia » Sun Dec 18, 2005 10:26 am

lowjoel wrote:ew, im not thinking that piracy is the way to go
Its the easiest way to support FREE software :P

buildere
Super wx Problem Solver
Super wx Problem Solver

Post by buildere » Mon Dec 19, 2005 1:21 am

Not really, there is enough free software out there to supply almost every need (both open and closed source), unless you have a big bussiness or something too specific. The best way (and maybe the easiest) to support free software is to USE IT, WRITE IT, RECOMMEND IT or DONATE. :D

lowjoel

Post by lowjoel » Mon Dec 19, 2005 1:47 am

go wxDev-C++!

maybe next time i should try to let wxDev communicate with the VC debugger or WinDbg :P

priyank_bolia
wxWorld Domination!
wxWorld Domination!

Post by priyank_bolia » Mon Dec 19, 2005 10:59 am

go wxDev-C++!

maybe next time i should try to let wxDev communicate with the VC debugger or WinDbg
I guess VS is more than a debugger. wxDev though good effort, but currently can't compete with VS. I think the best is if we could create cross platform resources through VS.

cyberkoa
In need of some credit
In need of some credit

Post by cyberkoa » Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:39 pm

4. Can I use Express Editions for commercial use?

Yes, there are no licensing restrictions for applications built using the Express Editions.
iii. Distribution Restrictions. You may not

metalogic
Super wx Problem Solver
Super wx Problem Solver

Post by metalogic » Wed Jan 04, 2006 12:21 am

I think you misunderstand. That refers to Windows .dlls that your Windows binary might need.

If your binary is for Linux it has different dependencies so the above doesn't affect you.

To translate it to everyone, what this really means is "can't run under Wine". I suspect the very same restriction is on the non-Express version.

I know there is a lot of mistrust of Microsoft, whether earned or not. But this really is a free lunch, you can let your guards down :wink:

cpp
I live to help wx-kind
I live to help wx-kind

Post by cpp » Wed Apr 05, 2006 8:36 pm

The only negative point that I found is that Visual Assist does not work with the Express Edition.
So??? One of the good things in VC2005, is that its built-in IntelliSense actually works. for me, it works fine with wxWidgets, and everything ibe thrown at it at least. So why in gods name would you wanna spend extra money to fix something that eint broken?

As for VC Express being a "generous chrismas present" from Microsoft, well, its as "generous" as one can expect from Microsoft. Have your noticed that it does not come with the Win32 SDK by default? i think their "Generosity" is for drawing people to use their .NET stuff.
Hier Kommt die Sonne...

priyank_bolia
wxWorld Domination!
wxWorld Domination!

Post by priyank_bolia » Thu Apr 06, 2006 5:54 am

As for VC Express being a "generous chrismas present" from Microsoft, well, its as "generous" as one can expect from Microsoft
Ya, but the two minus things are still there:
Lack of MFC, I know you are wxWidgets champs, but I am talking from the world's point of view. (I see a lot of oppurtunity to wxWidgets here, which is sorry tp say not 0.0001 utilized.)
Lack of Visual Assist, ya the express is not broken, but VA does more than you expect. Atleast I am addict to it, so I have to move to VS Professsional Version.