Average coding speed?

This forum is reserved for everything you want to talk about. It could be about programming, opinions, open source programs, development in general, or just cool stuff to share!
priyank_bolia
wxWorld Domination!
wxWorld Domination!

Average coding speed?

Post by priyank_bolia » Fri Nov 25, 2005 2:26 pm

I think my speed is too slow, what is the best coding speed, say GUI only, means how many lines of code you can write on an average work day for GUI developement?

benedicte
wxWorld Domination!
wxWorld Domination!

Post by benedicte » Fri Nov 25, 2005 2:33 pm

Some studies were made in France about this.

They consider (on the whole project, from specifications to tests) that 30 lines of code are written (and tested) per day and guy.
The result of the study was not to say "remove specs and test, and you'll increase your coding speed" :wink:

Some others say a simple dialog box can take 1 full day to implement.

priyank_bolia
wxWorld Domination!
wxWorld Domination!

Post by priyank_bolia » Fri Nov 25, 2005 2:39 pm

benedicte wrote: Some others say a simple dialog box can take 1 full day to implement.
Ahh! my speed is much better then. :D

lowjoel

Post by lowjoel » Sat Nov 26, 2005 10:11 am

I don't know about you, I code at 800 per day at tops

Edit: I did 27500 in 2 months... about 30-40 days... ok its about there :P But I do UIs alot slower... took me 1 day to lay out my main frame in wxDev-C++... sizers just compund the whole thing as they don't work etc

Jorg

Post by Jorg » Sat Nov 26, 2005 10:18 am

I don't think you can compare home projects with work projects like this. I work in a professional coding environment, and also in the medical sector. When I write a functionb that can potentially harm a patient, I'd better be coding slow and thinking about it more thoroughly ;-)

Also, when you want to be able to test your code, you incorporate test cases inside the functionality. I think the average is 20% coding time, and 80% writing and testing ... especially when the code is life threatening ;-)

Regards,
- Jorgen
Forensic Software Engineer
Netherlands Forensic Insitute
http://english.forensischinstituut.nl/
-------------------------------------
Jorg's WasteBucket
http://www.xs4all.nl/~jorgb/wb

priyank_bolia
wxWorld Domination!
wxWorld Domination!

Post by priyank_bolia » Sat Nov 26, 2005 10:38 am

lowjoel wrote:I don't know about you, I code at 800 per day at tops

Edit: I did 27500 in 2 months... about 30-40 days... ok its about there :P But I do UIs alot slower... took me 1 day to lay out my main frame in wxDev-C++... sizers just compund the whole thing as they don't work etc
I do 27500 in 2 years... :shock:

Jorg

Post by Jorg » Sat Nov 26, 2005 10:45 am

I guess lowjoel is still a student? I had 60% more time to program when I was a student also ;-)

As obligations stack up, I am lucky if I can program at home two days a week for a staggering 2 hours a day .. cannot du much there. So I enjoy programming at home at holidays mostly.

- Jorgen
Jorg's WasteBucket

priyank_bolia
wxWorld Domination!
wxWorld Domination!

Post by priyank_bolia » Sat Nov 26, 2005 11:16 am

Jorg wrote:I guess lowjoel is still a student? I had 60% more time to program when I was a student also ;-)

As obligations stack up, I am lucky if I can program at home two days a week for a staggering 2 hours a day .. cannot du much there. So I enjoy programming at home at holidays mostly.

- Jorgen
For me a bachelor, home and office don't matter much, I do coding in office only, on holidays also, because I have a good PC and TEA machine there. And 27500 lines of code in 2 months on any project matters much. We are 2 developers on the current project and we have written only 7500 lines of code in the past three months, and then also its the best application, which my company is proud off.

lowjoel

Post by lowjoel » Sat Nov 26, 2005 11:48 am

@Jorg: most of the two months were spent doing testing anyway :P If i discounted testing id say I would be coding at thrice the speed.. for the last one month I was on bug hunting... (i declared bug hunting season open, see :))

and yes im a student.

Oliver
Earned a small fee
Earned a small fee

Post by Oliver » Tue Nov 29, 2005 8:20 am

Well, I think that the line count is a very bad measurement of coding speed. It depends too much on the programming style and personal habits.

For example:
- Some programmers prefer many line breaks e.g. for complicated boolean expressions, long string literals or variable declarations.

- Some programmers use templates, inheritance hierarchies and many small reusable classes to prevent writing much the same code over and over again, others "reuse" their code by copy+paste. I've seen a lot of such code.

- Some programmers make heavy use of assertions, debugging output, bulletproof code with many simple tests and alike.

- Some programmers prefer code that is written to be almost bug-free, extendible, flexible and maintainable, others may consider everything they have written as 'alpha' version.

...and much more.

Just to put in some numbers, my recent project now had a development time (inclusive design, research and coding) of about 40 days with about 7 hours/day. It has

33.919 total lines with
14.736 (43%) code lines,
10.845 (31%) comment lines and
8.655 (25%) blank lines.

Anyway, you don't know nothing about my code, so you can't tell what these statistics mean at all. Just consider the very first TMP program: it had only very few lines but was the foundation of a new programming paradigm!

metalogic
Super wx Problem Solver
Super wx Problem Solver

Post by metalogic » Tue Nov 29, 2005 8:36 am

Well, one of my biggest prides in software is that I can accomplish something better with less lines of code than most of my peers.

So if you were to judge my work by LOC I would be one of the worst developers in the world.

Also, as I get farther in my career, I write less lines of code and spend more time thinking of how a new piece fits in the whole architecture. The irony is that it makes me much more productive.

And like someone said earlier, you can't compare. I maintain a couple of freeware programs in my little spare time while I work on enterprise software at work. The LOC characteristics of each environment are very different.

So LOC is useless as far as I'm concerned. In fact, I'm suspicious of anyone with a high LOC/hour :wink:

lowjoel

Post by lowjoel » Tue Nov 29, 2005 10:12 am

lol, yea. I'm sure for the same amount of code I have now, 6 months ago it would have been double since I didnt use templates and inheritence...

and I figure 6 months down the road i can essentially halve my current line count if I rewrote (which I probably wont)

Ryan Norton

Post by Ryan Norton » Wed Nov 30, 2005 8:36 pm

Holy cow. Great thread.

Anyway, I'm probably slower then everyone here. Most days I don't really do anything at all (~1-10). Not sure, but I guess you need to be in a certain mindset. Other days I can get out quite a bit (~400) - but I'm kind of a slow typer so I wouldn't win any speed contests :).
Last edited by Ryan Norton on Thu Dec 01, 2005 8:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
[Mostly retired moderator, still check in to clean up some stuff]

priyank_bolia
wxWorld Domination!
wxWorld Domination!

Post by priyank_bolia » Thu Dec 01, 2005 6:59 am

I understand that everything cannot be counted by LOC. As I am working on VOIP and using SOAP and other things, so the LOC is very small but the R&D is very huge. I was asking that for basic GUI application, using wxWidgets, what the people productivity. How much simple dialogs and data validation[basic wxwidgets] people generally write on an average, not on a particular day with a good mood. Also it does matter whether they are using it at home or office, or they are employed or student, I am using a 8 hr a day coding, if you code 2 hrs a day, you can multiply it by 4, As I am assuming a work day of 8 hours using wxWidgets.

Jorg

Post by Jorg » Thu Dec 01, 2005 8:29 am

Actually, what does coding speed say ?

- That you are super fast at typing ?
- That you write a lot of code, later on to be refactored to something that is more useful?
- That you don't think before you code, but rather let it flow and not think about design much?

Personally, coding speed does not mean anything. If the code is decent, well testable and also robust, I prefer a longer coding period with a result I am very happy with, when my testers cannot find a bug even if they butcher my application. If I have the same functionality, but faster coded, that would be great but what would be really interesting to see is, if it is as robust as the well-thought solution.

At home I am moving towards a "few hours coding" schedule, meaning I need at least 10 minutes to think what the heck I was doing, and code about 1 or 2 hours .. I have way to much other stuff to do. So my coding speed is low, but at least I have the feeling I am doing something every day ..

At work, the managers seem to be more concerned about "document writing speed" as what they want to see are test plans, test specifications, design documents, and requirement mappings... *sigh* ..

- Jorgen
Jorg's WasteBucket