Submitting patches is not scary :)

This forum is reserved for everything you want to talk about. It could be about programming, opinions, open source programs, development in general, or just cool stuff to share!
metalogic
Super wx Problem Solver
Super wx Problem Solver

Submitting patches is not scary :)

Post by metalogic » Wed Nov 23, 2005 6:09 pm

Just wanted to share my experience submitting my first patch ever to any open-source project.

This sounded intimidating at first. But I finally worked up the courage. All I had to do was: All of the above was easy and took no time. And I'm no C++/wxWidgets guru.

Result? My patch was accepted and applied to CVS within hours! I found that very encouraging. I will definitely be repeating this.

So if you've ever thought about submitting a patch but were a little intimidated, go ahead! It's really not that bad :)

sethjackson
Super wx Problem Solver
Super wx Problem Solver

Re: Submitting patches is not scary :)

Post by sethjackson » Wed Nov 23, 2005 7:55 pm

metalogic wrote:Just wanted to share my experience submitting my first patch ever to any open-source project.

This sounded intimidating at first. But I finally worked up the courage. All I had to do was: All of the above was easy and took no time. And I'm no C++/wxWidgets guru.

Result? My patch was accepted and applied to CVS within hours! I found that very encouraging. I will definitely be repeating this.

So if you've ever thought about submitting a patch but were a little intimidated, go ahead! It's really not that bad :)
I submitted a diff and it still hasn't been fixed. :(

http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.ph ... tid=309863

metalogic
Super wx Problem Solver
Super wx Problem Solver

Post by metalogic » Wed Nov 23, 2005 9:23 pm

Bummer :(

Jorg

Post by Jorg » Wed Nov 23, 2005 9:25 pm

It depends if it is an API change, a fix or an addition. When it is an API change ofcourse you must think about people who depend on the method as-is. If it is a fix to a flaw, then they welcome it..

- Jorgen
Forensic Software Engineer
Netherlands Forensic Insitute
http://english.forensischinstituut.nl/
-------------------------------------
Jorg's WasteBucket
http://www.xs4all.nl/~jorgb/wb

sethjackson
Super wx Problem Solver
Super wx Problem Solver

Post by sethjackson » Wed Nov 23, 2005 10:04 pm

Jorg wrote:It depends if it is an API change, a fix or an addition. When it is an API change ofcourse you must think about people who depend on the method as-is. If it is a fix to a flaw, then they welcome it..

- Jorgen
Yeah true. Mine was a fix to a flaw not an API change. :)

EDIT:

On topic though submitting patches is not sacry and not that difficult. :)

ABX
Can't get richer than this

Post by ABX » Thu Nov 24, 2005 9:01 am

metalogic wrote:So if you've ever thought about submitting a patch but were a little intimidated, go ahead! It's really not that bad :)
Thanks for this encouragement :)

I would like to raise some issues I learned during posting hundreds of patches in the past and accepting them now after having write access.

1. Doing patches is easy. For documentation even easier.

'metalogic' already refered tutorial at wxWidgets. Note that doing documentation patches (the most frequent observation from community is related to minor differences between reality and manuals) is even easier, just try: http://wiki.wxwidgets.org/docpatcher/

2. Don't affraid to post patches because you are newbie.

Newbies are more sensitive to the issues which experienced users ignore due to their knowledge what's good and what's bad. Experienced user never visit ;) install.txt and/or never experiment with unusual build setting. They never assume limits on input parameters and use strange values. wxWidgets should work out of the box. wxWidgets is not only for experienced users. If you think you know how to improve your newbie introduction give it to the community.

3. Don't affraid to post patches because you are experienced from other community that your contribution will be ignored.

Persons with write access are not AI machines. They have real life, real needs, real amount of free time. But that doesn't mean they ignore you. Notification about bugs and patches are automatically forwarded to wx-dev mailing list so there is a great chance that it will be spotted by one of core developers immediatelly. But even if it will be not noticed your issue stays within tracker and is listed in every visit in tracker page. Moreover on statistic page of wxWidgets account at sourceforge.net there is always number of opened issues which mobilizes us to frequently study remaining issues (where 'frequently' is relative :) to other development, phase of roadmap between releases and real life)

4. Don't affraid to post patches because your problem was already raised in wxForum or wx-users mailing list.

Doing commits and development is one thing and posting in wx-users and wxForum is second thing. Just because somebody raised issue in available forums it doesn't mean that we are reading it at the same time we develop. This is simple: wxWidgets developers are just humans. We want to help users as much as we can but between and within long discussions and explanations some small posts without question asked can be easily missed. Even quite important issues can be lost just because developer went into other real life problem after visiting forum. Do not return to this forum after a week saying somebody ignored you. Just allow us to track your contribution and if waiting happens just redirect your issue to tracker.

5. Don't affraid to post patches because your previous patch is still open.

Never assume anything about wxWidgets developers opinion and willings about your patch without any comment given. Testing patches is time consuming, involves testing of more than one platform and as such requires some setup and adequate amount of free time. Sometimes it raises discussion between developers which is invisible to you. Note you can make such waiting shorter yourself. Just try to find somebody who will test your patch before developers and will add feddback to patch tracker. The more opinions added to tracker, the greater chance it will be safer to commit your contribution. Also if there is any discussion predating patch, just add a reference to it if it gives better background about patch details.

6. Don't affraid critics of patch quality.

wxWidgets is complex. wxWidgets is multiplatform. Patches have to silently improve all ports and features which share part of code touched in patch. Moreover they have to be consistent with wxWidgets codings standards which sometimes differ from habits of patch poster. Do not immediatelly take offence when it is pointed out to you. Just help us by giving improved patch once we have time constraints and asked you about corrections.

7. Don't affraid rejected patches. Do not think your time was wasted.

We know you had good intentions doing your patch. We know you made it in your free time. But consider that development is going forward and we fixed already many things in Head of CVS. But think about your finding as lesson about wxWidgets internals which you had to read and understand to solve problem. And what about new features? wxWidgets is not unlimited box. Consider posting new features into wxCode and other nice places.

Thanks in advance for new contributions! :D

(perhaps it belongs to other group of this forum, it's not Open Discussion)
ABX
CVS Head, 2.8.X
wxMSW, wxWinCE, wxPalmOS, wxOS2, wxMGL, bakefile
gcc 3.2.3, bcc 5.51, dmc 8.48, ow 1.6, vc 7.1, evc 3/4, pods 1.2

sethjackson
Super wx Problem Solver
Super wx Problem Solver

Post by sethjackson » Fri Nov 25, 2005 1:00 am

sethjackson wrote:
metalogic wrote:Just wanted to share my experience submitting my first patch ever to any open-source project.

I submitted a diff and it still hasn't been fixed. :(

http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.ph ... tid=309863
Well I just got an e-mail and it has been patched. :) Yippee

priyank_bolia
wxWorld Domination!
wxWorld Domination!

Post by priyank_bolia » Fri Nov 25, 2005 11:46 am

I think sourceforge.net has some problems currently, it log out me automatically, whenever I open some page.

ABX

Post by ABX » Fri Nov 25, 2005 11:56 am

priyank_bolia wrote:I think sourceforge.net has some problems currently, it log out me automatically, whenever I open some page.
I noticed the same thing but in my case I observed that when I performed login it loged me within site prefixed with secure https:// while when I entered through given url it had http://. Once I changed by hand protocol to secure one it keeped my sessions correctly. HTH,

ABX
CVS Head, 2.8.X
wxMSW, wxWinCE, wxPalmOS, wxOS2, wxMGL, bakefile
gcc 3.2.3, bcc 5.51, dmc 8.48, ow 1.6, vc 7.1, evc 3/4, pods 1.2