Very Frustrated with wxWidgets.

This forum is reserved for everything you want to talk about. It could be about programming, opinions, open source programs, development in general, or just cool stuff to share!
qgranfor
Experienced Solver
Experienced Solver

Post by qgranfor » Thu Nov 03, 2005 9:52 pm

Dark Alchemist wrote:Well, the one thing that is getting me is trying to find a nice ide for wxWidgets. I played with Delphi 18 months ago and that had to be the easiest gui making application I have ever seen.

So, I have tried all of the free helper apps on listed on the site and each one is nice in its own way but not exactly what I wanted compared to Delphi.

What do you use? By hand?
I use VisualWX ( http://visualwx.altervista.org/ ) for my WYSIWYG gui/event/sizer building, it's drag-n-drop much like Delphi and Borland Builder. I'm not sure why VisualWX doesn't get mentioned much here.....I think it's pretty good (althought definately has some bugs/quirks). Then I use Code::Blocks and GCC to compile (since I'm targeting Linux as well).

buildere
Super wx Problem Solver
Super wx Problem Solver

Post by buildere » Fri Nov 04, 2005 2:31 am

qgranfor wrote: I'm not sure why VisualWX doesn't get mentioned much here.....
As an anecdote, most of the known RADs are mentioned in this thread:

http://forums.wxwidgets.org/viewtopic.php?t=3344

It's funny to think that the lack of WYSIWYG designers for wxWidgets, wich at some point was mentioned as a drawback of this library, is almost a problem now, but for the opposite reason, wich is ... there are darn too may options :lol: :lol:

Dark Alchemist
Super wx Problem Solver
Super wx Problem Solver

Post by Dark Alchemist » Fri Nov 04, 2005 12:07 pm

Well, after trying every last one of them that is listed @ http://www.wxwidgets.org/lnk_tool.htm EXCEPT wxVisualSetup 2003 (because there is no demo of that one so I consider him a waste of time to even think about) I can say I do not like any of them.

Try Delphi to see what a real, my opinion, gui maker should be like. It will even write the skeleton code for you which I have yet to see any of the wxWidget programs do (skeleton code event handlers which is basically just the OnEvent { //add code here }).

Personally I may go try and find a MFC app or Win32 application and never look at wxWidgets again strictly because I liked what I had in Delphi and that just does not seem to exist for wxWidgets. Might be because you are TOO cross platform but that part I don't know.

Jorg

Post by Jorg » Fri Nov 04, 2005 12:17 pm

Again, everybody has their own opinion on how to generate code.

DialogBlocks has the feature you required. Maybe you should try a copy to evaluate.

Anyway, nothing can beat Delphi in the ease of component programming and RAD gui design. I know, I work with it 8 hours a day (nearly).

But, some come close. Unfortunately grabbing to one concept (that of Delphi) and not liking anything else there is, will leave you stranded. Sometimes one have to give in order to get. Some choose to participate in an IDE design to make it better (the wonders of open source) or others simply accept the limitations because it is free.

- Jorgen
Forensic Software Engineer
Netherlands Forensic Insitute
http://english.forensischinstituut.nl/
-------------------------------------
Jorg's WasteBucket
http://www.xs4all.nl/~jorgb/wb

Dark Alchemist
Super wx Problem Solver
Super wx Problem Solver

Post by Dark Alchemist » Fri Nov 04, 2005 2:51 pm

Well, as I said I do not want to cross platform code at this time so if it is only for Windows then so be it until I am comfortable in designing GUI stuff.

Between you and me I don't like GUI period but it is a necessary evil intodays time.

So, I want something I can whip up quickly with as little interaction as needed so I can instead concentrate on my code. The gui, as far as I am concerned, is a mere after thought.

DialogBlocks looks nice but does it actually have a GUI designer like Delphi or wxDev-Cpp?

Jorg

Post by Jorg » Fri Nov 04, 2005 3:09 pm

DialogBlocks *IS* mainly a GUI designer. Julian recently added other goodies to it, but it can insert events like you want, generate skeleton code and you can real quickly (within minutes) whip up a complex dialog.

Regards,
- Jorgen
Jorg's WasteBucket

upCASE
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by upCASE » Fri Nov 04, 2005 3:37 pm

Dark Alchemist wrote: So, I want something I can whip up quickly with as little interaction as needed so I can instead concentrate on my code. The gui, as far as I am concerned, is a mere after thought.
Then why choose wxWidgets???

Don't get me wrong: IMHO wxWidgets is way better than any other toolkit I used. But if you want to do things quick and only on windows, not really careing about all that GUI stuff, then why not simply stick with MFC or Qt??

Sure, MFC won't be developed any further, but MSVC has a highly capable GUI editor. Qt installs so easy and integrates with MSVC that even the monkey on my back could use it...

Ok, Qt isn't free on all platforms and uses an IMHO very strange event handling system as it introduces another pre-compiler (the infamous MOC), plus it adds some overhead to the code in general, but GUI hacking is really easy with it.

Usability is something that should concern the wxWidgets community. This is what I learned from recent threads. That's why I wrote the installer and will add a project wizard. Now for the GUI editor, this is a harder task. wxWidgets, as I pointed out allready, can be used with multiple compilers on multiple platforms. There is no possible way to cover IDE integration of an editor for all possible IDE & compiler combinations. The editors which are there support the sizer based layout mechanism. That's an essential feature of wxWidgets, just like other layout mechanism in other toolkits are. If you don't want to use it, fine. Then go with MFC...

Sorry for loosing my temper right now. I just don't get why you insist on using something that maybe just doesn't suit your needs and keep telling us what you don't like about it.

In any case, I do not mean to offend you or scare you away. But I do want to put an end to this IMHO senseless discussion about what wxWidgets offers and what you dislike about the available editors. Nobody, neither the wxWidgets devs, nor the people here in this forum get money for what they do.
wx: svn
Compiler: gcc 4.5.1, VC 2008, eVC 4

"If it was hard to write it should be hard to read..." - the unknown coder
"Try not! Do. Or do not. There is no try." - Yoda

Dark Alchemist
Super wx Problem Solver
Super wx Problem Solver

Post by Dark Alchemist » Fri Nov 04, 2005 4:04 pm

Well, I already said Well, as I said I do not want to cross platform code at this time at this time is the key phrase. Doesn't mean I do not have hopes of branching out so MFC is worthless for that and would pidgeon hole me. Qt is very very very expensive for the windows platform and for a hobbyist programmer it is a non option.

Now you know.

Dark Alchemist
Super wx Problem Solver
Super wx Problem Solver

Post by Dark Alchemist » Fri Nov 04, 2005 4:06 pm

Jorg wrote:DialogBlocks *IS* mainly a GUI designer. Julian recently added other goodies to it, but it can insert events like you want, generate skeleton code and you can real quickly (within minutes) whip up a complex dialog.

Regards,
- Jorgen
Thanks Jorg I will look into this package. Since it is for pay it should offer more than the others.

upCASE
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by upCASE » Fri Nov 04, 2005 4:11 pm

Dark Alchemist wrote: Thanks Jorg I will look into this package. Since it is for pay it should offer more than the others.
That depends on your personal likeings.
Another recommendation would be to buy the wxWidgets book. It includes the personal version of DialogBlocks as an addition.
wx: svn
Compiler: gcc 4.5.1, VC 2008, eVC 4

"If it was hard to write it should be hard to read..." - the unknown coder
"Try not! Do. Or do not. There is no try." - Yoda

metalogic
Super wx Problem Solver
Super wx Problem Solver

Post by metalogic » Fri Nov 04, 2005 8:07 pm

Dark Alchemist wrote:Personally I may go try and find a MFC app or Win32 application and never look at wxWidgets again strictly because I liked what I had in Delphi and that just does not seem to exist for wxWidgets. Might be because you are TOO cross platform but that part I don't know.
Dude, seriously!
I'll tell you what the problem is. It's not the tools, it's not C++, it's not wxWidgets. It's your complete lack of willingness to open your mind just a little.

Your never ending rant of uninformed opinions is just annoying me.
* Have you ever looked at MFC? Last time I checked its GUI editor sucked.
* None of the wx designers are as polished as Delphi. That's a fact. Take it or leave it but just get over it.
* "It will even write the skeleton code". So do most of the wx designers. Have you spent 5 minutes with them before posting?

Think about this, Delphi is user friendly but is expensive, MFC is widely used but not cross platform, wxWidgets is awesome but needs a little more work to get going.

It's called trade-offs. Every tool has them. There is no perfect tool. So you either take the good with the bad or you move on. Just stop whining.

BTW, I have no interest in starting a flame war so don't feel compelled to reply.
Last edited by metalogic on Fri Nov 04, 2005 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dark Alchemist
Super wx Problem Solver
Super wx Problem Solver

Post by Dark Alchemist » Fri Nov 04, 2005 9:33 pm

metalogic wrote:
Dark Alchemist wrote:Personally I may go try and find a MFC app or Win32 application and never look at wxWidgets again strictly because I liked what I had in Delphi and that just does not seem to exist for wxWidgets. Might be because you are TOO cross platform but that part I don't know.
Dude, seriously!
I'll tell you what the problem is. It's not the tools, it's not C++, it's not wxWidgets. It's your complete lack of willingness to open your mind just a little.

Your never ending rant of uninformed opinions is just annoying me.
* Have you ever looked at MFC? Last time I checked its GUI editor sucked.
* None of the wx designers are as polished as Delphi. That's a fact. Take it or leave it but just get over it.
* "It will even write the skeleton code". So do most of the wx designers. Have you spent 5 minutes with them before posting?

Think about this, Delphi is user friendly but is expensive, MFC is widely used but not cross platform, wxWidgets is awesome but needs a little more work to get going.

It's called trade-offs. Every tool has them. There is no perfect tool. So you either take the good with the bad or you move on. Just stop wining.

BTW, I have no interest in starting a flame war so don't feel compelled to reply.
Yet your whole post was nothing more then baiting for a flame war.

If Delphi wrote c++ it is what I would stay with but it writes Pascal. I do not care how closed minded I am or how supposedly open yours is I like what I like and I use what I wish to use plus I have opinions and will freely state them.

As far as your statement about whining by your use of that word you have shown me that you really were trying to bait me into a flame war because what you call whining is just an open discussion. If you can't take it then move along and stop reading.

Jorg

Post by Jorg » Fri Nov 04, 2005 10:02 pm

Ok and this is enough for now.

Dark Alchemist, if you were really dissapointed with wxWidgets I would assume you would left the forum by now, so I hope the toolkit will prove you worthy. Believe me I programmed in MFC, it's nearly the same, except no weird strange or hard to understand stuff. They aren't called Microsoft Frustration Classes for nothing. It is a mess in there.

So, if you want to hop aboard, please do so.. I will lock this post as it is going nowhere now. If you decide wxWidgets is not your cup of tea, that's allright too. Please stop posting your dislikes, but give the people positive critisism instead, tell the creators of the IDE's you dislike what can be changed.

GUI's are bad and good. It allows people who do not like to dig into command line options to operate the program more easily. The downside is the programmer has to do more work to please them..

So be it. We left the DOS period a long time ago, so I guess we all have to bite the big one and program a GUI around maybe a trivial piece of software.

Regards,
- Jorgen
Jorg's WasteBucket