Very Frustrated with wxWidgets.

This forum is reserved for everything you want to talk about. It could be about programming, opinions, open source programs, development in general, or just cool stuff to share!
upCASE
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by upCASE » Wed Nov 02, 2005 4:47 pm

Dark Alchemist wrote:Draw on a gridded palette and there you go a gui.
The problem with that is that almost no GUI editor for wxWidgets supports direct positioning, except (AFAIK) wxDev-C++ and my own one (which I consider as "abandoned" for the moment, lacking the time to develop it further).
wxWidgets itself uses a layout mechanism called "sizers", which might be tricky when starting, but is very handy when porting your apps, as it takes different fonts and sizes into count.

My personal editor of choice is wxGlade. wxFormBuilder looks promissing. For Code::Blocks, there's a GUI plugin in development.
wx: svn
Compiler: gcc 4.5.1, VC 2008, eVC 4

"If it was hard to write it should be hard to read..." - the unknown coder
"Try not! Do. Or do not. There is no try." - Yoda

buildere
Super wx Problem Solver
Super wx Problem Solver

Post by buildere » Wed Nov 02, 2005 4:48 pm

Dark Alchemist wrote:Well, the one thing that is getting me is trying to find a nice ide for wxWidgets. I played with Delphi 18 months ago and that had to be the easiest gui making application I have ever seen.

So, I have tried all of the free helper apps on listed on the site and each one is nice in its own way but not exactly what I wanted compared to Delphi.

What do you use? By hand?
wxDevCpp is very similar to Delphi (it is even made using Delphi). Have you tried it?

http://wxdsgn.sourceforge.net/

Also, setting it up from start is very easy. You don't need to install or compile wxWidgets first, you don't need a separate compiler, you don't need to set up environment variables, etc.. I think is perfect for newbies. It has drawbacks, like slow compilation or huge executables (at least until the MS compiler integration is finished), but once you get used to the toolkit, you can look for better options if you want to.

Dark Alchemist
Super wx Problem Solver
Super wx Problem Solver

Post by Dark Alchemist » Wed Nov 02, 2005 5:07 pm

DevCPP was so close to what I was after but even when I let it install MinGW I still couldn't get it to compile anything. No idea why though since you would think it would just take off and go since it is made for gw. Just sits there and does nothing.

What I did do is play with the menu making parts and it felt very similiar to Delphi's but was lacking a snap to grid feature (it seems to always be in free flow).

Once that puppy gets msvc support and a snap to grid feature I am all over it.
Last edited by Dark Alchemist on Wed Nov 02, 2005 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dark Alchemist
Super wx Problem Solver
Super wx Problem Solver

Post by Dark Alchemist » Wed Nov 02, 2005 5:09 pm

upCASE wrote:
Dark Alchemist wrote:Draw on a gridded palette and there you go a gui.
The problem with that is that almost no GUI editor for wxWidgets supports direct positioning, except (AFAIK) wxDev-C++ and my own one (which I consider as "abandoned" for the moment, lacking the time to develop it further).
wxWidgets itself uses a layout mechanism called "sizers", which might be tricky when starting, but is very handy when porting your apps, as it takes different fonts and sizes into count.

My personal editor of choice is wxGlade. wxFormBuilder looks promissing. For Code::Blocks, there's a GUI plugin in development.
I saw wxGlade but I have never been a Linux gui person because I like my linux the way god intended, gui-less. :lol:

wxFormBuilder I am not familiar with at all.

toxicBunny
Super wx Problem Solver
Super wx Problem Solver

Post by toxicBunny » Wed Nov 02, 2005 6:24 pm

Dark Alchemist wrote:I saw wxGlade but I have never been a Linux gui person because I like my linux the way god intended, gui-less. :lol:

wxFormBuilder I am not familiar with at all.
wxGlade is not just a linux-specific designer. There is a version that runs on Windows.

http://wxglade.sourceforge.net/

All, or at least most of, the wxWidgets designers can generate XRC, C++, wxPython code. They generally use sizers to perform the layout instead of strict positioning since this helps when porting to a different OS. It also helps with windows that can be resized by the user.

wxFormBuilder does look interesting though I really haven't spent much time with it. I generally code my GUIs by hand since they aren't very complicated.

http://wxformbuilder.sourceforge.net/index_en.html

CodeBlocks is also a decent GUI designer.

http://www.codeblocks.org/

Dark Alchemist
Super wx Problem Solver
Super wx Problem Solver

Post by Dark Alchemist » Thu Nov 03, 2005 1:55 am

I noticed that it is not so easy to set icons where I need them to be. Like a dialogs menu or in the frame:

Code: Select all

void MyFrame::OnAbout( wxCommandEvent &event )
{
    wxMessageDialog dialog( this, wxT("Some text"),
        wxT(""), wxOK|wxICON_INFORMATION);
    dialog.ShowModal();
}
I would like to use my custom icon I have as a resource.

ABX
Can't get richer than this

Post by ABX » Thu Nov 03, 2005 7:07 am

Dark Alchemist wrote:I noticed that it is not so easy to set icons where I need them to be. Like a dialogs menu or in the frame:

{
    dialog.ShowModal();
}
wxMessageDialog is a wrapper around native dialog which doesn't support changing icon. If you want something with own icon, just create your own wxDialog and add static text, icon and buttons there.

BTW: with such a question this is no more open discussion. Please don't use single thread for many unrelated problems if possible. Thanks in advance.

ABX
CVS Head, 2.8.X
wxMSW, wxWinCE, wxPalmOS, wxOS2, wxMGL, bakefile
gcc 3.2.3, bcc 5.51, dmc 8.48, ow 1.6, vc 7.1, evc 3/4, pods 1.2

Dark Alchemist
Super wx Problem Solver
Super wx Problem Solver

Post by Dark Alchemist » Thu Nov 03, 2005 12:17 pm

ABX wrote:
Dark Alchemist wrote:I noticed that it is not so easy to set icons where I need them to be. Like a dialogs menu or in the frame:

{
    dialog.ShowModal();
}
wxMessageDialog is a wrapper around native dialog which doesn't support changing icon. If you want something with own icon, just create your own wxDialog and add static text, icon and buttons there.

BTW: with such a question this is no more open discussion. Please don't use single thread for many unrelated problems if possible. Thanks in advance.

ABX
Sure whatever but then you break your own rules about this sub forum.

I quote "This forum is reserved for everything you want to talk about. It could be about programming, opinions, open source programs, development in general, or just cool stuff to share!"

I guess you didn't see that part and you have been around longer than I have.

As far as multiple questions on one thread I am used to not cluttering up a board with a multitude of individual questions but if you like a cluttered up board more power to you.

-----

Besides your WAY off the rules response to me I thank you for your help.

upCASE
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by upCASE » Thu Nov 03, 2005 12:43 pm

Dark Alchemist wrote: I quote "This forum is reserved for everything you want to talk about. It could be about programming, opinions, open source programs, development in general, or just cool stuff to share!"

I guess you didn't see that part and you have been around longer than I have.
The description for the "C++ Development" section would also be fitting.
About ABX joining the forum earlier than you: True indeed. I guess he was around even before I was... And I suppose that he read the description.
Dark Alchemist wrote: As far as multiple questions on one thread I am used to not cluttering up a board with a multitude of individual questions but if you like a cluttered up board more power to you.
Nobody wants to stop you from posting everything in one simgle thread. Feel free to do so I you need. But personaly I think that this is "bad style". This board is public, others should be able to read and find posts about specific problems as well. Sure, we could create a thread for every user to post in and the board would still be searchable, but readability would suffer big time...
Then again we have our "answered questions" mod running. This means that if you post something marked as a question, you, as the original poster, are able to "close" the question once you got a fitting answer, or mark other postings as "assisting", meaning they didn't solve the problem, but helped on the way solving it. Solved questions can be searched for. So if I have the same problem as you did, I can search the thread for that, notice it has been solved and read it, because the answer will mostly likely be the one I want as well.

So: It's not about "cluttering" the forum, but to make stuff easily accessible for all members and guests.
wx: svn
Compiler: gcc 4.5.1, VC 2008, eVC 4

"If it was hard to write it should be hard to read..." - the unknown coder
"Try not! Do. Or do not. There is no try." - Yoda

ABX

Post by ABX » Thu Nov 03, 2005 12:55 pm

Dark Alchemist wrote:Sure whatever but then you break your own rules about this sub forum.
My note wasn't about breaking rules of this group but about methodology of building knowledge base for other users who are use to search and select answers looking in which of the groups post was found. Thanks in advance for cooperation.

ABX
CVS Head, 2.8.X
wxMSW, wxWinCE, wxPalmOS, wxOS2, wxMGL, bakefile
gcc 3.2.3, bcc 5.51, dmc 8.48, ow 1.6, vc 7.1, evc 3/4, pods 1.2

Dark Alchemist
Super wx Problem Solver
Super wx Problem Solver

Post by Dark Alchemist » Thu Nov 03, 2005 2:58 pm

I suppose to both of you :) just I didn't understand the need to say that when I asked a programming question it is now no more an (I take this to mean "shouldn't belong in") open discussion.

"BTW: with such a question this is no more open discussion."

Before I asked it I made sure to look what can go here.

I can understand about seperate threads for seperate questions I guess so I will try and get that flow down just odd for me.

Jorg

Post by Jorg » Thu Nov 03, 2005 4:09 pm

Just to end this:

1. If you want to share clearer described problems with their solutions to others, start a different thread that describes it. It is easier for people to filter out "bogus" threads from real problems

2. If you want others to help you besides the ones you are talking to right now, start a new thread. Most of us ignore the posts when they get personal or long

3. If you want to just chat and talk, go ahead, you may use one thread (I am very tolerant ;-) ) but it might happen that people miss out on the real problems you have because you stick them in one big discussion.

I hope your view on wxWidgets has changed a bit, and I hope you are helped. If not, we can at least try to help you more ofcourse! It is not hard to work with wxWidgets, you simply need to know how.

With regards,
- Jorgen
Forensic Software Engineer
Netherlands Forensic Insitute
http://english.forensischinstituut.nl/
-------------------------------------
Jorg's WasteBucket
http://www.xs4all.nl/~jorgb/wb

Dark Alchemist
Super wx Problem Solver
Super wx Problem Solver

Post by Dark Alchemist » Thu Nov 03, 2005 4:18 pm

My view on wxWidgets has changed but my views on what is out there for us gui newbs hasn't.

I am not using wxWidgets for cross platform development at all but instead using it as a MFC replacement. So, I just want something I can whip up a nice gui interface and still use my MSVC compiler. To this end I have yet to find a nice conclusion.

Dev-Cpp is close but lacks the MSVC support I need, it has bugs too and annoyances but it is in beta so I overlook them. :)

People still html code using notepad, vm, and/or pico while others prefer a WYSIWYG type plug and play writer to do it fast and that would be where I am at. I have yet to find anything that is everything I need but I can find bits and pieces from various applications that if combined would be the mega application that would stop the earth from revolving. :lol:

So, I am still frustrated because of the lack of a writing tool for wxwidgets like I had in Delphi but not so much at wxWidgets anymore.

Jorg

Post by Jorg » Thu Nov 03, 2005 6:07 pm

Well as long as wxWidgets is driven by 'enthusiasts' and people who help others and code in their spare time, not much is going to change that. There are some great IDE / GUI editors for wxWidgets but they are not free. My personal fav is DialogBlocks.

When wxWidgets goes commercial, the interest grows bigger and more professional tools will arise. But personally I think we are on the right road now.

- A plugin manager is in conceptual phase (allowing to extend wxWidgets with 3rd party components really easy)
- A setup for windows is already created which will pre-compile wxWidgets for you. In linux this is nearly the same, as the configure & make process is very reliable and standard
- A wizard is on it's way creating a set of sources to your liking without having to code 1 line of code
- For IDE's there are many. wxDev-Cpp, Code::Blocks, wxWorkshop, etc.

A lot is out there, but unfortunately not out of the box. It would ofcourse be great if you install wxWidgets you have one standard IDE, one standard way of making your dialogs, and everthing compiles using a standard compiler. But so many people, so many flavors. So I guess you have to grab everything you find useful and mold wxWidgets to work with that.

This is a very interesting thread for you, as it shows possible combinations of wxWidgets environments:

http://forums.wxwidgets.org/viewtopic.php?t=2751

Regards,
- Jorgen
Forensic Software Engineer
Netherlands Forensic Insitute
http://english.forensischinstituut.nl/
-------------------------------------
Jorg's WasteBucket
http://www.xs4all.nl/~jorgb/wb

Dark Alchemist
Super wx Problem Solver
Super wx Problem Solver

Post by Dark Alchemist » Thu Nov 03, 2005 9:08 pm

That thread is indeed interesting and I can now make .xpm icons thanks to it but just trying to figure out how to use the resource handler in MSVC and Dev-Cpp on the other thread over there.

No need to xpm if you already have an .ico in the resources.