Developing for the Big 3

This forum is reserved for everything you want to talk about. It could be about programming, opinions, open source programs, development in general, or just cool stuff to share!
Virchanza
I live to help wx-kind
I live to help wx-kind

Developing for the Big 3

Post by Virchanza »

Up until today, my network analysis program called Dynamo was only available for MS-Windows and Linux (with GTK+).

Earlier today at about 8am, I started looking into trying to get MacOS to run in a virtual machine on my desktop PC running MS-Windows 10.

Well it's now 1:58pm, so in the past 6 hours I've managed to:

(1) Patch VMWare to allow MacOS as a guest OS
(2) Download and install MacOS Catalina in VMWare (this is legitimate -- no piracy -- as MacOS is free)
(3) Install XCode, command line dev tools, boost and wxWidgets in my MacOS virtual machine with a few one-liners thanks to the "homebrew" program
(4) Make a few tweaks here and there to the Makefile and source code for my 'Dynamo' network analysis application
(5) Compile a 'dummy' binary that has all the GUI but none of the backend functionality
(6) Compile a fully-functional binary that has all the features

I really can't believe that it only took me about 6 hours to go from having no Mac support at all, to having a fully-functional executable binary.

I'm really excited for my next release of Dynamo. It's been 9 years since I released a new version, and there's gonna be a few new very useful features and improvements. I think I will make the effort on getting a nice website too. [-o<
ONEEYEMAN
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Re: Developing for the Big 3

Post by ONEEYEMAN »

Hi,
Last time I heard it is illegal to run OSX inside VM.
But that was a long time ago...

My current guess is that Apple tried to make people purchased the appropriate hardware and use OSX to make their work done.

However now VirtualBox have an option to install OSX inside VM, so I guess it is OK.

I'd also check with the real install of OSX just to make sure that everything will be working correctly.

Now keep in mind that you can also support iOSX (iPhone). wxWidgets have an option to build for an iPhone support.

No Android though.

Thank you.
tierra
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by tierra »

ONEEYEMAN wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:09 pm However now VirtualBox have an option to install OSX inside VM, so I guess it is OK.
This is because the macOS license does allow you to run macOS in a guest VM on macOS host machines (running on Apple hardware). I believe it's even licensed to run in a guest VM on a Windows 10 host, but only if that host is also running on Apple hardware (i.e. through Boot Camp). It's still not licensed to run anywhere else though.

Anyway, congrats Virchanza, that's always great to hear about that much progress and success in such a short amount of time thanks to the portability of using wxWidgets.
ONEEYEMAN
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Post by ONEEYEMAN »

Hi,
Thx for clearing that up.
Its pretty weird to run osx as a guest on osx host
But I guess it's good for testing on the older version.

Thx.
thoray
Knows some wx things
Knows some wx things

Post by thoray »

Now only need to do:
7) testing all program features are working and polished in OS X.
If that was included in those 6 hours I'm very impressed.