wxQT

This forum is reserved for everything you want to talk about. It could be about programming, opinions, open source programs, development in general, or just cool stuff to share!
prokicki
Knows some wx things
Knows some wx things

wxQT

Post by prokicki »

Why not wxQT under linux system?
GTK is nasty. I say about appearance.

Where will I find relation to making of skin in wxWidgets?

Przemek

ps.
I use translator on-line :)
forum C++ in polish
cpp.g5.pl
priyank_bolia
wxWorld Domination!
wxWorld Domination!

Post by priyank_bolia »

I guess QT uses owner draw controls, whereas wxWidgets uses native controls available on the platform. Regarding skining that can still be done in wxWidgtes, though you have to write code for that and the wxPandits keep pressuring not to use owner draw controls in wxWidgets, and clients to use. :D
leio
Can't get richer than this

Re: wxQT

Post by leio »

prokicki wrote:Why not wxQT under linux system?
Because no-one has found the time to do it. And often because of the fact that the justification isn't very big, and therefore the priority is low. QT is GPLed when using the free version, and therefore there are lots of licensing concerns (I'm not telling that they are valid or invalid), and wxGTK already exists - one could just use the gtk-qt theme engine, for example.
prokicki wrote:GTK is nasty. I say about appearance.

Where will I find relation to making of skin in wxWidgets?
Why not just find a better theme for your gtk+?
Change your gtk+ theme, and the appearance of your wxGTK applications changes appropriately.

E.g:
http://ucw.dustbite.net/pics/wxmud/wxmud-gtk2.png
I can't say that this is nasty or ugly...

Imho it's like complaining that WinXP is ugly if you situate on a machine that doesn't have XP themes on, and instead of turning the XP themes on, you complain about bad appearance (disclaimer: your mileage might vary, as one might be in love with the classic appearance of windows)
Compilers: gcc-3.3.6, gcc-3.4.5, gcc-4.0.2, gcc-4.1.0 and MSVC6
OS's: Gentoo Linux, WinXP; WX: CVS HEAD

Project Manager of wxMUD - http://wxmud.sf.net/
Developer of wxGTK;
gtk+ port maintainer of OMGUI - http://www.omgui.org/
Ryan Norton
wxWorld Domination!
wxWorld Domination!

Post by Ryan Norton »

At one point I offered to do this. However, the idea was rejected by most wx-devs.
[Mostly retired moderator, still check in to clean up some stuff]
spicerun
Earned a small fee
Earned a small fee

Post by spicerun »

GTK is nasty. I say about appearance.

I would be in favor of wxQT just as soon as Trolltech's licensing allows the same terms as the wxWidgets libraries, and that you can make applications using the Qtlib under the MinGW tools (and includes freely redistributing the Qtlib with your application without a licensing snafu). But then again, why use Qt lib on Windows when wxWidgets uses the MS API natively?

I have the opposite opinion: I think GTK is a very nice library without the licensing hassles of trolltech (especially in the area of closed applications).
ABX

Post by ABX »

Ryan Norton wrote:
At one point I offered to do this. However, the idea was rejected by most wx-devs.
I don't remember original thread but I would appreciate Ryan that referring to past discussion you could provide link (either to list.wxwidgets.org or to gmane.org) so it could be confirmed by readers that it was really rejected and not just followed with concerns about licenses or priority. Perhaps your "rejected" impression could came from other issues.

I would be personally interested in wxQT existence but that doesn't mean it has to be kept in wxWidgets tree. It can be in form of different repository with own include/wx/qt and src/qt + diff to other wxWidgets files. That could make port available but sources separated. I do this kind of separation myself for wxTV port. Not much time for developing this but it's all the time updated to wxCVS state.

ABX
CVS Head, 2.8.X
wxMSW, wxWinCE, wxPalmOS, wxOS2, wxMGL, bakefile
gcc 3.2.3, bcc 5.51, dmc 8.48, ow 1.6, vc 7.1, evc 3/4, pods 1.2
Ryan Norton
wxWorld Domination!
wxWorld Domination!

Post by Ryan Norton »

ABX wrote:I don't remember original thread but I would appreciate Ryan that referring to past discussion you could provide link (either to list.wxwidgets.org or to gmane.org) so it could be confirmed by readers that it was really rejected and not just followed with concerns about licenses or priority. Perhaps your "rejected" impression could came from other issues.
hmmm... quite right. Here's the thread:

http://lists.wxwidgets.org/cgi-bin/ezml ... lbmoaape#b
[Mostly retired moderator, still check in to clean up some stuff]
ABX

Post by ABX »

Ryan Norton wrote:
ABX wrote:I don't remember original thread but I would appreciate Ryan that referring to past discussion you could provide link (either to list.wxwidgets.org or to gmane.org) so it could be confirmed by readers that it was really rejected and not just followed with concerns about licenses or priority. Perhaps your "rejected" impression could came from other issues.
hmmm... quite right. Here's the thread:

http://lists.wxwidgets.org/cgi-bin/ezml ... lbmoaape#b
"Get the facts." ;)

Looks like in short all the devs accepted possible future port existence but suggested to not waste time working on it until it will be surely cleared from licence doubts.

ABX
CVS Head, 2.8.X
wxMSW, wxWinCE, wxPalmOS, wxOS2, wxMGL, bakefile
gcc 3.2.3, bcc 5.51, dmc 8.48, ow 1.6, vc 7.1, evc 3/4, pods 1.2