Up To Date Documentation Or Good Sources

This forum is reserved for everything you want to talk about. It could be about programming, opinions, open source programs, development in general, or just cool stuff to share!
Xtended
In need of some credit
In need of some credit

Up To Date Documentation Or Good Sources

Post by Xtended »

Can someone please guide me by providing good sources/documentation that I can use in order to learn wxWidgets(C++) environment for Windows 7/Linux and up. By the way I am an experienced C++ programmer. I have a high concentration and expertise primarily writing Console based programs and Utilities.

I am using the following as a starting point:

DialogBlocks = which is pretty good front end for wxWidgets
Cross Platform GUI Programming with wxWidgets = Which looks pretty good but deviate at times.

Thanks In Advance

Xtended
DavidHart
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Up To Date Documentation Or Good Sources

Post by DavidHart »

Hi,

'Cross Platform GUI Programming with wxWidgets' is a reasonable resource if you like learning from books, but be aware that it's several years old now. Most of its examples, and much of its discussion, were based on the wxWidgets samples that came with the then-current source-code (wx2.6.2 iirc).

I suggest you look instead at the samples that come with the wx version that you intend to use; which might be 2.8.12, the latest 'stable' release, or 2.9.4, the latest 'unstable' one. Start with 'minimal'; then perhaps look at 'widgets' to see all the available controls in action.

For documentation there's only one thing better than the current documentation, either for 2.8.12 or 2.9; the latter also has images. The one better thing, of course, is the source-code itself ;) .

Regards,

David