wxWidgets publicity - an idea

This forum is reserved for everything you want to talk about. It could be about programming, opinions, open source programs, development in general, or just cool stuff to share!
upCASE
Site Admin
Site Admin

wxWidgets publicity - an idea

Post by upCASE » Mon Aug 22, 2005 10:17 am

Hi!
This post is mostly interesting for our german visitors as I do have to comment on something "german-specific", but deals with wxWidgets's publicity in general, too.

I just received my copy of the new c't edition (c't = "magazine for computer technologie", a very famous, mostly well respected magazine in germany). On the cover it advertises an article about Qt4 programming. The article is an introduction/tutorial about programming the new version of the Qt toolkit, that will be continued in the next edition.

In the introduction of the article I learned that Qt is (quoting, translated)
the most important, if not the only commercialy used and supported C++ product for platform-independent GUI development.
While this may be true for "commercial support", it obviously isn't for the rest. The article deals with the question, if it's true that one realy has to code one source and compile it on other platforms.

This made me think: Well, that's the same wxWidgets does, why don't they publish an article about wxWidgets??

Now, if a well respected magazine does publish an article about this question and tries to show up a possibility for doing so and proving it, shouldn't somebody jump in and point out the Qt is not the only possible way? Wouldn't that be good for wxWidgets publicity?

As the article points out, Qt has one major drawback for commercial products: It's under the GPL, as long as you don't buy it. wxWidgets doesn't have such a drawback and there are companies that use it.

I don't think that writing them would make them publish an article about wxWidgets, but maybe it could make them publish a comment on wxWidgets, pointing out that there are alternatives, or maybe even publish a review on the new wxBook.

So, couldn't writing to such a magazine help to improve wxWidgets's publicity? Did somebody do this in other countries? What was the effect?

Reading such an article allways makes me feel a little helpless, as I know that an alternative exists, that it is IMHO better and that now many people know about Qt and try it out, but nobody cares about wxWidgets... I had a hard time to find out about wxWidgets myself and I still wonder why, as it is complete, free, actively developed... all the good points I was looking for when searching for an alternative to Qt.

So: Who would be able to write a comment or posting to send them? Should more then one post something, so we get more attention? Or is it simply a nice idea but hopeless?

Again: This should apply for other countries, too, so maybe it would be worth a discussion on the mainling list (which I don't use for posting by the way, so maybe somebody else could do it, if there's interest)...

All I want is that people say "I've heard of it" instead of staring at me when I tell them about wxWidgets...
wx: svn
Compiler: gcc 4.5.1, VC 2008, eVC 4

"If it was hard to write it should be hard to read..." - the unknown coder
"Try not! Do. Or do not. There is no try." - Yoda

Chr
Earned some good credits
Earned some good credits

Post by Chr » Mon Aug 22, 2005 2:01 pm

i've read this article too...
This is a great idea!

Who wants to send them a comment?
maybe an invidual question: http://www.heise.de/ct/faq/anfrage.shtml
or post the author (its name is "ola") directly:
[quote]Die Adresse lautet [email protected], wobei Sie f
wxWidgets is nice

daddydave
Filthy Rich wx Solver
Filthy Rich wx Solver

Post by daddydave » Wed Aug 31, 2005 5:04 am

Bump

It makes you wonder if the magazine actually did any research at all on other toolkits before making that statement.

In what sense is Qt "commercially supported"? I read somewhere there were paid consultants for wxWidgets if you need them. It's also easy to misread "commercial supported," unless they also explain that there is at least one other toolkit that is allowed for commercial applications, which seems more relevant.

daddydave
Filthy Rich wx Solver
Filthy Rich wx Solver

Post by daddydave » Wed Aug 31, 2005 5:14 am

That magazine has a nice article about fooling XP Home into thinking it is XP Professional so that in their words, "In the worst-case scenario, you then might not be able to log on or even start the system at all." Well, at least they're honest.
http://www.heise.de/ct/english/05/12/148/