TOTALLY OFF TOPIC:basic cvs and Tortoise cvs questions

This forum is reserved for everything you want to talk about. It could be about programming, opinions, open source programs, development in general, or just cool stuff to share!
daddydave
Filthy Rich wx Solver
Filthy Rich wx Solver

TOTALLY OFF TOPIC:basic cvs and Tortoise cvs questions

Post by daddydave »

I have Tortoise CVS, although it is a shell for CVSNT I think, so I believe a generic cvs command is fine

I've had a couple of false starts trying to set a cvsroot for my own project as a local repository. How do I undo the cvs init command?
Last edited by daddydave on Wed Aug 17, 2005 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
daddydave
Filthy Rich wx Solver
Filthy Rich wx Solver

Post by daddydave »

[edited] I thought it was cvs remove, but it looks like that just removes files from the repository. Looking to uncreate a repository
daddydave
Filthy Rich wx Solver
Filthy Rich wx Solver

general cvs local repository questions (TortoiseCVS)

Post by daddydave »

do I put my files in the local repository folder e:\cvstest or in the e:\cvstest\CVSROOT folder that was created when I did an init?

if I put a file in cvstest, then try to right-click and Add I get the error
In E:\cvstest: "C:\Program Files\TortoiseCVS\cvs.exe" "-q" "add" "-kb" "outcal.dot"
CVSROOT=:local:e:\cvstest

cvs.exe [add aborted]: Directory e:\cvstest/cvstest does not exist on the server

Error, CVS operation failed
On the other hand, if I put a file in e:\cvstest\CVSROOT, I don't have any right click options on the file except for Preferences, Help, About. So I try to right click on the CVSROOT folder itself and select CVS > Add Contents and it shows the files it created in addition to mine, and for some reason, it doesn't know whether the files it created like CVSROOT\history and CVSROOT\cvsrc are binary or text. And should I really add those files to the repository? So I set the unknowns to Text/ASCII and then I get
In E:\cvstest: "C:\Program Files\TortoiseCVS\cvs.exe" "-q" "add" "CVSROOT"
CVSROOT=:local:e:\cvstest

cvs.exe [add aborted]: Directory e:\cvstest/cvstest does not exist on the server

Error, CVS operation failed
Also do I still need to use checkout even when using a local repository? Maybe that's my problem?

Or is there another version control system that's even easier than TortoiseCVS for a one user, non-server situation? Although everything I've found on the web says TortoiseCVS is supposed to be easy enough my grandmother should be able to use it.
daddydave
Filthy Rich wx Solver
Filthy Rich wx Solver

Post by daddydave »

well I had deleted a folder c:\cvstest\cvstest. When I recreated the folder, I could add the file to the repository

Hmm. I'm still not very comfortable with it even after reading various simple howto guides. I guess I just have to play with the program some more
daddydave
Filthy Rich wx Solver
Filthy Rich wx Solver

Post by daddydave »

I was trying to avoid this, but I guess I need to become familiar with the command line version of it first. I was supposed to checkout, too. So let me beat my desk with my brain a little more, and I'll figure it out. Thanks anyway.