wxWidgets Future?

This forum is reserved for everything you want to talk about. It could be about programming, opinions, open source programs, development in general, or just cool stuff to share!
upCASE

Post by upCASE »

Jorg wrote:I do not agree, as I understood UpCASE correctly it would become a tailor tool for your project. And you either choose UNICODE for your project or normal ANSI encoding (where I assume ANSI is 8-bit encoding).
In fact I could include that. This would mean that the compile time would be even longer, but if you like it, that should be no problem.
Jorg wrote: The cool thing about this setup and compile wizard is that you get a tailored lib / setup.h abd this can be very small. I hope in the end version you can even disable more components like wxGrid, wxDb, wxMediaCtrl, wxZip, etc etc .. all the biggo classes out there.

This would really help making your final distribution very small. Simply point out the target dir, libs are created, use them in your project and done.
I surely can do this. It left that out first, as I only used the "standard" flags for the makefile, but I could include that feature and modify setup.h respectively.
Jorg wrote: Maybe it is also an idea that the source is not even copied over, only the headers and the compiled libraries. This way your develop dir also stays small.
I don't agree on that. The source should allways come with it, but I could clean the temporary builded objects, which would free a lot of space.
wx: svn
Compiler: gcc 4.5.1, VC 2008, eVC 4

"If it was hard to write it should be hard to read..." - the unknown coder
"Try not! Do. Or do not. There is no try." - Yoda
priyank_bolia
wxWorld Domination!
wxWorld Domination!

Post by priyank_bolia »

Whatever the options it has, it looks great, and will definately help wxWidgets a lot in the long run, to attract young minds.
buildere
Super wx Problem Solver
Super wx Problem Solver

Post by buildere »

It looks great upCASE! Could you add an option for storing the settings (in a XML for example) and load them in future builds? (sorry if you already talked about this...)
upCASE

Post by upCASE »

buildere wrote:It looks great upCASE! Could you add an option for storing the settings (in a XML for example) and load them in future builds? (sorry if you already talked about this...)
I could do that, but what are these "future builds" that would use them?

Once it works for VC++, I'll maybe add support for gcc and install some small templates for Dev-C++ (for those that don't use wxDev-C++) and Code:Blocks.
Installing a project wizard and h2help integration for VS are also on my list.

Adding more (if not all) options you have in setup.h would surely be great, too.

Anyway: I'll see if I have something for you to look at and try out starting next week.

Until then: Have a nice weekend.
Last edited by upCASE on Mon Nov 21, 2005 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

buildere
Super wx Problem Solver
Super wx Problem Solver

Post by buildere »

upCASE wrote:
buildere wrote:It looks great upCASE! Could you add an option for storing the settings (in a XML for example) and load them in future builds? (sorry if you already talked about this...)
I could do that, but what are these "future builds" that would use them?
Well, I was talking about something like what Jorg mentioned:
Jorg wrote: I would be very interested in a slim down compile once installer that presents me with a list of things to disable like the wxUSE_?????? macros. Once I can (as developer) slim down wxWidgets by disabling all the cr*p I do not need (wxHTMLWindow, wxWhateverClass), I am sure the apps will become very very small and manageable.
And also this:
Jorg wrote:Some small tips, make the installer so that it can be installed multiple times, in different dirs .. this would be useful to install a wx-copy in a development branch where it is tailored exactly to what you need, and will reduce the footprint.
Specially in the first case, it would be nice to have custom templates, if you know you just want to compile classes X,Y and Z. Also, I guess you'll need those settings if there's a new version of wxWidgets and you have to compile again.
upCASE

Post by upCASE »

Ok, now I understand.
But I guess I don't really need to save all the settings. BTW, wx does this by default for the standard settings (it saves a build.cfg file in the lib\include dir).

The installer is intended, in the first place, for newbies who want to start with wxWidgets, but have no clue where to start. The installer will, for now, try to get the active VC/VS configuration and ask the user what to compile. In a second step it might support other compilers like gcc and give an option to select the compiler to use.

For different build, you can install the sources again in another dir and let it compile again. This results in more HD space waste, but makes sure that builds don't get mixed up.

I'm in the process of finishing some stuff. I guess I can release a preview today. Jorg reported that the initial version worked for him, so unless the installer encounters a rather unusual setup, it should work. Not that so far VC 7 is supported. VC 6 could work to, but only if it has been setup correctly.

upCASE

Post by upCASE »

Hi!
As promised I uploaded a preview of the installer. Find the link here
http://wxwidgets.solidsteel.nl/viewtopic.php?p=21503

travfar
Earned some good credits
Earned some good credits

Post by travfar »

wx really needs some better documentation and/or simplification of the compilation process.

As it is now, you would have to be a compiler guru to make work on mingw32 without lots-and-lots of trial-and-error. At least with wxGLCanvas turned on.

It is also strange to not have binaries avaiable on the website. It's like saying "We think this you should use this great product, but we don't care.". Contradictional when the rest of the site is used to promote the lib.
Wow! I didn't know that. I just went to the normal windows command line and ran make -f makefile.gcc and it worked on my first try. If you ask me wxwidgets is GREAT! It is easy to create GUIs and it can do basically almost everything the standard C library. wxWidgets isn't just a great GUI library it is, in reality, general-purpose programming library.
I see said the blind man to the deaf girl who was mute.

Visit my project at: http://vwp.sourceforge.net

wx version:2.6.2 and 2.6.3 on linux
OS's:Windows XP, Gentoo is the best!!!!!!
compiler:Codeblocks(MingW32) and gcc on linux
buildere
Super wx Problem Solver
Super wx Problem Solver

Post by buildere »

edit: nevermind...