Distributed Compilation for Windows

This forum is reserved for everything you want to talk about. It could be about programming, opinions, open source programs, development in general, or just cool stuff to share!
Tyler
Filthy Rich wx Solver
Filthy Rich wx Solver

Distributed Compilation for Windows

Post by Tyler »

I have been toying with the idea of distributed compilation for Windows applications for some time now and haven't come up with any viable solutions. Does anyone have an approach (other than using Xoreax IncrediBuild) for doing this?

I've considered using linux boxes running distcc with a cross-compiler installed.. but haven't had any luck actually getting a cross-compiler installed. :)

At any rate, any ideas?
Ryan Norton
wxWorld Domination!
wxWorld Domination!

Post by Ryan Norton »

Its an interesting idea... the only place I've heard of people doing this is on OSX with XCode et al because of the slow compiles...
[Mostly retired moderator, still check in to clean up some stuff]
Tyler
Filthy Rich wx Solver
Filthy Rich wx Solver

Post by Tyler »

hmm.. I've thought about writing something to do this.. basically a copy of Xoreax but open source it because I'm sure a lot of people could benefit from this. I didn't think it'd be that hard, just run the compiler on the source file and save the precompiler output to a file... send the precompiler output to various build-contributing PCs.. they compile and send back their object files, then the initiator of the build can link against all the object files returned from the other PCs.

it sounds like something that wouldn't be too hard to do. i got stuck though on retrieving the command line settings to pass to the compiler from the GUI. Whether it be MSVC or DevCpp, the users would want to be able to initiate the build from their GUI. MSVC comes with plugin ability, but retrieving the project build settings from their poorly documented object model for VS 6.0 seems to be an impass (for me). If we could write the front-end for various IDEs to pass the write settings from the IDE to other clients on the network (who have their own local compiler installed) would this really be that hard?

and I hadn't heard of that option for Mac, but for Linux I know of distcc. I can see it now.. distcc with cross-compilers (Mingw) and wx installed to do a distributed build to a non-native environment. i don't think i'd ever get that working correctly.