Got the book

This forum is reserved for everything you want to talk about. It could be about programming, opinions, open source programs, development in general, or just cool stuff to share!
theWolf
Knows some wx things
Knows some wx things

Got the book

Post by theWolf »

The WxWidgets book just arrived (Louisiana - USA - near New Orleans)!
Looks great.
:D
wxWorld Domination!
wxWorld Domination!

Post by priyank_bolia »

Does it contain more than what you can find on internet, because living in India, I can't buy a 2000/- Rs book.
theWolf
Knows some wx things
Knows some wx things

WxBook

Post by theWolf »

Does it contain more than what you can find on internet, because living in India, I can't buy a 2000/- Rs book
It seems to compliment what is available on the net.
(I have learned things that have cleared up misconceptions.)

I'm glad I bought it. :D

I am on page 72 with 2 other stickies at pg 561 (Seting up Ms Visual studio) and 168 (wxGLCanvas). I have also worked with the chapter on drawing.

I may not have read enough to give a definitive answer but if I lost it I'd buy another - quick!
wxWorld Domination!
wxWorld Domination!

Post by priyank_bolia »

I also presume that the book is worth, but on amazom after shipping charges it cost 45$ that is 2000 Indian rupees, So I have to wait 2-3 years for an Indian version. :(
NinjaNL

Post by NinjaNL »

priyank_bolia wrote:So I have to wait 2-3 years for an Indian version. :(
Not so, the publisher will be releasing a pdf version (of the English book) at some point in the future (it says so on his site) but this doesn't help pay the authors for their work.
Follow the development of my screenplay authoring program at http://wxscreenplaywriter.blogspot.com/
upCASE

Post by upCASE »

NinjaNL wrote: Not so, the publisher will be releasing a pdf version (of the English book) at some point in the future (it says so on his site) but this doesn't help pay the authors for their work.
True this doesn't help pay the authors, but it will help to make wxWidgets more public. In case one is really interested, I guess they'll still sell the book as reading a book on screen is not the prefered way (at least for me).
wx: svn
Compiler: gcc 4.5.1, VC 2008, eVC 4

"If it was hard to write it should be hard to read..." - the unknown coder
"Try not! Do. Or do not. There is no try." - Yoda
priyank_bolia
wxWorld Domination!
wxWorld Domination!

Post by priyank_bolia »

True this doesn't help pay the authors, but it will help to make wxWidgets more public. In case one is really interested, I guess they'll still sell the book as reading a book on screen is not the prefered way (at least for me).
I agree those who live in USA and work on widgets will surely like to have that gem in their safe, and people in Asia may be helped by the pdf. So, now I have to wait for the PDF. I think a public pdf version will actually help to spread the work done by the author(not the book, that a small thing compared to the 13 years of work).
priyank_bolia
wxWorld Domination!
wxWorld Domination!

Got a great Link

Post by priyank_bolia »

priyank_bolia
wxWorld Domination!
wxWorld Domination!

Post by priyank_bolia »

You can have a free 14 days account at http://www.safaribooksonline.com/ and start reading the book for free, though I have just tried that and the books seems nice, but I am not sure whether they will bill me or not, they ask for your credit card number at the registration time. Atleast if they bill me also then also it would be 50% less than buying from amazon.
ssigala
Earned some good credits
Earned some good credits

Re: Got the book

Post by ssigala »

theWolf wrote:The WxWidgets book just arrived (Louisiana - USA - near New Orleans)!
I have ordered it through Amazon.com on July, but the order is still on hold... :cry:
The Amazon description of the book says: Availability: Usually ships within 24 hours. Ships from and sold by Amazon.com.
theWolf wrote: Looks great.
I'm sure it does!!!
Sandro Sigala - Kynosoft, Brescia
KevinHock
Filthy Rich wx Solver
Filthy Rich wx Solver

Post by KevinHock »

There were a lot of pre-orders, and they're being shipped out some every day (based on the affiliate reports that I'm getting). I'm sure they're filling them all as fast as they can!