Wanted: A wxWidgets IDE

This forum is reserved for everything you want to talk about. It could be about programming, opinions, open source programs, development in general, or just cool stuff to share!
Ove Svensson
In need of some credit
In need of some credit

Wanted: A wxWidgets IDE

Post by Ove Svensson » Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:50 am

The optimal way to improve and stabilize wxWidgets would be to develop an IDE in wxWidgets and add support to make it a piece of cake to create new wxWidgets apps. Just look at what Eclipse has meant for Java/SWT, both in terms of techincal improvements and populatity. And what Netbeans has meant to Java/Swing.

I have heard rumours about that Borland will add support for wxWidgets in their next version of C++Builder. Does anybody know if they are planning to rewrite the whole IDE in wxWidgets, or if they just will add GUI support?

mispunt
Experienced Solver
Experienced Solver

Re: Wanted: A wxWidgets IDE

Post by mispunt » Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:58 am

Ove Svensson wrote:I have heard rumours about that Borland will add support for wxWidgets in their next version of C++Builder. Does anybody know if they are planning to rewrite the whole IDE in wxWidgets, or if they just will add GUI support?
I didn't heard of it, but if you look for a good IDE written in wxWidgets you should take a look to Code::Blocks
Compiler: MingW
wxWidgets version: 2.6.2

Jorg

Post by Jorg » Thu Jul 14, 2005 12:28 pm

This discussion turns up every now and then. We have discussed an IDE in great lengthts and one thing that just simply is the case right now is that there are a lot of IDE's with their own community behind it. There is no effort done in creating the one modular IDE that can be scaled.

I once started the idea and launched a project, only to find out I do not have the time to start this from the ground up. But what you basically need is a framework with very strong rules and a messaging system. The editor, GUI editor, compiler unit, debugger, class browser etc should be all modular elements, exchangable and only sharing the DOM where the project structure is located in. Messages should be sent back and forth to the modules. I named it wxChameleon back then because basically you can add anything you want to it.

As for CppBuilder X I thought they dropped wxWidgets support?

- Jorgen
Forensic Software Engineer
Netherlands Forensic Insitute
http://english.forensischinstituut.nl/
-------------------------------------
Jorg's WasteBucket
http://www.xs4all.nl/~jorgb/wb

ABX
Can't get richer than this
Can't get richer than this

Post by ABX » Thu Jul 14, 2005 4:49 pm

Ove Svensson wrote:The optimal way to improve and stabilize wxWidgets would be to develop an IDE in wxWidgets and add support to make it a piece of cake to create new wxWidgets apps.
People usually say about improving wxW in the meaning of: threads, event handling, introducing namespaces, using STL, unicode etc. etc. I'm curious how developing IDE could help in all of it. So what "improve" and "stabilize" is supposed to mean in this context?
Ove Svensson wrote:Just look at what Eclipse has meant for Java/SWT, both in terms of techincal improvements and populatity. And what Netbeans has meant to Java/Swing.
I'm not Java/SWT/NetBeans/Swing/whatever user so I would appreciare if you could point and online descriptive story about that (as I understand) succesfull move. From what I noticed playing with Eclipse in PODS (PalmOS Development Suit) it's quite overloaded heavy machine completly useless for me.
Ove Svensson wrote:I have heard rumours about that Borland will add support for wxWidgets in their next version of C++Builder.
Not rumours (http://wxwindows.org/borland01.htm) but also nothing important as appeared.
Ove Svensson wrote:Does anybody know if they are planning to rewrite the whole IDE in wxWidgets, or if they just will add GUI support?
AFAIK since 2 years nothing new from Borland.

ABX
CVS Head, 2.8.X
wxMSW, wxWinCE, wxPalmOS, wxOS2, wxMGL, bakefile
gcc 3.2.3, bcc 5.51, dmc 8.48, ow 1.6, vc 7.1, evc 3/4, pods 1.2

Ove Svensson
In need of some credit
In need of some credit

Post by Ove Svensson » Fri Jul 15, 2005 2:14 pm

ABX wrote:People usually say about improving wxW in the meaning of: threads, event handling, introducing namespaces, using STL, unicode etc. etc. I'm curious how developing IDE could help in all of it. So what "improve" and "stabilize" is supposed to mean in this context?
There are a lot of minor, but irritating, bugs in wxWidgets. Generally there are ways to avoid them, but you might have to spend hours to find the right way. For instance I had problems resizing wxListCtrls in wxGTK, and the solution was to call "event.Skip()" in my Resize function. Not that obvious.

There are also only two ports that are working well - wxMSW and wxGTK. There are room for a lot of improvements in the Motif, Mac and Universal ports (even if the Mac port has improved considerly in the last year.)
Ove Svensson wrote:Just look at what Eclipse has meant for Java/SWT, both in terms of techincal improvements and populatity. And what Netbeans has meant to Java/Swing.
ABX wrote:I'm not Java/SWT/NetBeans/Swing/whatever user so I would appreciare if you could point and online descriptive story about that (as I understand) succesfull move. From what I noticed playing with Eclipse in PODS (PalmOS Development Suit) it's quite overloaded heavy machine completly useless for me.
Netbeans and Eclipse are pushing the boundaries for Swing and SWT. Eclipse is presently the most advanced application written in SWT. It shows what the toolkit is capable of, and all performance tests etc for SWT are using Eclipse as base. The performance of Swing has improved a lot since jdk 1.4, and one main reason is Netbeans. Eclipse is rapidly becoming the standard IDE at my work (at Ericsson) and the management is considering porting applications to SWT. I doubt that SWT had been so popular if it wasn't for Eclipse.